Just a Joke about Canadian lady

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Just a Joke about Canadian lady
(07-02-2012 04:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  A non-US citizen is not granted these rights.

We are still human beings, living on the same planet.

Tribalism belongs in the Stone Ages and in the minds of similarly primitive people.

Grow up humans !!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
(07-02-2012 04:27 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 04:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  A non-US citizen is not granted these rights.

We are still human beings, living on the same planet.

Tribalism belongs in the Stone Ages and in the minds of similarly primitive people.

Grow up humans !!!!!

I don't consider a speedy trial any kind of human right.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
(07-02-2012 05:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't consider a speedy trial any kind of human right.

Define 'speedy' -- months, years, decades, centuries?

What would you expect/hope for/demand, should you ever need a trial for yourself, or for your loved ones, whether in your own country or in someone else's?
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
08-02-2012, 09:15 AM
(07-02-2012 05:12 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 05:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't consider a speedy trial any kind of human right.

Define 'speedy' -- months, years, decades, centuries?

What would you expect/hope for/demand, should you ever need a trial for yourself, or for your loved ones, whether in your own country or in someone else's?

I agree that it's a fine concept that governments should adopt but you accept the risk of detainment if you break the law in another country. I'm not the person to debate human rights with though.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM
(08-02-2012 09:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  you accept the risk of detainment if you break the law in another country.

Problem is when you do NOT break the law and still get detained for whatever reason.

Happens all the time.

Here is an example.

During the last G8 meeting in Toronto a man was driving near the restricted area. The cops got suspicious because he had a makeshift wooden box tied to the roof of his car.

They stopped him, searched him, opened the box and thew all the contents all over the sidewalk and then arrested him because they found a can of gas, a chainsaw and a cross-bow in the box. They hauled him off to jail where he staid for months, awaiting 'trial'. The dog that was with him in the car just got stuffed in some kennel, nobody heard of the dog since.

After months in jail, awaiting a 'speedy' trial, he was acquitted of all charges.

He had broken no law, he was minding his own business, yet he was arrested and spent months waiting for a trial that should have never been in the first place.
08-02-2012, 09:42 AM
(08-02-2012 09:36 AM)Zat Wrote:  During the last G8 meeting in Toronto a man was driving near the restricted area. The cops got suspicious because he had a makeshift wooden box tied to the roof of his car.

Do you have a link to this story? I'd like to read more about it.
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
(08-02-2012 09:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I agree that it's a fine concept that governments should adopt but you accept the risk of detainment if you break the law in another country.

Yes, indeed. If an American is suspected of breaking a Greek law in Greece, he is investigated, arrested and tried according to Greek jurisprudence.
If a Greek is suspected of breaking an American law, American law applies.

If an Iranian is suspected of breaking any law anywhere, no law applies. He can be arrested and imprisoned indefinitely, without investigation, trial or explanation.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 11:56 AM by Zat.)
One link about the arrest

Another link to the acquittal

Quote:Witnesses said the the man was distraught after being arrested.

"He just didn't know what was going on, next thing you know he's arrested in handcuffs. He was really more concerned about his dog, making sure someone was going to look after his dog," one witness told CBC News.
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
(08-02-2012 10:03 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 09:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I agree that it's a fine concept that governments should adopt but you accept the risk of detainment if you break the law in another country.

Yes, indeed. If an American is suspected of breaking a Greek law in Greece, he is investigated, arrested and tried according to Greek jurisprudence.
If a Greek is suspected of breaking an American law, American law applies.

If an Iranian is suspected of breaking any law anywhere, no law applies. He can be arrested and imprisoned indefinitely, without investigation, trial or explanation.

I hear ya. I'm anti NDAA.

-Mark Twain
08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
That's all i was on about. Supra-legal government agencies, be they called CICS, KGB, Stasi or Homeland Security, unaccountable to elected representatives, are just not funny.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.