Just had my cherry popped.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Just had my cherry popped.
I see them every day, riding their bikes or walking the neighborhood. Until just now, they've never knocked on my door.

Well I'm a couple drinks into the night, so I grab my coat and a cigarette and join them on the porch. Spent about ten or fifteen minutes out there with them, sharing my deconversion with them and telling them why anything they have to say I've already thought of and rejected and why I'm good with my atheism vs religion.

It was actually a nice conversation, I'm sure they were just happy that I didn't tell them to get lost. They were pretty pleasant kids, both about 16 if I had to guess. They asked if they could come back tomorrow and chat, I told them sure. As long as it's a good time for me I'd be happy to sit down with them. But I did warn them that it would most likely be more of a challenge for them than for me. They both just chuckled nervously and left me with a copy of the book of Mormon with a short chapter to read.

We'll see if they decide to come back... Evil_monster

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 06:04 PM
RE: Just had my cherry popped.
You're so lucky!!!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Handled very diplomatically. I like it. Who knows, they are young enough maybe you will make them think. Smile
27-12-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 07:02 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
I'll be honest: I thought the thread was about something else before opening it LOL

I suppose it's ok to have a talk, as long as they don't mistake your open-mindedness and kindness and interest in having a discussion on it for indecision about your own beliefs.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
27-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Xtianity is bad enough. You have to be a real dumb shit to be a mormon.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
27-12-2014, 06:15 PM
(27-12-2014 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see them every day, riding their bikes or walking the neighborhood. Until just now, they've never knocked on my door.

Well I'm a couple drinks into the night, so I grab my coat and a cigarette and join them on the porch. Spent about ten or fifteen minutes out there with them, sharing my deconversion with them and telling them why anything they have to say I've already thought of and rejected and why I'm good with my atheism vs religion.

It was actually a nice conversation, I'm sure they were just happy that I didn't tell them to get lost. They were pretty pleasant kids, both about 16 if I had to guess. They asked if they could come back tomorrow and chat, I told them sure. As long as it's a good time for me I'd be happy to sit down with them. But I did warn them that it would most likely be more of a challenge for them than for me. They both just chuckled nervously and left me with a copy of the book of Mormon with a short chapter to read.

We'll see if they decide to come back... Evil_monster

Ahhh the good old days. I did the same and I actually read their scripture some 35 years ago. When they came back the next week I asked, "Okay, so let me get this straight, I can't have caffeine or tobacco or alcohol or any other sort of inebriant and in exchange I get multiple wives." "We don't do the multiple wives thing anymore." ... Blink ... Blink ... "Get the fuck out. I mean get the fuck out now."

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I forget who first posted it but this should make for some lively conversation: Letter to a CES Director

Pages 9 through 12 are frigging hilarious. The whole "Golden Tablets of the Book of Mormon" story comes straight out of a Captain Kidd pirate book.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
27-12-2014, 06:27 PM
The Mormons and JWs stopped coming around after the first couple of visits.

I can't imagine why. Angel
27-12-2014, 06:37 PM
(27-12-2014 06:27 PM)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:  The Mormons and JWs stopped coming around after the first couple of visits.

I can't imagine why. Angel

I've seen you beforeConsider

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-12-2014, 06:39 PM
(27-12-2014 06:12 PM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  Handled very diplomatically. I like it. Who knows, they are young enough maybe you will make them think. Smile
That's my goal. We'll see how it goes.

(27-12-2014 06:12 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I'll be honest: I thought the thread was about something else before opening it LOL

I suppose it's ok to have a talk, as long as they don't mistake your open-mindedness and kindness and interest in having a discussion onit for indecision about your own beliefs.

I pretty clear about what I thought, and will continue to be. I don't expect them to visit more than once unless it's because of their own indecision.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post