Just a thought.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Just a thought.
So Jupiter eh? It makes up 70% of all planet material in our solar system but is 1/1000th the mass of the sun.
It's magnetic field is the largest thing in our solar system (if it was visible, it would be bigger then the sun (something like 5times bigger) and visible during the day).
And it's comprised of mostly hydrogen and helium (75% hydrogen, 25% helium) having the same ratios as the sun.

Basically, it APPEARS to have formed, perhaps, exactly in the same manner as the sun.
In fact, perhaps all stars start out as gas giant planets??
But, because it is comparison much much smaller (1/1000th the mass) it never achieved the same level of pressure and heat as the sun and so fission reactions were never able to take off and turn Jupiter into a star.

So my question. What if Jupiter did have enough pressure to cause fission reactions and turn the planet into a giant ball of fire?
Would we sorta have some nights that aren't very bright? Or longer days? Would we even really notice it. After all, it appears relatively small in our night sky compared to the size of the Sun. How would it effect the other planets?
It's best-chance-for-life-in-our-solar-system-moon Europa would have the thick layer of ice on it's surface melt and evaporate. Europa has no atmosphere so would our best chance for discovering life disappear with it's pretty white appearance?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 03:39 AM
RE: Just a thought.
(08-04-2013 12:43 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So Jupiter eh? It makes up 70% of all planet material in our solar system but is 1/1000th the mass of the sun.
It's magnetic field is the largest thing in our solar system (if it was visible, it would be bigger then the sun (something like 5times bigger) and visible during the day).
And it's comprised of mostly hydrogen and helium (75% hydrogen, 25% helium) having the same ratios as the sun.

Basically, it APPEARS to have formed, perhaps, exactly in the same manner as the sun.
In fact, perhaps all stars start out as gas giant planets??
But, because it is comparison much much smaller (1/1000th the mass) it never achieved the same level of pressure and heat as the sun and so fission reactions were never able to take off and turn Jupiter into a star.

So my question. What if Jupiter did have enough pressure to cause fission reactions and turn the planet into a giant ball of fire?
Would we sorta have some nights that aren't very bright? Or longer days? Would we even really notice it. After all, it appears relatively small in our night sky compared to the size of the Sun. How would it effect the other planets?
It's best-chance-for-life-in-our-solar-system-moon Europa would have the thick layer of ice on it's surface melt and evaporate. Europa has no atmosphere so would our best chance for discovering life disappear with it's pretty white appearance?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

In your what-if scenario is Jupiter the same size it is now or did it obtain the size needed to begin the fusion process? If it is the latter I think that takes earth out of the goldilocks range so no life would have been able to form here. If its the former I think it would vary by time of year and varience in orbits.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-04-2013, 06:01 AM
It's time for you to read 2010: Odyssey Two[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
08-04-2013, 06:34 AM
(08-04-2013 06:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's time for you to read 2010: Odyssey Two[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two

LOL! That's uncanny.
And yet more of my life story, as yet another idea of mine pirated and profited from by someone else.. Dodgy Though at least this guy did actually beat me to the punch.

09-04-2013, 02:16 AM
New question.
Atmospheres, as it turns out, are simply gases and shit held in place by an objects gravity.
As it also turns out Europa does have an atmosphere, though it is very thin (as opposed to Titans which is somewhat decent), and it is comprised of oxygen.
So now we have an object covered in ice, has a high potential for water under this ice and has a thin atmosphere of oxygen?
WHY THE FUCK ARE WE NOT THERE DISCOVERING LIFE RIGHT NOW!!

But I also got thinking. Global warming here on earth is helped caused by water vapor (as well as co2 and other shit).
Europa is full of water.
So, if enough was to melt and collect as water vapor in the atmosphere it may cause a greenhouse effect like here on Earth and heat up the moon enough so more water melts into oceans and shit. Much like what we have on earth.
So my second question is, WHY THE FUCK ARE WE NOT OUT THERE WITH A GIANT MAGNIFYING GLASS HEATING THAT SHIT UP JUST ENOUGH!!!

What the fuck does Nasa do all day!!??

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
09-04-2013, 02:25 AM
(09-04-2013 02:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What the fuck does Nasa do all day!!??
Shitload of math and physics is my guess. I mean, that's like what I'm paying them to do. Unlike you. ... Fuckin' free loader. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-04-2013, 03:31 AM
The sun is pretty dim at that distance. There is also allot of radiation around Jupiter.

It would have to be a huge ass magnifying glass... Only it wouldn't be a magnifying glass but a large reflector that is extremely lightweight and foldable like aluminium foil. You have no idea of the scale. It would actually be more useful to leave it solid. Gives us something to land on. Melting one small area won't do the job anyway.

Europa would be extremely interesting to investigate. It's subsurface is believed to be liquid due to tidal heating. Imagine what the tides would be like if the surface was liquid as well!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
(09-04-2013 02:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  New question.
Atmospheres, as it turns out, are simply gases and shit held in place by an objects gravity.
As it also turns out Europa does have an atmosphere, though it is very thin (as opposed to Titans which is somewhat decent), and it is comprised of oxygen.
So now we have an object covered in ice, has a high potential for water under this ice and has a thin atmosphere of oxygen?
WHY THE FUCK ARE WE NOT THERE DISCOVERING LIFE RIGHT NOW!!

But I also got thinking. Global warming here on earth is helped caused by water vapor (as well as co2 and other shit).
Europa is full of water.
So, if enough was to melt and collect as water vapor in the atmosphere it may cause a greenhouse effect like here on Earth and heat up the moon enough so more water melts into oceans and shit. Much like what we have on earth.
So my second question is, WHY THE FUCK ARE WE NOT OUT THERE WITH A GIANT MAGNIFYING GLASS HEATING THAT SHIT UP JUST ENOUGH!!!

What the fuck does Nasa do all day!!??

No, we can't melt it; that would violate The Prime Directive.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-04-2013, 06:36 AM
(09-04-2013 02:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 02:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What the fuck does Nasa do all day!!??
Shitload of math and physics is my guess. I mean, that's like what I'm paying them to do. Unlike you. ... Fuckin' free loader. Tongue

Best thing about the US, I get all my military and astrological needs for free. Big Grin

Quote:The sun is pretty dim at that distance. There is also allot of radiation around Jupiter.

It would have to be a huge ass magnifying glass... Only it wouldn't be a magnifying glass but a large reflector that is extremely lightweight and foldable like aluminium foil. You have no idea of the scale. It would actually be more useful to leave it solid. Gives us something to land on. Melting one small area won't do the job anyway.

Europa would be extremely interesting to investigate. It's subsurface is believed to be liquid due to tidal heating. Imagine what the tides would be like if the surface was liquid as well!

Just to clarify, I was just joking about the giant magnifying glass... Tongue

Would it be possible though, to heat up a planet? and how would you do it?
My guess would be to cause a greenhouse effect by filling its atmosphere with co2, but that would be one hell of a engineering feet. Perhaps extract gas from Jupiter to put in Europa's atmosphere??

As for landing, wouldn't landing on water be easier then landing on land?
NASA land things in the ocean all the time right? They only land the shuttle on a run way because they re-use it. And a submarine wouldn't be all that different from whatever thing you sent on land anyway.

As for its tides, I believe (because I know it's true for another of Jupiter's moons so I assume Europa as well) they are caused by Jupiter.
There's another moon, closer I believe, that scientist think has LAND tides. The land bulges depending on what side is facing Jupiter.

Quote:No, we can't melt it; that would violate The Prime Directive.

I'm sorry to pop your bubble Chas but... this isn't Star Trek.

14-04-2013, 12:46 AM
(09-04-2013 06:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's another moon, closer I believe, that scientist think has LAND tides. The land bulges depending on what side is facing Jupiter.

Io

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 1 user Likes My proboscis sucks's post