Just a cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Just a cold
Last night, my daughter was getting congested like she is getting a cold or having an allergic reaction. This morning she was even more congested and looking miserable. So my wife and I had to decide whether to send her to school or keep her home. So we weighed out the factors - no fever, no flu-specific symptoms, really bad day for either of us parents to stay home with her due to work events, etc. - and finally decided to send her to school. Still, she looked miserable and a little sad and it tore at my heart strings sending her off onto the bus hoping she would feel reasonably ok throughout the day.

And then I found myself thinking about how much I was reacting to just a cold or allergy. And, of course, this is absolutely nothing compared with kids that have cancer, deafness, blindness, missing limbs, or any number of other much more serious and debilitating diseases or conditions. If I have so much trouble watching my daughter suffer with a cold, how much more enormously difficult it must be for the parents of those kids.

And then I felt angry. How do grown adults actually believe that there can be both an "all loving, omnipotent" god and also one who watches all this and does absolutely nothing about it? Moreover, one who actually created all of this?

Believers avoid really thinking about the implications of that with things like "it's all part of God's plan", "there's a greater good", "it's beyond our limited human comprehension", "God works in mysterious ways", "someday in the afterlife we'll understand", and blah, blAH, BLAH! They protect themselves from having to feel guilty about excusing their beloved deity for these horrendous diseases and conditions with such nonsense phrases. It's just sickening. Sad

I know we're all well aware of this here, but I just felt like venting because it hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. Thanks for listening.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-10-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Just a cold
So....you sent her off to infect everyone else?

Dafuq?! Blink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
28-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm so far gone from faith that I can't comprehend their reasoning anymore. At the risk of being offensive to families that have to suffer a sick child.
I think its the Egocentric nature of religious people that leads them to believe even the bad things have divine precedence.
Not that they are bad people. They have just been indoctrinated to believe only their specific cult is special to their god and they are above any one not of their faith. They can even talk one on one with the creator of the universe (that is extreme egotista)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-10-2013, 09:43 AM
(28-10-2013 09:24 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So....you sent her off to infect everyone else?

Dafuq?! Blink

My daughter is pretty responsible about keeping her germs to herself to the degree it's possible. I realize it's not ideal, but my wife has an audit going on at her work place today and I have an out-of-state client coming to mine. It's a big problem for either of us to stay home today. We would have had to do so if my daughter really could not go to school, but since that wasn't the case, we had to send her. I'm sure the germs are already going around without her anyway. It's probably how she got the cold in the first place.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-10-2013, 10:15 AM
(28-10-2013 09:43 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 09:24 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So....you sent her off to infect everyone else?

Dafuq?! Blink

My daughter is pretty responsible about keeping her germs to herself to the degree it's possible. I realize it's not ideal, but my wife has an audit going on at her work place today and I have an out-of-state client coming to mine. It's a big problem for either of us to stay home today. We would have had to do so if my daughter really could not go to school, but since that wasn't the case, we had to send her. I'm sure the germs are already going around without her anyway. It's probably how she got the cold in the first place.

Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.
28-10-2013, 10:25 AM
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 09:43 AM)Impulse Wrote:  My daughter is pretty responsible about keeping her germs to herself to the degree it's possible. I realize it's not ideal, but my wife has an audit going on at her work place today and I have an out-of-state client coming to mine. It's a big problem for either of us to stay home today. We would have had to do so if my daughter really could not go to school, but since that wasn't the case, we had to send her. I'm sure the germs are already going around without her anyway. It's probably how she got the cold in the first place.

Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.
Thought long and hard about that one did you? Rolleyes

Seriously? What rational reason can there possibly be for a god to allow kids to suffer cancer? Do tell. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-10-2013, 10:32 AM
(28-10-2013 09:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Last night, my daughter was getting congested like she is getting a cold or having an allergic reaction. This morning she was even more congested and looking miserable. So my wife and I had to decide whether to send her to school or keep her home. So we weighed out the factors - no fever, no flu-specific symptoms, really bad day for either of us parents to stay home with her due to work events, etc. - and finally decided to send her to school. Still, she looked miserable and a little sad and it tore at my heart strings sending her off onto the bus hoping she would feel reasonably ok throughout the day.

And then I found myself thinking about how much I was reacting to just a cold or allergy. And, of course, this is absolutely nothing compared with kids that have cancer, deafness, blindness, missing limbs, or any number of other much more serious and debilitating diseases or conditions. If I have so much trouble watching my daughter suffer with a cold, how much more enormously difficult it must be for the parents of those kids.

And then I felt angry. How do grown adults actually believe that there can be both an "all loving, omnipotent" god and also one who watches all this and does absolutely nothing about it? Moreover, one who actually created all of this?

Believers avoid really thinking about the implications of that with things like "it's all part of God's plan", "there's a greater good", "it's beyond our limited human comprehension", "God works in mysterious ways", "someday in the afterlife we'll understand", and blah, blAH, BLAH! They protect themselves from having to feel guilty about excusing their beloved deity for these horrendous diseases and conditions with such nonsense phrases. It's just sickening. Sad

I know we're all well aware of this here, but I just felt like venting because it hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. Thanks for listening.

It is totally sickening when you think about it.

BTW I sent my kiddo to school today with a cold. He's been pretty miserable all weekend, but today he's got a field trip and it's a super short week.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-10-2013, 10:36 AM
(28-10-2013 10:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.

Seriously? What rational reason can there possibly be for a god to allow kids to suffer cancer? Do tell. Dodgy

Suffering purifies and god works in mysterious ways. Those who suffer the most are the purest. That's what the nuns told me, so it must be right.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-10-2013, 10:42 AM
(28-10-2013 10:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Thought long and hard about that one did you? Rolleyes

Suffering purifies and god works in mysterious ways. Those who suffer the most are the purest. That's what the nuns told me, so it must be right.
True enough. That's a typical rationalization, but of course they forget that children have nothing to need purification from. Oh, I know, they'll say "original sin", but it's just more nonsense on top of the original nonsense just to avoid admitting that there can't be an all-loving god who could do something about the suffering, but doesn't. (Don't even get me started on why suffering is the chosen method of purification. Dodgy )

28-10-2013, 10:56 AM
(28-10-2013 10:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.

Maybe God wants humans to search for knowledge and find a cure for cancer. Maybe God just wants to watch kids suffer. There could be all sorts of reasons.

Now just because you don't like those reason doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm sure some people don't like your reason for sending your sick kid to school. Some might even make an argument that because you sent your sick kid to school, that makes you a bad parent. Perhaps a few might even deny that you are a parent because no parent would ever make their child go to school sick.

You see how silly this problem with evil in the world argument is? Its just an opinion man. Its certainly not a credible argument for the non-existence of God.