Just a guy looking for some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2016, 06:29 AM
RE: Just a guy looking for some advice
Mmmmm Pavlova.

[Image: pavlova-9947_l.jpeg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2016, 06:34 AM
(17-07-2016 06:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Mmmmm Pavlova.

[Image: pavlova-9947_l.jpeg]

Wonder if it got that name from all the drooling going on??

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-07-2016, 07:48 AM
1. You're not alone
2. You're not crazy.

I think what you are experiencing is the result of years of indoctrination. Instead of learning how to think, you were being taught what to think. This is very bad when you are a child and are unaware of good epistemology and that was never taught to you. Instead of being taught logic and reason, you were taught prayer. That is the only thing your mind understands how to do. I don't think your case is as unusual as you may think. I think Chas' suggestion of a cognitive therapist is spot on. They may be able to help you relearn how to think without reciting a prayer. Best of luck and welcome.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
17-07-2016, 11:23 AM
I'll echo what others have said by saying that whatever your difficulties are you will likely overcome them more rapidly with outside help. A cognitive therapist sounds like an excellent idea. A professional who can help you through this will be invaluable. They'll also be able to give you an accurate assessment on whether OCD is involved or not. It sounds like it could be but we're just a bunch of people on the interweb with zip for training so take anything we say with more than just one grain of salt.

No worries about being laughed at. Aside from the fact that there are Rules against that sort of nonsense in this section, this simply isn't something that I would ever find amusing in the slightest. If you read through some of the posts below you'll see some of the other damage that religion has done to good people. I count myself amongst the lucky who escaped that tragedy. It's more rage-inducing that chuckle-worthy.

A few thoughts that might help your therapist with diagnosis and treatment:

- Can you pray to something other than God? For example, have you tried praying to Brahma, Odin or Pele? Does that produce any difference? Have you tried praying to your potted plant or Bob the Friendly Pizza? Reducing the object of worship to absurdity might help break the cycle. It might also be useless, but that will at least tell you something.

- Make a video of yourself for the therapist to see you in you "natural" state. You're going to have some anxiety your first few visits until you establish some trust and that can hamper accurate diagnosis. Your average laptop with a webcam should be able to do this. To start pick a time when you can be alone for a bit and are in a good frame of mind. Find a safe place and start the video recording. Make sure to get reasonable lighting so facial expressions are easy to see. Neither too dark nor too bright.

--- To start you want to establish a baseline. Just say whatever happens to be passing through your head, including and especially the prayers. Don't even try to hold them in. It needn't make sense or be structured in any way. Just babble about your day or indulge in some verbal diarrhea.

--- Once you have a decent baseline established you'll want to provide a few examples of the anxiety symptoms. Keep talking but hold back on the prayers. Not so much that you hurt yourself but enough that the symptoms are obvious. Keep talking about the feelings that it produces as the anxiety builds. Once it becomes moderately uncomfortable let the prayer out. Keep talking about how it feels afterward. A couple of those could help diagnosis a lot. Take anxiety-free breaks between. It'll help keep you sane and prevent the tail of one episode from influencing the next. You shouldn't need many, just a couple of examples.

Then you can put the whole thing on a USB stick and take it to your first appointment.

I hope that some of this helps.

And welcome to the forum!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.