Just about ready ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Just about ready ...
... to cut the cable cord.

I found out today that Frontier, which took over for Verizon Fios, is going to hose me on my bill to the tune of $40 more per month.

So, I am thinking of eliminating cable and doing the Netflix thing, but I'm not sure if I'm ready.

Can anyone give me a primer on this? And by that I mean, is there anyway to still retain local networks and channels such as ESPN, etc.? Or am I just stuck with whatever Netflix has?

I really just want to be done with Fios after the illegal shit it pulled today.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: Just about ready ...
(20-06-2016 03:29 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  ... to cut the cable cord.

I found out today that Frontier, which took over for Verizon Fios, is going to hose me on my bill to the tune of $40 more per month.

So, I am thinking of eliminating cable and doing the Netflix thing, but I'm not sure if I'm ready.

Can anyone give me a primer on this? And by that I mean, is there anyway to still retain local networks and channels such as ESPN, etc.? Or am I just stuck with whatever Netflix has?

Or you could get an antenna and free TV. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-06-2016, 04:07 PM
(20-06-2016 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  

That's what we did. We stepped back into the 1950's and got a TV antenna. If we want to watch something on netflix we do. But I love old movies and stream them off the computer. I'm talkin oooold movies from like the 1930's and 40's and a lot of those are free. So we don't pay much for tv at all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2016, 04:11 PM
(20-06-2016 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  

ESPN? MSNBC? Sure, local networks may come in OK, but the others? Not so much. Wondering what kind of setups people use.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
20-06-2016, 04:14 PM
I dropped Netflix recently. We still, for now, get DVDs but cancelled the streaming service.

Not worth the headaches.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Frontier took over FIOS here but my bill didn't go up.

Verizon would never let me get rid of the landline so I was basically throwing away forty bucks a month. We don't even have a phone hooked up any more. Frontier let me get rid of it. I lose the bundle discount but still save thirty bucks.

Frontier is a pain in the ass to get in touch with, especially by phone. Online chat is better but only marginally so. When my router fried I got a new one in two days. When a remote died recently, I got a new one in two days.

So far, I am okay with Frontier. It took them a while to get all the features switched over but now it's okay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-06-2016, 04:35 PM
(20-06-2016 04:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Frontier took over FIOS here but my bill didn't go up.

Verizon would never let me get rid of the landline so I was basically throwing away forty bucks a month. We don't even have a phone hooked up any more. Frontier let me get rid of it. I lose the bundle discount but still save thirty bucks.

Frontier is a pain in the ass to get in touch with, especially by phone. Online chat is better but only marginally so. When my router fried I got a new one in two days. When a remote died recently, I got a new one in two days.

So far, I am okay with Frontier. It took them a while to get all the features switched over but now it's okay.

Verizon always charged me $45 for the phone, but if I wanted to get rid of it (and they would let me because I almost did it last year), they said it would only save me $10. It's their "bundle" price, but when you make it al a carte, they change it.

Anyway, one of my Verizon promotions expired this week unbeknownst to me and it was $25, so my bill went up almost $27. I called to ask about it and found out that if I wanted to try to get a regular Frontier package, I would pay $40 more than what I paid with Verizon. They charged me $15 more for my services and equipment to sneakily offset the discount I am getting from my original Verizon plan. So when I asked what those services cost under Frontier, they said it was $15 less that what they had on my current bill. So I caught them in a deliberate price gouge. He had no answer for me. So if I took their plan, I would lose all of my discounts and pay $40 more. If I do nothing, I pay $27 more. Either way I get screwed, but by doing nothing I only get it up the ass and not jammed down my throat, too.

Fucking idiots.

----
20-06-2016, 05:20 PM
(20-06-2016 04:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or you could get an antenna and free TV. Drinking Beverage

ESPN? MSNBC? Sure, local networks may come in OK, but the others? Not so much. Wondering what kind of setups people use.

PBS fills that gap.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-06-2016, 05:44 PM
(20-06-2016 05:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 04:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  ESPN? MSNBC? Sure, local networks may come in OK, but the others? Not so much. Wondering what kind of setups people use.

PBS fills that gap.

LOL, yeah, like god fills the gaps in evolution.

----