Just another newbie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 06:45 AM
RE: Just another newbie
Hi Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Welcome!
04-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(04-04-2017 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile Which brand of theism do you subscribe to, out of interest?

Which brand? What!!! You mean there's more than one???? God forbid!

Ok folks, my best attempt at a little humor, as the Good Book says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine". A little sarcasm now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing either, sometimes it's the best way to make a point. Reminds me of Elijah mocking the priests of Baal in 1 Kings 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

I hold to the brand of theism as defined by Merriam-Webster
Theism: belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world

Simply put-born again Christian would define my worldview. Glad to make your acquaintance morondog
[+] 2 users Like Yogi_Bear's post
04-04-2017, 09:42 AM
(04-04-2017 09:30 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 12:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile Which brand of theism do you subscribe to, out of interest?

Ok folks, my best attempt at a little humor, as the Good Book says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine". A little sarcasm now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing either, sometimes it's the best way to make a point. Reminds me of Elijah mocking the priests of Baal in 1 Kings 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

Theism: belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world

Simply put-born again Christian would define my worldview. Glad to make your acquaintance morondog

Er...welcome to our community.

We do welcome all types here but people who proselytize under the guise of debate are met with a certain amount of venom. I would suggest that you post in lighter areas of the forum while we get to know you better. We have several theist types here who are valued voices in our community, we also have others who aren't.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-04-2017, 09:43 AM
(04-04-2017 09:30 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  

Welcome. There are a handful of us theists here. Have you hung around atheists much before joining TTA?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
(04-04-2017 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 09:30 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Which brand? What!!! You mean there's more than one???? God forbid!

Er...welcome to our community.

We do welcome all types here but people who proselytize under the guise of debate are met with a certain amount of venom. I would suggest that you post in lighter areas of the forum while we get to know you better. We have several theist types here who are valued voices in our community, we also have others who aren't.

Hello mom good to meet you. Venom? I prefer to view it as passion for ones beliefs. I come here not to proselytize nor stir up trouble or venomous arguments and have no preconceived ideas that any thing I might say or argument/position I might present hasn't been hashed out here over and over. Simply interested in exploring and understanding other people's worldview and their basis for holding those beliefs.

I acknowledge the met with venom comment and have observed, as a lurker the past several weeks, examples of such but I can assure you I have tough skin and acknowledge such as a passion for their position. I will have no problem responding to such examples of passion with complete respect and civility. Perhaps as time passes I too may be viewed as a theist with a valued voice here.
04-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Hello Aliza, good to meet you. My associations with atheists, I would think, is limited more than some simply due to having lived in the Tennessee Bible Belt and growing up in a Christian home. How ever I have many secular friends, including gay and straight, with whom I respect and am very close to. (Oops, bad grammar?) Though we don't agree on some things this hasn't prevented close friendships from developing.
[+] 1 user Likes Yogi_Bear's post
04-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Hi, and welcome! You seem nice. I hope it stays that way lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
04-04-2017, 02:13 PM
(04-04-2017 09:30 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Reminds me of Elijah mocking the priests of Baal in 1 Kings 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
Let's not forget the revenge God took on those Baal-priests for daring to have picked the wrong God. Positively medieval... Plus Wink Nowadays one might ask you where your God is now...

Quote:I hold to the brand of theism as defined by Merriam-Webster
I'm actually surprised - I looked it up and it's exactly as stated. That be the Merriam-Webster definition. I always just thought of theism as being just any-old woo belief, but apparently it's specifically one involving deity singular. Huh. Learn something new every day.

Quote:Simply put-born again Christian would define my worldview. Glad to make your acquaintance morondog
Good to meet you too amigo Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Hello Emma, thank you for the welcome and the compliment, I shall strive to remain so. Though I disagree with much of Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy I do find this quote attributed to him to be good advice when debating with those with whom one disagrees: He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.