Just another bit of proof....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2012 07:27 PM by Stark Raving.)
Just another bit of proof....
...that the world is full of good people.

So I get a knock at my door. Doesn't happen often where I am. I don't really live in a "pop-in-for-a-visit" location. Turns out it's a kid (16 years old I think) that lives a mile or so away, that had asked me if he could hunt on my land with his brother. The season has been over for a while now, so I had assumed they never got any deer. Turns out they didn't, but here he was.

My only rules for hunting here are simple. Use everything you harvest. Kill the animal as humanely as possible (ie, ONLY take a perfect shot. Otherwise, you just have to wait for another chance). And lastly, gimmie some deer meat! (Preferably sausage. Man I live deer sausage!)

After talking to the kid for a while, I was satisfied that he was a responsible hunter, with a strong awareness of the fact that he was taking a life that was to be respected.

The short of it is, he brought me two huge garic rings, a bursting bag of hot rods, and the nicest salami I've ever had. None of it came from here. It was just to thank me for the chance to use my land. But here's what really got me. This young guy tells me that because of our talk last fall, he felt that his harvest should be shared as much as possible. He liked my idea that feeding each other isn't just a nice thing to do, it's a responsibility we all share. Because of that, he shared HALF of everything he got from his deer with people who were "strangers". That is, people he knew would appreciate the meat, but that he didn't know very well at all (lucky me, I was one of them).

Fuckin blew me away man. Who says our life experience is lost on our youth?

I'll be soaring for days! (With a full belly!)
Oh, just to clarify, the deer he did get came from another farm an hour north of here.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-01-2012, 12:57 AM
RE: Just another bit of proof....
The kid is onto something. I think you should share half of your harvest with us!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-01-2012, 01:27 AM
That's pretty awesome.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
29-01-2012, 01:28 AM
That's a great story. Nice to hear a positive story like that.
29-01-2012, 03:57 AM
(28-01-2012 07:26 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  he brought me two huge garic rings,
Do you mean "garlic rings" or does your region has a deli I never heard from before. (In which case I need to close that hole in my foody culture)

I'm convinced more and more (young) people are voluntarily moving away from the "dog-eat-dog" and "everything-needs-to-be-new-and-shiny" world we grew up in.

Spreading such stories is a good idea stark. It might start the most awesome group-dynamics in history.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
30-01-2012, 12:14 AM
That has made my day!

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
30-01-2012, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 04:28 PM by Hamata k.)
Deer sausage is a thing?......................................................You learn something new everyday.

It's good to see that there is some hope for the youth of today. I say you should return the favor and offer something in return.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!