Just a Joke about Canadian lady

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: Just a Joke about Canadian lady
(04-02-2012 01:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think the satire makes it's point.

certainly. And makes quite clear what point of view is represented.

Quote: While there are major issues around the topic of "terrorist detainees" (aka, generically rounded up suspicious types), there is not an answer as simple as, "Just unlock the doors let them go."

It wasn't our door to lock.

Quote: The issue is too complex for either extremist right and left wingers to be correct in their remedial answers.

In the present context, there is no complexity at all.
Citizen of a "democracy" takes elected government to task for contravening its own laws. Citizen told, quite rudely, that it's none of her business what's done in her name, by her representatives, with her national defense and her money.

Quote: I sure am not going to be angry because someone presents a satirical viewpoint.

I am. As a citizen and as a satirist.

(04-02-2012 01:34 PM)kim Wrote:  I read about one of those Canadian hand-over guys who was one of the first let go from Gitmo. They finally let him go - after six years!! He was just some schmo off the street.

He was 15-year-old kid. Guess how well his life is going. Guess how he feels about us.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
04-02-2012, 01:48 PM
(04-02-2012 01:35 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 01:34 PM)kim Wrote:  I read about one of those Canadian hand-over guys who was one of the first let go from Gitmo. They finally let him go - after six years!! He was just some schmo off the street.

He was 15-year-old kid. Guess how well his life is going. Guess how he feels about us.

I can only hope he's an Atheist.
Otherwise, I can picture him with a vest pack of explosives walking into a busy market.
I hate when governments screw with my fertile imagination and make me picture things like that. Angry

Especially when I haven't any alcohol in the house and am too lazy to go out and get any. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
(04-02-2012 01:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Especially when I haven't any alcohol in the house and am too lazy to go out and get any. Angel

I can sympathize, kim!

Luckily, I just found some scotch in the cupboard, so I can suppress my own "fertile imagination" to an almost bearable level. Undecided
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
(04-02-2012 01:08 PM)Zat Wrote:  As the most intelligent and moral of Prime Ministers in Canada, since the seventies, Pierre Elliot Trudeau is on record for opposing the Vietnam War (another US debacle) with these famous words:

Quote:Those who make the conscientious judgment that they must not participate in this war … have my complete sympathy, and indeed our political approach has been to give them access to Canada. Canada should be a refuge from militarism.
– Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau speaking to Mennonite and United Church leaders, 1970 and 1971

... as he was welcoming American draft-dodgers into Canada.

Alas, it has been downhill in Canada, ever since then, as far as governments are concerned, but the people are still the same and still, more or less, sane.

And Lester B. Pearson before him.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
(04-02-2012 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  And Lester B. Pearson before him.

Does the "B" stand for Benoit B. Mandelbrot?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
(04-02-2012 01:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 01:22 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 01:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  there is not an answer as simple as, "Just unlock the doors let them go."

How about "innocent until proven guilty?"

How about speedy trials?

How about the UN declaration of human rights?

Do you think it is enough to utter the magic word of "terrorist" and then sink down to the level of the Gestapo? Angry

Oh, ok, you're right. Using the magic word of "Gestapo" convinced me.
SHEE-BAM!
Goodwin law after a mere 8 posts...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 09:44 PM by Zat.)
(04-02-2012 05:00 PM)Observer Wrote:  Goodwin law after a mere 8 posts...

I used the word 'Gestapo' because I assumed people would recognize it easier than they would its cousins like: Stasi, AVH, NKVD, MBP, KGB, etc., etc.

They all have a few things in common: law to themselves, brutality, torture, paranoia, ruthlessness, extreme measures, like:

Quote:Arrested in Pakistan in March 2002, Abu Zubaydah has been in US custody for more than nine years, four-and-a-half of them as a ghost detainee in the CIA secret prison network. The CIA transferred him between prisons in various countries as part of their extraordinary rendition program. During interrogation in that time he was water-boarded 83 times and has been subjected to numerous other controversial interrogation techniques including forced nudity, sleep deprivation, confinement in small dark boxes, deprivation of solid food, stress positions, and physical assaults. Videotapes of some of his interrogations are amongst those destroyed by the CIA in 2005.[2][3][4][5]

See also at: Wikipedia on Waterboarding, giving you a LOT more information on the history of this torture technique, used enthusiastically, among others, by the Spanish Inquisition, the Khmer Rouge Regime and the Japanese during Word War II (US considered and prosecuted it as war crimes at Nuremberg).

I think that the usage of the 'G' word was justified. Angry
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I never said it wasn't...
just an observation. Don't dwell on it.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
05-02-2012, 10:29 AM
(05-02-2012 10:22 AM)Observer Wrote:  just an observation. Don't dwell on it.

...just making sure! Big Grin
07-02-2012, 04:13 PM
(04-02-2012 01:22 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 01:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  there is not an answer as simple as, "Just unlock the doors let them go."

How about "innocent until proven guilty?"

How about speedy trials?

A non-US citizen is not granted these rights.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain