Just a cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: Just a cold
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.

Except , Impulse is not claiming omnibenevolence, and if he was omnipotent he would've dealt with the matter in a different way.

Also, you are an asshole.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
28-10-2013, 11:18 AM
(28-10-2013 10:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Maybe God wants humans to search for knowledge and find a cure for cancer.
Why? He could just remove cancer completely. No suffering and no issue.

(28-10-2013 10:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Maybe God just wants to watch kids suffer.
Maybe, but not an "all loving" god.

(28-10-2013 10:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Now just because you don't like those reason doesn't mean they don't exist.
What I like or don't like has nothing to do with it. Conceptually, an "all loving, omnipotent" god is incompatible with the idea of allowing kids to suffer these horrible things.

(28-10-2013 10:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You see how silly this problem with evil in the world argument is? Its just an opinion man. Its certainly not a credible argument for the non-existence of God.
I see how silly your argument is.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
28-10-2013, 11:23 AM
(28-10-2013 09:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  And then I felt angry. How do grown adults actually believe that there can be both an "all loving, omnipotent" god and also one who watches all this and does absolutely nothing about it? Moreover, one who actually created all of this?

Basically, Christian apologetics work because Christians want it to work. The things they say raise as many questions as they answer, or are basically nonfalsifiable assumptions, but they alleviate the cognitive dissonance at the moment...

...so long as they don't keep peeling the layers of that onion back one at a time. Basically, answer the question at hand, and stop asking questions!
28-10-2013, 11:36 AM
(28-10-2013 11:09 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.

Except , Impulse is not claiming omnibenevolence, and if he was omnipotent he would've dealt with the matter in a different way.

Presumably Impulse thinks he is a good parent, yet it could be argued that he isn't....and apparently I am an asshole for pointing that out. God thinks He is a good God, yet it could be argued that He isn't...does that make Impulse an asshole for pointing that out?

The problem with "the God allows evil arguments and thus can't be omnibenevolent" is that all you are doing is arguing an opinion about God's values relative to your own. They don't really say anything about the existence or non-existence of God.

I forgive you for calling me an asshole btw...and I send my kids to school with colds too. I go to work when I have a cold so I don't really have a problem with Impulses parenting skills.
28-10-2013, 11:43 AM
(28-10-2013 11:18 AM)Impulse Wrote:  What I like or don't like has nothing to do with it. Conceptually, an "all loving, omnipotent" god is incompatible with the idea of allowing kids to suffer these horrible things.

Conceptually, a loving parent is incompatible with the idea of sending a kid to school with a cold.

Your okay with imparting some suffering on your child, so why can't God be okay with imparting some suffering on his children? You just don't like the amount of suffering God allows...which isn't a good argument.
28-10-2013, 11:47 AM
(28-10-2013 11:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 11:09 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Except , Impulse is not claiming omnibenevolence, and if he was omnipotent he would've dealt with the matter in a different way.

Presumably Impulse thinks he is a good parent, yet it could be argued that he isn't....and apparently I am an asshole for pointing that out. God thinks He is a good God, yet it could be argued that He isn't...does that make Impulse an asshole for pointing that out?

The problem with "the God allows evil arguments and thus can't be omnibenevolent" is that all you are doing is arguing an opinion about God's values relative to your own. They don't really say anything about the existence or non-existence of God.

I forgive you for calling me an asshole btw...and I send my kids to school with colds too. I go to work when I have a cold so I don't really have a problem with Impulses parenting skills.

Ok so, we don't know what god's values are relative to our own but, if he did exist, why would anyone want to worship a god whose values are clearly so warped?
Children of religious parents are just as likely to get cancer as those of non religious parents so praying or living a godly life seem to make no difference.
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
28-10-2013, 12:06 PM
(28-10-2013 10:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You see how silly this problem with evil in the world argument is? Its just an opinion man. Its certainly not a credible argument for the non-existence of God.

It's not an argument for god's nonexistence, but it's most certainly an argument for his being a dick, should he exist.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
28-10-2013, 12:24 PM
(28-10-2013 12:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's not an argument for god's nonexistence, but it's most certainly an argument for his being a dick, should he exist.

You can argue anyone is a dick but really what is the point?
28-10-2013, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 12:45 PM by Slowminded.)
(28-10-2013 11:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 11:09 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Except , Impulse is not claiming omnibenevolence, and if he was omnipotent he would've dealt with the matter in a different way.

How would you know what god thinks?
You are an asshole coz you're trying to justify your supposedly omnibenevolent and omnipotent god by compering his actions with actions of a human that doesn't have the same powers.
Impulse did the best he could, but your god could do better but he doesn't choose to.

Quote:The problem with "the God allows evil arguments and thus can't be omnibenevolent" is that all you are doing is arguing an opinion about God's values relative to your own. They don't really say anything about the existence or non-existence of God.
It does say a lot about the existence of a christian god and about his representation in the bible.
If you claim that morals come from god, then the ideas of good and bad come from god, so, if a god does contrary to what we consider is good you can't claim that he is omnibenevolent, because our understanding of omnibenevolence also comes from god.
In other words, what we humans consider good must be the same thing god considers good, because our understanding of good and bad comes from him.

In conclusion, when you see bad things that a omnipotent god could prevent happening , only possible conclusions about god are: he is not omnibenevolent or he is not omnipotent. Or most likely he does not exist.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
28-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Impulse,
Hope your daughter feels better real soon. Colds and allergies happen, so does all the other stuff we have to deal with as parents.

Treat her extra-special tonight...a favorite food, movie, and some snuggles.

It's gonna be fine.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post