Just because you think it, doesn't make it true. /rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Just because you think it, doesn't make it true. /rant
One theme I often find in religious folk, and also in people who believe in ghosts and other "supernatural" hoodoo - is the underlying assumption that:

because I thought it, that must make it true.

It frustrates me to no end to hear someone "prove" that so and so is haunted, or that God is real - because they think they experienced something magical/supernatural.

If I think I witnessed a miracle, for instance - I see an image of God or Jesus floats down in front of me with a box of donuts and a bottle of vodka, I wouldn't be going around town shouting that I had witnessed a miracle - nor would it confirm an assumption that anything magical even occurred.

To put simply, I wouldn't know what to think about what I thought happened.

My first post-miracle analysis would be, what were the environmental variables? What was my sleep like last night? What had I eaten earlier that day? Did anyone else see it? How could I prove it?

I think it also ties into the question of what would it take for me to believe in a god. Nothing I ever see or hear or witness or experience could ever prove to me that a god was real. It could prove to me that I'm going crazy or that old age is catching up to me, or that I had a bit too much to drink or I was high, but God? Why should I assume that's what is happening because I think it happened? Is it humility the religious lack? How selfish to think that your perception of reality is the same of everyone else - furthermore to then enforce that perception on other people.

In my opinion, everyone's perception of reality is subjective to some degree -- science does the part of explaining which perception of reality is most common for everyone else.

Anyway, the last point of the rant is its application in near-death experiences. I have died numerous times due to a heart condition (it has a tendency to stop beating), and no matter what I saw, or what I think I saw, never would I assume that that is reality. Why do so many other people think that while their body is going through a traumatic experience, your brain is freaking out, you're on god knows what medications -- that the little dream you had is a reality of heaven/afterlife. Fuck you. What arrogance.

One of my more recent "deaths" I dreamt I was in New York. It was like something out of a 90s sitcom, it was a segway of car noises, traffic, the overground train noise and then rushing back to consciousness. Does that mean heaven (or hell) is somewhere in New York City? Can I go and write a book about it now?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Just because you think it, doesn't make it true. /rant
(01-01-2015 01:46 PM)GenericBox Wrote:  ... Does that mean heaven (or hell) is somewhere in New York City?

Chicago.

Ambrose Bierce once cited a case where a woman was convicted of murdering her husband. The judge asked her why she'd done it. To stop him from going to Chicago, she said. He was a wicked man. "Killing a wicked man," the judge said, "will not stop him from going to Chicago".
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
01-01-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: Just because you think it, doesn't make it true. /rant
(01-01-2015 02:42 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:46 PM)GenericBox Wrote:  ... Does that mean heaven (or hell) is somewhere in New York City?

Chicago.

Ambrose Bierce once cited a case where a woman was convicted of murdering her husband. The judge asked her why she'd done it. To stop him from going to Chicago, she said. He was a wicked man. "Killing a wicked man," the judge said, "will not stop him from going to Chicago".

lol I like it. Hey, it could have been Chicago -- I don't know my US cities that well and all I saw was an overground train line, city grid-lock traffic and yellow taxis.