Just a cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 12:34 AM
RE: Just a cold
(29-10-2013 02:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "you first"....you sound like my 10 year old. Grow up Anjele, just stop calling people names and attack their arguments instead of them.

How's this..

Fuck you.

Seriously Anjele, go back an review a random sampling of your posts and in each case ask yourself where you fall on Graham's hierarchy of disagreement. I can't think of one instance where you weren't in the bottom three. That's pretty pathetic.

[Image: 707px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 12:48 AM
(29-10-2013 02:00 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:37 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Both are in a position to minimize the suffering of others, yet they choose not too....that is what is the same.

Anyone who takes a position that God should minimize suffering in the world but doesn't minimize suffering in the world themselves is a hypocrite. Dom if you spent money on a latte this morning instead of using that money to feed a hungry person, your just as evil as god. Why? Because you had it in your capacity to minimize suffering and you chose not too.
Again, false equivalence is false.

God could (allegedly) minimize suffering through an infinitesimally small amount of effort, and yet he doesn't. It takes work for people to do that.

Granted, it doesn't mean we shouldn't, but you can always find something more someone could have done. It makes no sense to compare things that people can do to some random, supposedly omnipotent entity.

The reason Dom doesn't minimize suffering in the world is because she has a different agenda. The reason God doesn't minimize suffering in the world is because He has a different agenda. The amount of effort required has nothing to do with it.

Yes the comparison is valid because both could lessen suffering in the world if that is what they wanted to do. You are critical of God but give Dom a pass. That's a double standard.
30-10-2013, 12:54 AM
(29-10-2013 02:38 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  It is not even remotely fair to argue that the power of one man to reduce suffering is the same as the power of an omnipotent being who could eradicate cancer, genocide, rape, starvation, disease, etc. with not more than a sneeze in the right direction.

I'm not arguing the power of one man to reduce suffering in the world is the same as the power of God to reduce suffering in the world. You're making that up. I am saying both are capable of reducing suffering in this world. If your are criticizing God for not reducing suffering in the world when He can, then you should criticize Dom for the same. Also I think Dom is a woman....she might resent you calling her a man.
30-10-2013, 01:11 AM
(29-10-2013 02:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "you first"....you sound like my 10 year old. Grow up Anjele, just stop calling people names and attack their arguments instead of them.

How's this..

Fuck you.

Congratulations....now you sound like a 17 year old.
30-10-2013, 10:19 AM
(29-10-2013 01:37 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 05:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Impulse has a kid with a cold. God tortures and kills people. Biiiiig difference.

Both are in a position to minimize the suffering of others, yet they choose not too....that is what is the same.

Anyone who takes a position that God should minimize suffering in the world but doesn't minimize suffering in the world themselves is a hypocrite. Dom if you spent money on a latte this morning instead of using that money to feed a hungry person, your just as evil as god. Why? Because you had it in your capacity to minimize suffering and you chose not too.

Apples and oranges, yet again...

According to you, God created everything. Therefore, every environment and everything in those environments are God's creations according to you. Therefore, God doesn't just not minimize the suffering, but he created it - all of it - everywhere it exists. I created no suffering. In addition, God can supposedly not only minimize the suffering, but he can completely obliterate it. I cannot. He does not.

Why are you making excuses for a being that creates, allows, and perpetuates suffering?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
30-10-2013, 10:20 AM
(29-10-2013 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well you've rationalized a reason to send your sick kid to school, so maybe God just rationalized a reason to allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world to exist.

Impulse is omnipotent?
Well, not exactly. There are a couple of things I can't do. Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-10-2013, 10:22 AM
(30-10-2013 12:48 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The reason God doesn't minimize suffering in the world is because He has a different agenda.

This is the first sensible thing you have said in this thread. If God exists as an omnipotent, omniscient being, then he obviously could minimize or completely remove the suffering, but he chooses not to do so. So what's that agenda? It can't be anything good. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-10-2013, 10:27 AM
(30-10-2013 12:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 02:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How's this..

Fuck you.

Seriously Anjele, go back an review a random sampling of your posts and in each case ask yourself where you fall on Graham's hierarchy of disagreement. I can't think of one instance where you weren't in the bottom three. That's pretty pathetic.

[Image: 707px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png]
Complete BS. Rolleyes But, even if she was always in the bottom three with you, then you might try asking yourself what it is about your posts that elicits those responses. Consider

30-10-2013, 10:31 AM
(30-10-2013 12:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 02:38 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  It is not even remotely fair to argue that the power of one man to reduce suffering is the same as the power of an omnipotent being who could eradicate cancer, genocide, rape, starvation, disease, etc. with not more than a sneeze in the right direction.

I'm not arguing the power of one man to reduce suffering in the world is the same as the power of God to reduce suffering in the world. You're making that up. I am saying both are capable of reducing suffering in this world. If your are criticizing God for not reducing suffering in the world when He can, then you should criticize Dom for the same. Also I think Dom is a woman....she might resent you calling her a man.
That's like saying if I ignore someone who is crying, it's just as bad as someone else ignoring a person who is about to press the button that releases a nuke on thousands of people. Just as bad... really? Weeping

30-10-2013, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 10:37 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(30-10-2013 12:48 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The reason God doesn't minimize suffering in the world is because He has a different agenda.

You can justify that anyway you like. Read into it however you like. Use it to make yourself feel better.

If someone told you, leaving aside the whole god thing, a story where someone else allowed people to needlessly die because they refused to act, you'd be horrified. Say a burning building or something like that -- and people see the fire, hear the screams of those trapped and refuse to do anything even pick up a cell phone and call for help. They just go about their business and let it burn.

When god does it, you dismiss it and say, "Oh well he has a different agenda."

That's just crap.

BTW:

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon