Just Letting Go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Just Letting Go?
(02-12-2013 12:45 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  However, I was Christian from birth until a few months ago, so about 21 years. Alot of it is just engraved into my brain, I guess. Indoctrination, I suppose.

I still have trouble living for NOW, which is what I want to do, but I can't escape this mindset of "what does it matter what I do here, if I wind up being wrong about the afterlife?"
*making a silly, but true, point*
You were born an atheist (had no belief) and then turned into a Christian, not the other way around.

But I know what you are saying (not from personal experience, but from talking to others). "What if I'm wrong." Honestly I don't know the best way to overcome that fear. I can tell you that my last friend that went through that stage seems to be doing well after less than a year. She got over the uncertainty and insecurity with time and personal thought.

So maybe time is the best cure.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
(02-12-2013 12:54 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 12:45 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  However, I was Christian from birth until a few months ago, so about 21 years. Alot of it is just engraved into my brain, I guess. Indoctrination, I suppose.

I still have trouble living for NOW, which is what I want to do, but I can't escape this mindset of "what does it matter what I do here, if I wind up being wrong about the afterlife?"
*making a silly, but true, point*
You were born an atheist (had no belief) and then turned into a Christian, not the other way around.

But I know what you are saying (not from personal experience, but from talking to others). "What if I'm wrong." Honestly I don't know the best way to overcome that fear. I can tell you that my last friend that went through that stage seems to be doing well after less than a year. She got over the uncertainty and insecurity with time and personal thought.

So maybe time is the best cure.

A true point yes, but born into a hyper-conservative Christian family lol, might as well put on the God-trousers before they cut the cord.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. I guess with trying to start a business, looking at what may be my future wife, and trying to start my life anew, I'd just like it sooner than later.
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
(02-12-2013 11:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The world, as the quantumists (and insurance salespersons) tell us, is not about certainty, it's about probability and liklihood.

I am a quantum scientician and I endorse this message.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Answers are boring.

Questioning is much better.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
02-12-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 03:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-12-2013 01:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 11:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The world, as the quantumists (and insurance salespersons) tell us, is not about certainty, it's about probability and liklihood.

I am a quantum scientician and I endorse this message.

And who or what is ultimately responsible for collapsing the wave function and making reality manifest. That's what Girly wants to know. Current thinking is I'm going with Girly. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
JMHO, but I think you are 100% agnostic.

You don't have the knowledge to know either way.

And you know what….its ok to not know everything.

Now go get busy living life.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Dawkins Belief Scale

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
(03-12-2013 12:41 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  JMHO, but I think you are 100% agnostic.

You don't have the knowledge to know either way.

And you know what….its ok to not know everything.

Now go get busy living life.

Not that it entirely matters, but according to that scale, I definitely would not consider myself Pure Agnostic. I do not think there is any good, viable evidence for the belief in God. My issue is less of still thinking God is real, as it is of letting go to 21 years of indoctrination and what are essentially reflexes at this point.