Just got wisdom teeth taken out.. Blah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Just got wisdom teeth taken out.. Blah
This is rather painful :|
I was going to go without the pain pills (because I don't like them) But I don't think that's going to happen lol

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: Just got wisdom teeth taken out.. Blah
(24-01-2013 04:59 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  This is rather painful :|
I was going to go without the pain pills (because I don't like them) But I don't think that's going to happen lol
Have Heart! You will live, and this soon will be forgotten.

Been there. Done that.
24-01-2013, 05:07 PM
(24-01-2013 04:59 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  This is rather painful :|

Just be lucky that a civilian doctor did it. I had mine out in the military. Most people consider army dentists to be one small step up from some quack that performs back alley surgeries. I got "dry socket" in every single extracted tooth. It was hell.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
24-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Here's a little wisdom (I'll share some of mine since you just lost some of yours).

Just for Aspchizo, or anyone else who doesn't have a weak stomach:

I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically extracted. The surgeon gave me 10 days of antibiotics. I was pretty good with those, took them as directec, but I got lazy toward the end, maybe didn't take the last couple days. Just the last couple days.

One socket got infected. It filled with pus. Pus leaked into my mouth 24/7. Have you ever tasted pus? Awful. Worse than awful. Quite literally the worst thing I've ever had in my mouth - no joke. This was almost 30 years ago and I remember how it tasted like it was yesterday. It would ooze onto my tongue and drain down my throat and fumes from the pus would float up into my sinus. I had to taste it and smell it every second I was awake. Even just breathing forced air over those taste buds and made it taste worse.

But that wasn't the really bad part.

In order to clear out the infection, the dentist gave me 10 more days of antibiotics and a syringe. Not a normal syringe, this one had a curved plastic tip that was nearly 1/4 inch in outer diameter. I had to stick this into the infected socket every hour or two that I was awake and squirt warm water into the socket to flush out the pus. Big mouthfuls of chunky pus and blood clots.

But the pain was the worst part. That socket HURT. It had just undergone surgery and the wound wasn't closed but was infected instead, sore, swollen, exposed nerves. Sticking that syringe into that infected socket was excruciating.

Took 6 days before I cleared out that infection. Quite possibly the worst 6 days of my life. I've had Encephalitis, a gall bladder that tried to explode (they got it just in time), a few broken bones, and a few broken hearts. I'd do all of that again to avoid having to do that infected tooth socket again.

Moral of the story: Take every freaking antibiotic pill the doctor gave you. Don't even miss one. Those pills will save your sanity.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
24-01-2013, 05:45 PM
(24-01-2013 05:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically extracted.

Me too. 18 yo and didn't even have any wisdom teeth. Navy dug 'em out anyway 'cause "Ain't no dentists on submarines, son." Didn't give me any antibiotics. Just 4 tylenol 3's and a slip to get out of fire watch that night. Guess I got lucky.

(24-01-2013 05:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Took 6 days before I cleared out that infection. Quite possibly the worst 6 days of my life. I've had Encephalitis, a gall bladder that tried to explode (they got it just in time), a few broken bones, and a few broken hearts. I'd do all of that again to avoid having to do that infected tooth socket again.

And you got lucky there. Spent 16 hours lying in a hospital bed with a burst appendix. There is pain (the shingles in my eye was the worst pain I've experienced), and then there's dying. No opiate on earth could touch that burst appendix.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
24-01-2013, 06:01 PM
If they were hurting you before you will be so happy they are gone in just a couple days!

I had all four out when I was 22...two or three days of complete suckiness, then relief.

Take your meds, relax, get some sleep...it'll be better real soon.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-01-2013, 06:30 PM
(24-01-2013 05:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Here's a little wisdom (I'll share some of mine since you just lost some of yours).

I had all 4 wisdom teeth surgically extracted. The surgeon gave me 10 days of antibiotics. I was pretty good with those, took them as directec, but I got lazy toward the end, maybe didn't take the last couple days. Just the last couple days.

One socket got infected. It filled with pus. Pus leaked into my mouth 24/7. Have you ever tasted pus? Awful. Worse than awful. Quite literally the worst thing I've ever had in my mouth - no joke. This was almost 30 years ago and I remember how it tasted like it was yesterday. It would ooze onto my tongue and drain down my throat and fumes from the pus would float up into my sinus. I had to taste it and smell it every second I was awake. Even just breathing forced air over those taste buds and made it taste worse.

In order to clear out the infection, the dentist gave me 10 more days of antibiotics and a syringe. Not a normal syringe, this one had a curved plastic tip that was nearly 1/4 inch in outer diameter. I had to stick this into the infected socket every hour or two that I was awake and squirt warm water into the socket to flush out the pus. Big mouthfuls of chunky pus and blood clots.

But the pain was the worst part. That socket HURT. It had just undergone surgery and the wound wasn't closed but was infected instead, sore, swollen, exposed nerves. Sticking that syringe into that infected socket was excruciating.

Took 6 days before I cleared out that infection. Quite possibly the worst 6 days of my life. I've had Encephalitis, a gall bladder that tried to explode (they got it just in time), a few broken bones, and a few broken hearts. I'd do all of that again to avoid having to do that infected tooth socket again.

Moral of the story: Take every freaking antibiotic pill the doctor gave you. Don't even miss one. Those pills will save your sanity.
Thanks for the support everyone Tongue

I never actually got anti-biotics. I got Tylenol 3 and Ibuprofen 600.

I took one t3 about two hours ago, suppose alternate between the two every two hours but I feel fine-ish. I just really don't like taking pain-killers.

24-01-2013, 06:37 PM
(24-01-2013 06:30 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 05:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Here's a little wisdom (I'll share some of mine since you just lost some of yours).

Thanks for the support everyone Tongue

I never actually got anti-biotics. I got Tylenol 3 and Ibuprofen 600.

I took one t3 about two hours ago, suppose alternate between the two every two hours but I feel fine-ish. I just really don't like taking pain-killers.
No antibiotics? WTAF?

And what is it you don't like about painkillers? What they gave you is pretty mild stuff.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I've not ever had to have a wisdom tooth removed before, but based on what I've heard I'd let them inject morphine into my brain stem. Nothing wrong with dulling the pain until you no longer need it.

24-01-2013, 06:44 PM
(24-01-2013 06:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  No antibiotics? WTAF?

And what is it you don't like about painkillers? What they gave you is pretty mild stuff.
Nope, no anti-biotics. I am aware that it is mild compared to morphine, vicodin, ect, I'm just not fond of taking prescription pills when I don't have to, especially pain-killers. My mother also happens to be a pain-killer addict, so that might have something to do with it.