Just for Fun - Paraprosdokians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2013, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 12:26 PM by Full Circle.)
Just for Fun - Paraprosdokians
This came from friend and thought it could be fun to let you guys have at it.

Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently humorous.

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it..

2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, Notify:' I put 'DOCTOR'.

11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

13. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..

14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
29-05-2013, 12:21 PM
RE: Just for Fun - Paraprosdakians
Like the name of any good rhetorical device, this one comes from old Greek, and means against (para) expectation (prosdokia).

I say this as a roundabout way of pointing out the spelling error...
29-05-2013, 12:28 PM
(29-05-2013 12:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Like the name of any good rhetorical device, this one comes from old Greek, and means against (para) expectation (prosdokia).

Thanks, I copied and pasted without looking up the word Undecided

You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed, maybe you should try a different line of work. Big Grin

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-05-2013, 02:59 PM
(29-05-2013 12:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 12:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Like the name of any good rhetorical device, this one comes from old Greek, and means against (para) expectation (prosdokia).

Thanks, I copied and pasted without looking up the word Undecided

You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed, maybe you should try a different line of work. Big Grin

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
29-05-2013, 03:58 PM
RE: Just for Fun - Paraprosdokians
It takes a big man to cry. But it takes a even bigger man to laugh at that man.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
29-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks for explaining before I googled it. I'm not much better with big words than I am with math. Big Grin

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
29-05-2013, 05:38 PM
(29-05-2013 04:52 PM)smidgen Wrote:  Thanks for explaining before I googled it. I'm not much better with big words than I am with math. Big Grin

So if I were to describe the above as a paraprosdokian I could say

"What she lacks in vocabulary skills she makes up with poor math comprehension" Wink

29-05-2013, 05:41 PM
(29-05-2013 05:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 04:52 PM)smidgen Wrote:  Thanks for explaining before I googled it. I'm not much better with big words than I am with math. Big Grin

So if I were to describe the above as a paraprosdokian I could say

"What she lacks in vocabulary skills she makes up with poor math comprehension" Wink

lol

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
29-05-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
29-05-2013, 05:47 PM
No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded. - Yogi Berra