Just a random thought

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Just a random thought
I'm in the south and we are having all kinds of crazy storms and such. All of the news stations are posting about it all over facebook and almost every comment is "sending prayers," "God be with those affected," "Prayers for those who have been hurt."

I cannot roll my eyes far enough into the back of my head at those comments. Isn't it god who created the weather in the first place? Isn't he the one who created tornadoes? That's what they believe anyway, so why are they praying to god to help the victims when he's the one who caused the tornado in the first place? Facepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like seeker13's post
24-02-2016, 01:52 PM
RE: Just a random thought
Well, don't you know.... if you kiss god's ass good enough he won't send one of them tornadies your way. KeeeeeeP on praying(kissing). Kiss

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
24-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Preaching to the choir (lol).

Bad things happen.. god must've taken someone's life because "it was his time to go." But pray for everyone so god will "have mercy" and "save them."

I figure it's a pretty glaring example of Stockholm Syndrome and its tie to religious fervor.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post
24-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Thank you doctor for offering to treat my gunshot wound after you shot me.....
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
24-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Jeez, why not just accept the spirit, if not the words? They're basically just trying to send good thoughts your way.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
24-02-2016, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2016 04:13 PM by Tonechaser77.)
(24-02-2016 01:36 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I'm in the south and we are having all kinds of crazy storms and such. All of the news stations are posting about it all over facebook and almost every comment is "sending prayers," "God be with those affected," "Prayers for those who have been hurt."

I cannot roll my eyes far enough into the back of my head at those comments. Isn't it god who created the weather in the first place? Isn't he the one who created tornadoes? That's what they believe anyway, so why are they praying to god to help the victims when he's the one who caused the tornado in the first place? Facepalm

Embedded in comments like these is the implication of the "just world theory" which basically says that consequences are attributed to, or even expected, as the result of some sort of universal 'force' (god, if you will) that reinstates a type of moral balance in the earth. You'll often hear "they musta had it coming to them", "I'll pray for them" or some other ridiculous notion that serves in guilt reduction within their own minds.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
24-02-2016, 03:44 PM
(24-02-2016 01:36 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I'm in the south and we are having all kinds of crazy storms and such. All of the news stations are posting about it all over facebook and almost every comment is "sending prayers," "God be with those affected," "Prayers for those who have been hurt."

I don't know....

God gets all the credit and none of the blame.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post