Just missed the Roman gods?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Just missed the Roman gods?
The western world inherited christianity from the Roman empire just before it collapsed. If Rome hadn't converted wouldn't we be arguing the existence of Jupiter and Diana etc. I wonder what a Roman fundie would be like?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
RE: Just missed the Roman gods?
(08-04-2014 10:24 PM)john2 Wrote:  The western world inherited christianity from the Roman empire just before it collapsed. If Rome hadn't converted wouldn't we be arguing the existence of Jupiter and Diana etc. I wonder what a Roman fundie would be like?

Probably wouldn't exist. The early pagan polytheists were very accepting of other religions, and so a Roman worshiper that was introduced to an Egyptian would just see their names and rituals as other faces of the same gods. Thoth was seen as another avatar of Mercury, Ra was Apollo, and vice versa.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
I'll bet the Venus fundies would be FANTASTIC in the sack. Drooling

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 3 users Like DemonicLemon's post
08-04-2014, 10:39 PM
(08-04-2014 10:29 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  I'll bet the Venus fundies would be FANTASTIC in the sack. Drooling

Did I get the right one?

[Image: aphrodite_ix_unfinished_color_02_by_ric1975-d4fpmss.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-04-2014, 10:48 PM
(08-04-2014 10:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:29 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  I'll bet the Venus fundies would be FANTASTIC in the sack. Drooling

Did I get the right one?

I was thinking along the lines of God of War 3's Aphrodite. I'd post a pic but the images are either low-res or uncensored.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
08-04-2014, 11:28 PM
(08-04-2014 10:48 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Did I get the right one?

I was thinking along the lines of God of War 3's Aphrodite. I'd post a pic but the images are either low-res or uncensored.

[Image: aphrodite-smite-22282-1920x1080.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
My argument.

"Neo-Judiasm" or Christianity was adopted for a reason. If not that, then most likely something very similar to it. Maybe Islam, which was another off shoot.

Religions in themselves are very malleable and not that important. They will be altered to fit whatever the roll the leaders would have needed. The religion would resemble Christianity in all ways but in name.

Just how much of the bible itself, now, do people not know about or even use? They pick and choose. Or rewrite partially or completely.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
09-04-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't believe the Roman empire collapsed. It just simply changed names to the Holy Roman Empire with the help of the Roman Emperor, Constantine (306-337 ACE), also known as Constantine the Great.

Constantine converted (for what ever reason) to the new religion, Christianity, and by the end of his reign saw to the conversion of most of Rome. Shortly after Constantine, Rome began raising Popes instead of Emperors.

Also, the gods were on their way out at least 100 years before Constantine's reign began, Christianity was on the rise and the time was ripe for the introduction of a new God, one that simplified existence and promised eternal life after death.

The rise of the Holy Roman Empire and the Papal state after Constantine is a truly fascinating history.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
09-04-2014, 03:28 AM
(09-04-2014 12:01 AM)Dee Wrote:  I don't believe the Roman empire collapsed. It just simply changed names to the Holy Roman Empire with the help of the Roman Emperor, Constantine (306-337 ACE), also known as Constantine the Great.

Constantine converted (for what ever reason) to the new religion, Christianity, and by the end of his reign saw to the conversion of most of Rome. Shortly after Constantine, Rome began raising Popes instead of Emperors.

Also, the gods were on their way out at least 100 years before Constantine's reign began, Christianity was on the rise and the time was ripe for the introduction of a new God, one that simplified existence and promised eternal life after death.

The rise of the Holy Roman Empire and the Papal state after Constantine is a truly fascinating history.

Very interesting. I think it gets it's appeal because it sounds very conspiracy like.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
09-04-2014, 04:10 AM
No conspiracy here--history

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles