Just listened to Clash from the Past

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Just listened to Clash from the Past
And I just can't... Facepalm does not begin to cover it. And I can't believe that, just a few short years ago, I would have been spouting the same arguments as Seth's old boss. I am so glad to be free from this delusion! And I keep having these moments of, "Christ, how the fuck did it take me so long to realize how STUPID these arguments are?!" just had to rant a bit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
RE: Just listened to Clash from the Past
It's alright, a lot of us have been there, are there still. But hey, it's all good! You woke up didn't you? Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
(01-11-2013 10:06 AM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  And I just can't... Facepalm does not begin to cover it. And I can't believe that, just a few short years ago, I would have been spouting the same arguments as Seth's old boss. I am so glad to be free from this delusion! And I keep having these moments of, "Christ, how the fuck did it take me so long to realize how STUPID these arguments are?!" just had to rant a bit.

You have to give about a metric ton of props to Seth for how he stayed calm, hell almost jovial, during that show.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
(01-11-2013 10:06 AM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  And I just can't... Facepalm does not begin to cover it. And I can't believe that, just a few short years ago, I would have been spouting the same arguments as Seth's old boss. I am so glad to be free from this delusion! And I keep having these moments of, "Christ, how the fuck did it take me so long to realize how STUPID these arguments are?!" just had to rant a bit.

I was so expecting The Clash when I opened this! Tongue

That guy was infuriating, if you can't stand him don't listen the one with Sye Dumbruggenmeister or whatever his last name is...don't do it!No

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
(01-11-2013 03:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You have to give about a metric ton of props to Seth for how he stayed calm, hell almost jovial, during that show.

Honestly, I have no idea how the hell he did it! I was getting amped up enough to talk to my car radio as I listened! I just couldn't believe the circular logic and contradictions and blatant, purposeful ignorance. Seth summed it up perfectly when he said "the desire to believe is greater than the desire to know." honestly, I feel kind of bad for the guy... He actually said that we are who we are when we're at our worst and that at his worst, he was unlovable so he needed Jesus living through him... It's just so sad that he can't accept the fact that he is good, to the point of needing to give that credit to a mystical zombie man from 2000 years ago.
02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
(01-11-2013 07:40 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I was so expecting The Clash when I opened this! Tongue

Me too.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 12:46 PM by Heathen.)
I thought that Seth did a great job on that interview. It was not a "debate", it was an "interview". There's a difference and I think a lot of hosts/broadcasters seem to forget that. The really good ones know that the goal is not to "win the argument", but to allow the audience to learn about the guest by posing good questions and allowing them to speak. This was a great example of how it should be done.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 3 users Like Heathen's post
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 06:56 PM by Free Thought.)
(02-11-2013 11:34 AM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 03:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You have to give about a metric ton of props to Seth for how he stayed calm, hell almost jovial, during that show.

Honestly, I have no idea how the hell he did it! I was getting amped up enough to talk to my car radio as I listened! I just couldn't believe the circular logic and contradictions and blatant, purposeful ignorance. Seth summed it up perfectly when he said "the desire to believe is greater than the desire to know." honestly, I feel kind of bad for the guy... He actually said that we are who we are when we're at our worst and that at his worst, he was unlovable so he needed Jesus living through him... It's just so sad that he can't accept the fact that he is good, to the point of needing to give that credit to a mystical zombie man from 2000 years ago.

When I first listened to it, I was walking to school (Woo, iPod!), I must have looked something like an angry, yet neatly dressed hobo in my stretched out jacket, falling apart work boots with a satchel case slung and resting on the small of my back as I casually plodded along with occasional utterances of "What?!" "You're fucking kidding me!" and the like amidst exasperated groans.

There is a worse episode though. Far, far worse. In a galaxy far, far worse.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I think everyone's entitled to look crazy every now and then... Especially when you're listening to a truly maddening conversation. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes SheilaMercon's post