Just another newbie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: Just another newbie
(04-04-2017 12:26 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello Aliza, good to meet you. My associations with atheists, I would think, is limited more than some simply due to having lived in the Tennessee Bible Belt and growing up in a Christian home. How ever I have many secular friends, including gay and straight, with whom I respect and am very close to. (Oops, bad grammar?) Though we don't agree on some things this hasn't prevented close friendships from developing.

So if you’re not too well practiced in conversing with atheists, my best advice is to develop a thick skin because there might be some learning curves to overcome. Tongue Please don't get discouraged if the forum attacks. Just take a step back and try rewording what you say. We just had a young lady leave after just a few days because she invited a forum full of atheists (many of who had bad experiences in Christianity) to ask her anything they wanted about her faith.

Unfortunately, “Born Again Christian” doesn’t have a very good connotation around here, but I liked your comment about hoping to gain a voice on the forum. No one appreciates proselytizer and thanks to the many Christians who have come before you, it will take some time for people to trust that you’re not from among their ilk. You also seem to appreciate that we’ve already heard the Christian side of the story ad nauseam and don’t really need to hear it yet again from yet another Christian who secretly believes that they alone hold the key to our salvation in the form of a divine message that only they can deliver. Said message will be perfectly tailored to reach the atheists (and one Jew) and bring them all to Jesus (blah, blah, blah).

That isn’t going to happen, and I think you are genuinely not holding that expectation. You’re already starting out on the right foot. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Welcome fellow theist! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2017, 09:37 PM
(04-04-2017 07:37 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 12:26 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello Aliza, good to meet you. My associations with atheists, I would think, is limited more than some simply due to having lived in the Tennessee Bible Belt and growing up in a Christian home. How ever I have many secular friends, including gay and straight, with whom I respect and am very close to. (Oops, bad grammar?) Though we don't agree on some things this hasn't prevented close friendships from developing.

So if you’re not too well practiced in conversing with atheists, my best advice is to develop a thick skin because there might be some learning curves to overcome. Tongue Please don't get discouraged if the forum attacks. Just take a step back and try rewording what you say. We just had a young lady leave after just a few days because she invited a forum full of atheists (many of who had bad experiences in Christianity) to ask her anything they wanted about her faith.

Unfortunately, “Born Again Christian” doesn’t have a very good connotation around here, but I liked your comment about hoping to gain a voice on the forum. No one appreciates proselytizer and thanks to the many Christians who have come before you, it will take some time for people to trust that you’re not from among their ilk. You also seem to appreciate that we’ve already heard the Christian side of the story ad nauseam and don’t really need to hear it yet again from yet another Christian who secretly believes that they alone hold the key to our salvation in the form of a divine message that only they can deliver. Said message will be perfectly tailored to reach the atheists (and one Jew) and bring them all to Jesus (blah, blah, blah).

That isn’t going to happen, and I think you are genuinely not holding that expectation. You’re already starting out on the right foot. Smile

Thank you for the heads up but though my discussions with atheists may be lacking in quantity compared to some the quality and depth of those discussions easily make up for it. Most of these discussions were on a totally unrelated forum yet some really got hostile, hence elephant hide. I acknowledge there are many different beliefs and the basis for a person's belief position vary greatly from an abundance of evidence to a tiny sliver of evidence of what one wishes to be true.

I'm a firm believer in the freedom of speech we enjoy in our country, but freedom of speech, by its very definition, acknowledges that that speech may at times be offensive. Such is a necessity if a true exchange is to take place with opposing worldviews. That said there are ways to minimize or maximize the level of offensiveness in exchanging one ideas. Isn't variety a wonderful thing.

I do thank you for the encouragement of getting of on the right foot. Now perhaps you could help me with my golf swing lol. BTW it's Masters week Banana_zorro
[+] 2 users Like Yogi_Bear's post
04-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Welcome.
04-04-2017, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 11:30 PM by whateverist.)
(04-04-2017 09:43 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 09:30 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Which brand? What!!! You mean there's more than one???? God forbid!

Ok folks, my best attempt at a little humor, as the Good Book says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine". A little sarcasm now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing either, sometimes it's the best way to make a point. Reminds me of Elijah mocking the priests of Baal in 1 Kings 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

I hold to the brand of theism as defined by Merriam-Webster
Theism: belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world

Simply put-born again Christian would define my worldview. Glad to make your acquaintance morondog

Welcome. There are a handful of us theists here. Have you hung around atheists much before joining TTA?

Oh, geez .. not the odor thing again?

But seriously, welcome new guy/gal.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
05-04-2017, 12:23 AM
Welcome from Planet Earth.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Someone tell me this ain't triple t so I can stop thinking I woke up in an alternate universe... like the one where nobody has brought this up. Huh

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2017, 01:34 AM
I haven't even seen any direct evidence that I was born once.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
05-04-2017, 02:01 AM
(05-04-2017 01:34 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I haven't even seen any direct evidence that I was born once.

I had a theory all Brits were robots. This may be what I need to test it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
07-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Hi ATT - good to have you here. We're a global community and I think you'll enjoy the variety of perspective you'll find in our discussions.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein