Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.
(30-11-2012 10:11 AM)Frayed Knot Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 05:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Or making people say 'Happy Holidays' because "Merry Christmas" isn't PC enough.

Well, that's BS. Atheists aren't making people say "Happy Holidays." What happened is that business owners realized that about 25% of their customers are not Christian, so they instruct their employees to make everyone feel welcome and not marginalize 25%. They can say "Happy Holidays" and be inclusive of all their customers, or they can say "Merry Christmas" and be nice to 75% while making the other 25% potentially feel not welcome.

Atheists (as a group) have nothing to do with this.

Exactly. I don't really celebrate Christmas I celebrate Santa Claus. :-) I feel Santa is a far better role model even if he does smoke a pipe and eat too many cookies. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-11-2012, 02:39 PM
(30-11-2012 12:02 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 05:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hate what atheists are doing, protesting or whatever public Christmas things.
Or making people say 'Happy Holidays' because "Merry Christmas" isn't PC enough.

It's Bull. Shit.

So they have a parade? so fucking what? So do the Irish on Saint Patty's day. So do the gays with their prancing around going "yay for dick" shit. The Chinese have their New Years (which btw is far more badass then Christmas, I'm just sayin.)
Just let the Christians have their little shitty holiday.

Just because as Atheists we don't have a holiday doesn't mean we need to be disrespectful and ruin it for them.

Now don't get it twisted, I think there is a difference between "protest" and.. promoting Atheism, but petitioning public Christmas shit is just so.. petty IMO.
Again, where's the Atheist petitions against the gay pride shit?

"But muffs, it's using public space and public taxes blah blah blah"
So? In America there is a HUGE majority of Christians, does that then not make sense to spend money on that majority?
ie: Taxes pay for roads, but not everybody uses roads. What about the people that walk everywhere? There's heaps of public financed services 100% of the population don't use.

My point is, just because we don't have a holiday shouldn't mean that we don't want them to have theirs.

tl;dr Have some fucking respect. Even if you don't respect the religion, respect that it is their right to believe in that shit.
Drinking Beverage

Amendment I:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charter...cript.html

But If you want some respect, then we should have Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, and Festivus displays along side every christian display on government property.

Also you should note that by making christmas a federal holiday it violates the first amendment.

I personally think they should change Columbus day to "Explorers" Day and Christmas to holiday celebration day.
30-11-2012, 06:01 PM
You're not getting it.

Sure it's in the out-dated constitution, but like I said, what about gay pride shit, what about the Irish, what about the Chinese, what about any other minority who never seems to have all this fuss associated with it??

Fuck the constitution.

People, you people, bitch about it all the time "oh the constitution says this it's out dated and needs to be changed" BUT as soon as it helps you in your case it's all "but the constitution says this". It's no better then a theists saying this part of the bible is literal and this part is metaphorical.

Also, would you people be complaining if you were theists? Noooooo...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
30-11-2012, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2012 06:13 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
I've never associated Christmas with Christian tradition. It's been so secularized that quite frankly anybody is free to join the bandwagon, and fuck the fake Christian symbolism that was fabricated to entice the Pagans a long time ago. Sure the Christians might still be celebrating it religiously, but that only rings true for Christians. The market has secularized the shit out of it. It's the holiday of gift giving that anybody can celebrate now. That's the image of Christmas that has been popularized, and it bears little resemblance to the holiday as is celebrated by the fundies.

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Nobody said everything in the constitution needed to be changed.
That's presuming too much Muffs. If someone thinks that the part within it about Seperation of church and state makes sense why would they want to change that just because they want another part changed?

Just clarifying as I have no actual input on the conversation at hand, and I am a saucy Canadian.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 06:26 PM
You people? Who? I believe in the constitution. Is it perfect no, but we also have a supreme court to interpret it. I have more belief in constitution than I do in the bible.

If you're angry because someone on fox news says or claims there's a war on Christmas -- I can't help you. No atheist in my secret atheist club has been passing around a declaration of war on Christmas.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

30-11-2012, 06:32 PM
(30-11-2012 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're not getting it.

Sure it's in the out-dated constitution, but like I said, what about gay pride shit, what about the Irish, what about the Chinese, what about any other minority who never seems to have all this fuss associated with it??

Fuck the constitution.

People, you people, bitch about it all the time "oh the constitution says this it's out dated and needs to be changed" BUT as soon as it helps you in your case it's all "but the constitution says this". It's no better then a theists saying this part of the bible is literal and this part is metaphorical.

Also, would you people be complaining if you were theists? Noooooo...

You do realize that the amendment process is a way to change or add on to the constitution?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-11-2012, 06:57 PM
(30-11-2012 06:09 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've never associated Christmas with Christian tradition. It's been so secularized that quite frankly anybody is free to join the bandwagon, and fuck the fake Christian symbolism that was fabricated to entice the Pagans a long time ago. Sure the Christians might still be celebrating it religiously, but that only rings true for Christians. The market has secularized the shit out of it. It's the holiday of gift giving that anybody can celebrate now. That's the image of Christmas that has been popularized, and it bears little resemblance to the holiday as is celebrated by the fundies.

I agree with that and if you've noticed atheist groups are going after nativity scenes, and not santa scenes, or christmas decorations.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-11-2012, 07:03 PM
(30-11-2012 06:57 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 06:09 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've never associated Christmas with Christian tradition. It's been so secularized that quite frankly anybody is free to join the bandwagon, and fuck the fake Christian symbolism that was fabricated to entice the Pagans a long time ago. Sure the Christians might still be celebrating it religiously, but that only rings true for Christians. The market has secularized the shit out of it. It's the holiday of gift giving that anybody can celebrate now. That's the image of Christmas that has been popularized, and it bears little resemblance to the holiday as is celebrated by the fundies.

I agree with that and if you've noticed atheist groups are going after nativity scenes, and not santa scenes, or christmas decorations.

My neighbor puts a baby jeebus on their lawn. I don't care. But if my kids schools or a government office does...ya I've got a problem. I *might* be annoyed if a public shopping mall did it, if they purposefully excluded other religions. If a church wants to do a nativity scene...I don't care. That's their right.
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-11-2012, 07:31 PM
The Singaporean way:

Celebrate them all.

National holidays for Hari Raya, CNY (the biggest noisiest one), Dewali (or Deepavali, if you refer) and Christmas.

Everyone gets to partyyyyy, with the added bonus of the peace, love and harmony that comes from the mass endorphin release.

Why and how I will leaving Christmas, the fuck, alone:

For me, the two Christmas messages:
a) celebration of the baby Jeebus
b) indulging the sacredness of consumerism
... are equally profane.

So to avoid all the nonsense, I'll be heading over to the deliciously communist (unreligious) Ho Chi Minh for chrimbo and then lazing away the new year at a lake-house in Sabah (where fresh lobster is cheaper than chicken).

Who wants to join me?

Can't call this a holiday cos there is nothing holy about it and also not a vacation cos I have to write some new stuff for the new courses next year.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post