Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: Just leave Christmas the fuck alone.
I think you guys keep confusing baby jesus displays on government property with christmas.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Dammit. I was all set to make my own War on Christmas thread until I saw this 9 page shindig. I guess I'll just post 3 videos I like.

"I don't care what your name is, I'm calling you Bob" = saying Merry Christmas to non-Christians

"Why are you seeking to exclude everyone who isn't Christian?" ..."Religious is now synonymous with Christian in this country"

"Fox News is the source of this supposed 'War on Christmas' view... all while pushing the usual misinformation and rhetoric."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
16-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Is it a War On Ramadan because the lunch counters in public buildings are open during the day? Is it a War On Beltane because the courthouse doesn't have a bonfire? Is it a War On Buddhists because every Congressional session doesn't start with a meditation on human suffering (a much better way for a legislature to start a session than prayer)?

Your holiday is not under attack. Using public funds to buy religious decorations is illegal. The constitution is not out-dated, it is a beautiful work that has the flexibility to be modified when necessary while still remaining relevant centuries later.
[+] 4 users Like ScienceGeek2587's post
16-12-2012, 05:33 PM
(30-11-2012 05:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hate what atheists are doing, protesting or whatever public Christmas things.
Or making people say 'Happy Holidays' because "Merry Christmas" isn't PC enough.

It's Bull. Shit.

So they have a parade? so fucking what? So do the Irish on Saint Patty's day. So do the gays with their prancing around going "yay for dick" shit. The Chinese have their New Years (which btw is far more badass then Christmas, I'm just sayin.)
Just let the Christians have their little shitty holiday.

Just because as Atheists we don't have a holiday doesn't mean we need to be disrespectful and ruin it for them.

Now don't get it twisted, I think there is a difference between "protest" and.. promoting Atheism, but petitioning public Christmas shit is just so.. petty IMO.
Again, where's the Atheist petitions against the gay pride shit?

"But muffs, it's using public space and public taxes blah blah blah"
So? In America there is a HUGE majority of Christians, does that then not make sense to spend money on that majority?
ie: Taxes pay for roads, but not everybody uses roads. What about the people that walk everywhere? There's heaps of public financed services 100% of the population don't use.

My point is, just because we don't have a holiday shouldn't mean that we don't want them to have theirs.

tl;dr Have some fucking respect. Even if you don't respect the religion, respect that it is their right to believe in that shit.

I think the big separation between Christmas and other festivals such as St. Patrick's Day or gay pride parades is that they aren't overstepping lines of secularism, but Christmas is. But it's deeper than that.

While there is what one might call a "War on Christmas" (in an attempt to secularize December holiday celebrations), there's no War on Easter. Why not? For one thing, Easter isn't as widely recognized as Christmas, so one could ignore the holiday if he or she wished. But more importantly, there aren't a plethora of holidays celebrated at Easter-time. Celebrating Christmas to the exclusion of other religious holidays at the same time of the year is unfair to those religions, and the US Constitution protects us against that.

Now I draw from your argument that you make the same mistake that many people do and blame the War on Christmas on anti-Christian sentiments, because you blame "atheists" rather than "secularists" (even Bill O'Reilly doesn't make this mistake). In an experiment with two groups, you can find the cause of the difference in the two groups by blaming the variable. There isn't a War on Easter, therefore it isn't the Christian part of this holiday being attacked. My guess would be the variables that I listed above, but it's clearly not about Christianity itself.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
16-12-2012, 05:37 PM
(12-12-2012 12:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  "I don't care what your name is, I'm calling you Bob" = saying Merry Christmas to non-Christians

love this clip, and that quote was priceless. I've used that quote several times since.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post