Just had my cherry popped.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Just had my cherry popped.
(28-12-2014 09:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 07:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh thank god, I was worried I was the only one...

Oh come on guys, I did put this in the atheism vs theism section. Though come to think of it, the first time I did get my cherry popped I'm pretty sure I saw god. Yes

And god saw you. Ick.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 01:06 PM
(27-12-2014 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see them every day, riding their bikes or walking the neighborhood. Until just now, they've never knocked on my door.

Well I'm a couple drinks into the night, so I grab my coat and a cigarette and join them on the porch. Spent about ten or fifteen minutes out there with them, sharing my deconversion with them and telling them why anything they have to say I've already thought of and rejected and why I'm good with my atheism vs religion.

It was actually a nice conversation, I'm sure they were just happy that I didn't tell them to get lost. They were pretty pleasant kids, both about 16 if I had to guess. They asked if they could come back tomorrow and chat, I told them sure. As long as it's a good time for me I'd be happy to sit down with them. But I did warn them that it would most likely be more of a challenge for them than for me. They both just chuckled nervously and left me with a copy of the book of Mormon with a short chapter to read.

We'll see if they decide to come back... Evil_monster

You fed them?! They'll never leave now.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 01:27 PM
(28-12-2014 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see them every day, riding their bikes or walking the neighborhood. Until just now, they've never knocked on my door.

Well I'm a couple drinks into the night, so I grab my coat and a cigarette and join them on the porch. Spent about ten or fifteen minutes out there with them, sharing my deconversion with them and telling them why anything they have to say I've already thought of and rejected and why I'm good with my atheism vs religion.

It was actually a nice conversation, I'm sure they were just happy that I didn't tell them to get lost. They were pretty pleasant kids, both about 16 if I had to guess. They asked if they could come back tomorrow and chat, I told them sure. As long as it's a good time for me I'd be happy to sit down with them. But I did warn them that it would most likely be more of a challenge for them than for me. They both just chuckled nervously and left me with a copy of the book of Mormon with a short chapter to read.

We'll see if they decide to come back... Evil_monster

You fed them?! They'll never leave now.

LOL. Yeah, like a couple of stray dogs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-12-2014, 02:17 PM
(28-12-2014 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You fed them?! They'll never leave now.

Hey, I'm taking one for the rest of the neighborhood. Plus it might be fun, I don't get to talk religion in real life. With these two guys I have a completely blank slate to have the conversation on my terms and I can be as brutally honest asI want to be. They're not my family, colleagues or friends. I'm going to be polite and welcoming, and I will rip their worldview to pieces.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Well they sure as shit showed up again. The house was a mess so I didn't invite them in, but I brought a couple of lawn chairs out and we sat in the backyard and chatted for almost two hours.

It was really interesting. Well....nothing that they said was interesting, but being able to sit there and challenge three young men's worldviews (yeah, they brought along a third this time, but he was even younger) was pretty cool. The oldest one is actually 20, he did most of the talking even though I get the feeling that the 18 yr old would be able to offer a more interesting conversation. The youngest, who was 16, pretty much sat there until prompted to give his scripted answer to an easy question.

All in all I had a good time. I got to sit there and drink and smoke and openly tell these poor indoctrinated kids that their religion doesn't make any sense and challenge them to come at me with anything they have that would make any sense. They had nothing, and I hope they realized it. I gave them a challenge as they left....pretty much the "outsider's test of faith" as it were.

I know that they are trained to disregard any dissenting viewpoint and reassure themselves with their prescribed platitudes, but I also know that they don't get many chances to hear a message like mine. I may have done their poor minds some good, maybe planted a seed that it's a good thing to think and to investigate claims. I hope I did. Either way, I'm still not a mormon. Big Grin

Hey, they knocked on my door.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
29-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Let's hope they weren't wearing their magic underwear.
[+] 2 users Like Jack_Ripper's post
29-12-2014, 01:48 AM
(28-12-2014 06:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  All in all I had a good time. I got to sit there and drink and smoke and openly tell these poor indoctrinated kids that their religion doesn't make any sense and challenge them to come at me with anything they have that would make any sense. They had nothing, and I hope they realized it. I gave them a challenge as they left....pretty much the "outsider's test of faith" as it were.

So let me propose something I call The Outsider Test: If you were born in Saudi Arabia, you would be a Muslim right now, say it isn't so? That is a cold hard fact. Dare you deny it? Since this is so, or at least 99% so, then the proper method to evaluate your religious beliefs is with a healthy measure of skepticism. Test your beliefs as if you were an outsider to the faith you are evaluating. If your faith stands up under muster, then you can have your faith. If not, abandon it, for any God who requires you to believe correctly when we have this extremely strong tendency to believe what we were born into, surely should make the correct faith pass the outsider test. If your faith cannot do this, then the God of your faith is not worthy of being worshipped.
-John W. Loftus, DebunkingChristainity.com

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-12-2014, 09:36 AM
(28-12-2014 09:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 07:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh thank god, I was worried I was the only one...

Oh come on guys, I did put this in the atheism vs theism section. Though come to think of it, the first time I did get my cherry popped I'm pretty sure I saw god. Yes

You got your cherry popped more than once? How did you manage that?

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-12-2014, 10:01 AM
(27-12-2014 06:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I forget who first posted it but this should make for some lively conversation: Letter to a CES Director

Pages 9 through 12 are frigging hilarious. The whole "Golden Tablets of the Book of Mormon" story comes straight out of a Captain Kidd pirate book.

I posted something about that. My family is Mormon and I got my dad into reading it. He couldn't defend his stance on any of it but, still chooses to believe because "it's the only true church".
30-12-2014, 10:20 AM
[Image: popped-cherry-02.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post