Just a friendly reminder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
RE: Just a friendly reminder
(04-10-2012 10:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 06:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I, as a narcissistic, will do that by pleasing myself by literally rolling in a giant pile of money, while others will take the more conservative approach and have a family.
Are you rolling in a giant pile of money yet? Laughat

would you point and laugh at a 21year old who wants a family and to get married and who hasn't yet?
Of course I'm not rolling around in a big pile of money, it's a future goal.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 11:41 PM
(04-10-2012 04:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  would you point and laugh at a 21year old who wants a family and to get married and who hasn't yet?
No, because that's a realistic goal.

Unless you meant that you will roll around in a big pile of 10c coins.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-10-2012, 12:05 AM
One day you will get to roll around on a big pile of money.

Just make sure it is your final wish.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
(04-10-2012 11:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 04:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  would you point and laugh at a 21year old who wants a family and to get married and who hasn't yet?
No, because that's a realistic goal.

And there it is.
"It's not realistic"
The default three little words on everybody I encounters mind.

Look, you can go through life being just another face in the crowd all you want. You can have your little nuclear family of pretty wife and 1 and a quarter kids. You can have your 9-5 working for some shuck asshole earning whatever an hour and then when you hit 65 and your kids are all grown up you can retire and live out the rest of your days mostly forgotten by family and friends except for the other old people at the bowls club while life around you carries on like you never existed. And then eventually you will die, 30 people will show up to your funeral and there will be those little sausage rolls that for some reason taste really good at funerals but mildly average everywhere else. They will burry you and the headstone will be nice with some sentimental verse from Hitchens on it. Your children will then spend the next 5years coming to your grave once a year until on the 6th year they don't come and visits are only once every 2 years, then once every 5years, then visits stop. Eventually your children will die and you will be just another headstone in a graveyard. The caretaker will spray you with weed killer. Then several hundred years from now your headstone will be cracked and brittle, it will be covered in moss and pretty much weathered to a pile of rubble. Someone will then buy out the land and because nobody claimed your grave you will not be relocated and a giant Wal-Mart will be built over top of you and will cease to ever be known to the world.
That is your life, that is what you choose. I don't doubt you will achieve it for criticize you for it. So when I say that I don't want that to be my life and that I want to make something of my life or die trying then really, that is my own god damn business and nobody else's, like it or lump it.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-10-2012, 07:53 AM
(05-10-2012 06:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 11:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  No, because that's a realistic goal.

And there it is.
"It's not realistic"
The default three little words on everybody I encounters mind.

Look, you can go through life being just another face in the crowd all you want. You can have your little nuclear family of pretty wife and 1 and a quarter kids. You can have your 9-5 working for some shuck asshole earning whatever an hour and then when you hit 65 and your kids are all grown up you can retire and live out the rest of your days mostly forgotten by family and friends except for the other old people at the bowls club while life around you carries on like you never existed. And then eventually you will die, 30 people will show up to your funeral and there will be those little sausage rolls that for some reason taste really good at funerals but mildly average everywhere else. They will burry you and the headstone will be nice with some sentimental verse from Hitchens on it. Your children will then spend the next 5years coming to your grave once a year until on the 6th year they don't come and visits are only once every 2 years, then once every 5years, then visits stop. Eventually your children will die and you will be just another headstone in a graveyard. The caretaker will spray you with weed killer. Then several hundred years from now your headstone will be cracked and brittle, it will be covered in moss and pretty much weathered to a pile of rubble. Someone will then buy out the land and because nobody claimed your grave you will not be relocated and a giant Wal-Mart will be built over top of you and will cease to ever be known to the world.
That is your life, that is what you choose. I don't doubt you will achieve it for criticize you for it. So when I say that I don't want that to be my life and that I want to make something of my life or die trying then really, that is my own god damn business and nobody else's, like it or lump it.

Lol, Muff!

Let me say first off that I like the fact that you are enterprising and have high goals. I hope you have the backbone to deal with the inevitable failures you will encounter before you succeed. If you do, you are going places.

But life is not at all about all these things you describe.

Life is all about the little things. It's about the minutes and the hours you spend that make up the whole.

In the end, it doesn't matter if there is a funeral or if anyone cares, you won't be there to see. You won't give a shit.

Evaluating your life is all about what matters to you personally and whether you spent your life doing that. Whether you are young or old, it's all about what you do with the time you have. And rich or poor factors little into it, if you have the right mind set you can be in pursuit of happiness in any financial situation.

If rolling in money truly makes you happy, go for it. If that gets stale (and it will) then find what else you want to do. It's all about the sum of minutes you have lived, not about tombstones and people who grieve, or anything else that happens once you are gone. It's about what happens while you are alive, what you will do and feel 5 minutes from now. Is that wasted time? What will you do with the next five minutes?

As far as feeling small and unimportant, probably the universe is some creature's esophagus, and we are a bunch of bacteria living it up in there. Some day the creature may find us troublesome because we are multiplying like rats and take some antibiotics that kill us, or the creature will die and we'll run out of food and blame each other before we die.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:Life is all about the little things. It's about the minutes and the hours you spend that make up the whole.

And having money will allow me to have more of those little minutes with bigger shinny things.

Quote:Evaluating your life is all about what matters to you personally and whether you spent your life doing that.

Yes I am aware of this, thus said goals.
People go through life doing their 9-5 etc.. and have all these dreams "I want to be a fireman!" etc.. but never do it. My dream is be filthy rich, so I'm going for it. At least if I fail which I do recognize is a slight possibility due to non-me related incidences I will be able to say at the end that "well, at least I gave it a crack" which is a hell of a lot more then most people can say.

Quote:Whether you are young or old, it's all about what you do with the time you have.

And being rich would give me more options. Want to travel the world, I can, want to feed the hungry, I can (I wont, but I can), want to work a 9-5 in a shitty job, I can. etc...
Which again, is more then what most people can say. Most people don't have options. And you say it like all I do is 100% money money. I mean I want it to spend it, I don't want it to look at the number in my bank account.
Warren Buffet, he earns 60million a year. Wanna know how much he spends? $150,000 a year. Total nob. But that is how he chooses to live and he has that option because he's filthy rich.

Quote:if you have the right mind set you can be in pursuit of happiness in any financial situation

Sure, but "money doesn't buy happiness" is a god damn dirty lie.

Quote:If rolling in money truly makes you happy, go for it.

Thank you for giving me permission to live my life..

Quote:If that gets stale (and it will) then find what else you want to do.

That was the general plan. Like university now, it's boring as fuck, "stale". I wanna do something else, BUT I'm poor as shit and kinda stuck in my current situation. If I was rich, I'd have options.

Quote:It's all about the sum of minutes you have lived

I think you get the general gist of the theme I'm going with on this post to know what I'm going to say in response to this.

05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
(05-10-2012 06:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Life is all about the little things. It's about the minutes and the hours you spend that make up the whole.

And having money will allow me to have more of those little minutes with bigger shinny things.

Quote:Evaluating your life is all about what matters to you personally and whether you spent your life doing that.

Yes I am aware of this, thus said goals.
People go through life doing their 9-5 etc.. and have all these dreams "I want to be a fireman!" etc.. but never do it. My dream is be filthy rich, so I'm going for it. At least if I fail which I do recognize is a slight possibility due to non-me related incidences I will be able to say at the end that "well, at least I gave it a crack" which is a hell of a lot more then most people can say.

Quote:Whether you are young or old, it's all about what you do with the time you have.

And being rich would give me more options. Want to travel the world, I can, want to feed the hungry, I can (I wont, but I can), want to work a 9-5 in a shitty job, I can. etc...
Which again, is more then what most people can say. Most people don't have options. And you say it like all I do is 100% money money. I mean I want it to spend it, I don't want it to look at the number in my bank account.
Warren Buffet, he earns 60million a year. Wanna know how much he spends? $150,000 a year. Total nob. But that is how he chooses to live and he has that option because he's filthy rich.

Quote:if you have the right mind set you can be in pursuit of happiness in any financial situation

Sure, but "money doesn't buy happiness" is a god damn dirty lie.

Quote:If rolling in money truly makes you happy, go for it.

Thank you for giving me permission to live my life..

Quote:If that gets stale (and it will) then find what else you want to do.

That was the general plan. Like university now, it's boring as fuck, "stale". I wanna do something else, BUT I'm poor as shit and kinda stuck in my current situation. If I was rich, I'd have options.

Quote:It's all about the sum of minutes you have lived

I think you get the general gist of the theme I'm going with on this post to know what I'm going to say in response to this.

This is all good and fine, but what you don't realize is that you get very stuck making money. It eats up years and you have to be prepared for that. You may well find yourself working 7 days a week, 14 hours a day for years on end before you get to where you have your current dreams set. And, most people (google the rich) end up stuck in that for life - because making money is addictive by itself when you are good at it.

Not that there is anything wrong wth that, but it's not what you are dreaming of.

Still, I would encourage you to have at it. I am all for giving everything a shot.

And just because you fail, once or several times, doesn't mean that you have failed for good. That's where the losers get sifted out from the winners. Perseverance.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
(03-10-2012 01:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think science is taking the wrong road here. Religion came about because people did not know the answers to questions, they wanted things explained such as "where did everything come from" and so religion filled that void. I think that is what science is doing currently. People still have that human instinct to want to know where everything came from whether they believe in God or not, and so I think science is catering to that. Atheists and theists alike. And so effectively what I'm saying is that we are simply just going to replace one falsehood for another falsehood, well in fact I am saying that is exactly what has happened already.
Science should stay the fuck away from the question of "where did everything come from" simply because we cannot and will never know.
I dunno, whatever, carry on.

Great graphics and post Muffy. I especially like the part where Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. Still wish I could hang on for another 4 billion years to see that. Shy

I do understand what you are saying about replacing one falsehood for another, but science really doesn't do that. As far as "where did everything come from?" is concerned - science really didn't pull that one out of their asses - that's a human thing.

It is our curiosity that makes us ask and seek answers to questions. Just because someone sees no merit in a question asked or a statement posited, doesn't mean that everyone should stop trying to see if there's anything in it for them.

Can you see into the future, Muffs? Do you know for certain if you will one day be financially well off; stinking, bloody, rich? No. Excuse me; shit no. Are you going to stop trying to bust your ass getting someplace as yet unattainable? Your answer better also be shit no or I'll come to NZ and personally beat your little ass.

The thing is, if science stops trying a thing - anything - they could risk not running across what may be, as yet unattainable. Don't want to fuck with someone's Holy Grail, do ya? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:This is all good and fine, but what you don't realize is that you get very stuck making money. It eats up years and you have to be prepared for that. You may well find yourself working 7 days a week, 14 hours a day for years on end before you get to where you have your current dreams set. And, most people (google the rich) end up stuck in that for life - because making money is addictive by itself when you are good at it.

Not everyone that has money "gets stuck making money".
Look at Opera, she had her last session a while back.
Look at Bill Gates, hardly has anything to do with Micorsoft, he's focused today on his charity work.
Yes some people do, but some people don't either. There are plenty of cases where the founders of things are relaxing on an island somewhere because they built something up to a point and then simply sold it off.
Given the price is right I could very easily see myself doing the same.

It's all down to the individual and I as an individual know what I will and wont do.

Quote: I especially like the part where Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. Still wish I could hang on for another 4 billion years to see that.

It wouldn't be that much of a sight if you were. Due to the distance's between stars nothing will actually go boom and collide. Plus it'll be a very very very long and drawn out process.
But still, it would be fascinating to see the outcome.

Quote: I especially like the part where Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. Still wish I could hang on for another 4 billion years to see that.

I know science doesn't but I'm saying it's what people attach to it.
Like people see things today that you either believe God created everything, or the Big Bang did. It's lumping the BBT into a group that it isn't in (source of all things).
And I think people, atheists especially, see the BBT in that light. That the BBT is the answer. It's replacing one falsehood for another.

Quote:science really didn't pull that one out of their asses - that's a human thing.

But science and humans are connected. The humans ask the questions and the humans use science to answer them. So science is limited to the questions we choose to ask.

Quote:It is our curiosity that makes us ask and seek answers to questions.

I think people are misunderstanding me. I am all for seeking new knowledge, seeking what's out there. I mean hell, I love this space shit, I find it fascinating. But people have the problem of wanting to know so so bad that they will accept anything to answer that question if they can't find it. Religion is the obvious big example of this.
It's one of human kinds biggest flaws I think, that we can't accept that sometimes we just don't know.

Quote:Can you see into the future, Muffs?

I assume this is a rhetorical question.

06-10-2012, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 02:46 AM by Vosur.)
(05-10-2012 06:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Look, you can go through life being just another face in the crowd all you want. You can have your little nuclear family of pretty wife and 1 and a quarter kids. You can have your 9-5 working for some shuck asshole earning whatever an hour and then when you hit 65 and your kids are all grown up you can retire and live out the rest of your days mostly forgotten by family and friends except for the other old people at the bowls club while life around you carries on like you never existed. And then eventually you will die, 30 people will show up to your funeral and there will be those little sausage rolls that for some reason taste really good at funerals but mildly average everywhere else. They will burry you and the headstone will be nice with some sentimental verse from Hitchens on it. Your children will then spend the next 5years coming to your grave once a year until on the 6th year they don't come and visits are only once every 2 years, then once every 5years, then visits stop. Eventually your children will die and you will be just another headstone in a graveyard. The caretaker will spray you with weed killer. Then several hundred years from now your headstone will be cracked and brittle, it will be covered in moss and pretty much weathered to a pile of rubble. Someone will then buy out the land and because nobody claimed your grave you will not be relocated and a giant Wal-Mart will be built over top of you and will cease to ever be known to the world.
That is your life, that is what you choose. I don't doubt you will achieve it for criticize you for it.
Care to elaborate on how that's what I chose for my life? As a matter of fact, neither do I want to marry, nor do I want to have kids, nor do I want to have a Hitchens quote on my tomb stone. Where in the fuck did you get any of that from?

(05-10-2012 06:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So when I say that I don't want that to be my life and that I want to make something of my life or die trying then really, that is my own god damn business and nobody else's, like it or lump it.
I agree that it's your business what you do with your life, but if you're going to post your plans on a public forum, you should expect to be laughed at by people who think that it's an unrealistic, perhaps even naive goal. That being said, you will end up just like everyone else, forgotten by the world after a few decades. Being able to roll in a pile of money won't change anything at that.

Edit: I almost forgot. You can have both a wife and kids and roll around in a big pile of money. These goals are not mutually exclusive.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]