Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Often people are quick to rely on the Constitution when it suits their personal needs or agenda. Just as often people are quick to criticize it when it conflicts with a personal viewpoint of belief.

In both cases, more than not, there is little effort to understand the scope and the thought that went into the document, and the freedoms it affords one. Freedoms like calling it crap on the Internet, which ironically is granted to you by the constitution. One of many freedoms so many in the world do not have but is taken for granted by so many Americans
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes vindicarblack's post
02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
RE: Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
(30-11-2012 05:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hate what atheists are doing, protesting or whatever public Christmas things.
Or making people say 'Happy Holidays' because "Merry Christmas" isn't PC enough.

It's Bull. Shit.

So they have a parade? so fucking what? So do the Irish on Saint Patty's day. So do the gays with their prancing around going "yay for dick" shit. The Chinese have their New Years (which btw is far more badass then Christmas, I'm just sayin.)
Just let the Christians have their little shitty holiday.

Just because as Atheists we don't have a holiday doesn't mean we need to be disrespectful and ruin it for them.

Now don't get it twisted, I think there is a difference between "protest" and.. promoting Atheism, but petitioning public Christmas shit is just so.. petty IMO.
Again, where's the Atheist petitions against the gay pride shit?

"But muffs, it's using public space and public taxes blah blah blah"
So? In America there is a HUGE majority of Christians, does that then not make sense to spend money on that majority?
ie: Taxes pay for roads, but not everybody uses roads. What about the people that walk everywhere? There's heaps of public financed services 100% of the population don't use.

My point is, just because we don't have a holiday shouldn't mean that we don't want them to have theirs.

tl;dr Have some fucking respect. Even if you don't respect the religion, respect that it is their right to believe in that shit.
I agree with you. It doesn't do anything to further our message. Most people celebrate Christmas in a secular way anyway. They see the nativity displays as a symbol of Christmas. A few may revere it as a religious statement, but most people just pass by and hardly give it a notice. It's just a backdrop among all the other Christmas ephemera.

Now, if they want to teach creationism as an alternative theory in science class at our public schools; that is worth fighting about and we will have much support even among religious people.
[+] 1 user Likes JDS's post
02-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Justifying something just because a majority might like it, does not infer it is correct either morally or legally. Private religious displays are welcome and protected under the first amendment. Conversely, Religious displays on government owned land, or involving government funds, involves unnecessary entanglement on the part of the government, with a particular religious viewpoint.

If there was a courthouse located in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood and chose to display only Islamic icons, Christians would be outraged , (and rightly so) but for the wrong reasons.
[+] 1 user Likes vindicarblack's post
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Pfft, followers of both religions are perpetually outraged just under the surface for no good reason.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-12-2012, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 06:29 PM by vindicarblack.)
People often fight vigorously when their core beliefs are challenged; some more then others. Regardless of one's religious belief system, the legal argument against display and by extension, tacit approval of, religious displays by the government, remains the same.
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
(30-11-2012 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're not getting it.

Sure it's in the out-dated constitution, but like I said, what about gay pride shit, what about the Irish, what about the Chinese, what about any other minority who never seems to have all this fuss associated with it??

Fuck the constitution.

People, you people, bitch about it all the time "oh the constitution says this it's out dated and needs to be changed" BUT as soon as it helps you in your case it's all "but the constitution says this". It's no better then a theists saying this part of the bible is literal and this part is metaphorical.

Also, would you people be complaining if you were theists? Noooooo...
The more i read Earmuff's ramblings the dumber i feel. "Outdated Constitution" really seems naive and show a total lack of understanding of how signifigant that OLD document really is. Please enlighten us as to WHICH religion Gay Pride is associated with where it violates the "Church/State" seperation. I'll be eagerly awaiting this response.
09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Here is a link to some interesting cases. Only 2 of them say atheist. http://atheism.about.com/library/decisio...yIndex.htm

Here is another one. A bunch of these are not from atheists or atheist groups. http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2012/...y-lawsuits

This one is christians attacking a school. I find this one quite interesting due to the way it is written and it is out of Houston TX. Well worth a read. http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/...school.php

This last one is just a funny parody. It is on the same level as the onion news network. Pretty funny. http://baetzler.de/humor/santa_lawsuit.html
09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
(30-11-2012 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 05:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hate what atheists are doing, protesting or whatever public Christmas things.
Or making people say 'Happy Holidays' because "Merry Christmas" isn't PC enough.

It's Bull. Shit.

So they have a parade? so fucking what? So do the Irish on Saint Patty's day. So do the gays with their prancing around going "yay for dick" shit. The Chinese have their New Years (which btw is far more badass then Christmas, I'm just sayin.)
Just let the Christians have their little shitty holiday.

Just because as Atheists we don't have a holiday doesn't mean we need to be disrespectful and ruin it for them.

Now don't get it twisted, I think there is a difference between "protest" and.. promoting Atheism, but petitioning public Christmas shit is just so.. petty IMO.
Again, where's the Atheist petitions against the gay pride shit?

"But muffs, it's using public space and public taxes blah blah blah"
So? In America there is a HUGE majority of Christians, does that then not make sense to spend money on that majority?
ie: Taxes pay for roads, but not everybody uses roads. What about the people that walk everywhere? There's heaps of public financed services 100% of the population don't use.

My point is, just because we don't have a holiday shouldn't mean that we don't want them to have theirs.

tl;dr Have some fucking respect. Even if you don't respect the religion, respect that it is their right to believe in that shit.

Public money can't be used for any religion - it is unconstitutional. The government is supposed to be secular.

This is not a difficult concept. Drinking Beverage

This is the issue as I see it. Not just because there is some religious display of whatever, but where it is and who is paying for it. Go, have your parades and/or Christmas displays...just keep them off the courthouse lawns, etc. and don't use a dime of taxpayer money on it either.
[+] 2 users Like Wolftyr72's post
09-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Christmas is fuck all to do with religion these days.