31-08-2013, 12:10 PM
RE: Just got a BoM
What, no JWs?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 12:15 PM
(31-08-2013 12:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What, no JWs?

I have no need for a New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
31-08-2013, 12:20 PM
My bad, thought you were setting out to study them all.

I am afraid to request a BoM...they built a new church or temple or whatever about a half mile from my house...I am afraid they would caravan down here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
31-08-2013, 12:25 PM
(31-08-2013 12:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My bad, thought you were setting out to study them all.

I am afraid to request a BoM...they built a new church or temple or whatever about a half mile from my house...I am afraid they would caravan down here.

I want to study most religions, but I don't need two translations of the same holy book. You can download an MP3 or PDF file of the Book of Mormon at the same link I gave to Earmuffs, but I always prefer to have a physical book, which is why I asked my mom for the SAB and BoM.

31-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Quick, throw it in the trough!

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
31-08-2013, 12:57 PM
(31-08-2013 12:50 PM)I Am Wrote:  Quick, throw it in the trough!

How immensely clever. Truly you are the greatest comedian in history.

31-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Update: I'm at about chapter 12 now. I find it better than the Bible, as in the Bible, God didn't go 8 chapters without cursing all of mankind and committing worldwide genocide. Nevertheless, I am willing to say that the Book of Mormon isn't that reliable a source of information, as every other verse starts with "And it came to pass," and sometimes it's in the middle of a verse. It's likely that Joseph Smith opened the King James Bible, saw "It came to pass" and decided that to make the BoM seem authentic, he had to mimic biblical sounding sentence structure. I also notice that Smith enjoys the word "exceedingly," and being "white" is apparently the best thing you can possibly be, as he describes Mary and The Tree of Life as being "Exceedingly white." I am also unfamiliar with the river Laman.

03-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Apparently the BoM uses the phrase 'and it came to pass' very excessively. The Bible has the phrase some 452 times across 31,102 verses. The BoM has 1424 uses across just 6553 verses. It is, to quote Hitchens 'quite soporific'.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/...-pass.html

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
03-09-2013, 06:28 AM
(03-09-2013 01:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Apparently the BoM uses the phrase 'and it came to pass' very excessively. The Bible has the phrase some 452 times across 31,102 verses. The BoM has 1424 uses across just 6553 verses. It is, to quote Hitchens 'quite soporific'.

Actually, it's English translations that have that phrase around 400-500 times, and they intentionally limit the number of times they render it that way. In the Hebrew, the phrase ויהי occurs almost 1800 times. Now, the Hebrew Bible is a lot larger than the Book of Mormon, but this phrase occurs in narrative and not in poetry, and the Book of Mormon has virtually no poetry at all in it. Correcting for genre, the Hebrew Bible and the Book of Mormon use the phrase with about the same frequency. There are plenty of things to criticize about Latter-day Saint belief, but this one just betrays the naivety and lack of critical thinking that attends much atheist litany.

My Blog
03-09-2013, 06:32 AM
(31-08-2013 10:59 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Because of your screen name (Teen-skeptic-go), I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably a teenager.
Do you have any idea what you've just done ?
No, probably not Sad

This religion (more than the others) is called a cult for so many reasons.
They will be back, day after day to discuss certain parts of the mormon religion with you.
They will give you reading assignments so that when they come back the next day, you all can discuss it.
They will invite you to charity social events which do good work.
You will meet lots of friendly people who will show you attention and lots of affection.
They will give you lots of positive feed back on the work you are doing and they really hope you can make the next charity event.
At the next event, because you did such a super job at the last event, they will put you in charge of a group task.
"You have leadership potential"

Don't let them get their hooks into you.
If any of this begins to happen, just shut it down. Shut them out completely before it's too late.
You may think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious.

I've been in leadership positions in the LDS Church on three different continents, and I currently work for the Church. Nowhere have I ever seen or heard of a programmatic approach quite like this. Is this characterization based on your own limited experiences, or are you synthesizing it from a collection of ex-Mormon or anti-Mormon accounts you found online?

My Blog