Just need to get this off my chest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Just need to get this off my chest!
I am so sick and tired of "godly" people hating and turning on me because of my lack of faith and religion. I was raised in church (baptist to be exact), but have had serious doubts since I was about 6-years-old. About a year ago is when I told my family and friends that I was not a believer. It didn't go well. I immediately lost over 40 friends and family on facebook and in my life. No warning, no discussion, no questions. They dropped me in an instant simply because I don't believe in the same thing they do. God. The one who we have no evidence or proof of. God, who has caused insurmountable pain and destruction by his own hands. (that's if he's real)

To be clear, it didn't hurt my feelings at first and still doesn't. You find out who truly cares about you when you make an announcement like that. I'm not hurt. I'm pissed. I'm annoyed. I'm baffled. Why do my religious beliefs make a difference in somebody else's life? Why? I have not dropped any of my christian friends. Considering the fact that I was raised in church, most of the people I know are believers. They post their bible verses and prayers all over facebook and I don't blink an eye. I keep scrolling. Some of them only keep me so they can berate me and my posts against religion. Just so they can start an argument. An argument which is fruitless against me. They will not and cannot change my mind, but they think they can. They think that yelling, screaming, crying, belittling, and threatening me will lead me to their god. They are wrong. Christ would not have done any of that. I'm so over christians and their hateful bigotry! If I am going to hell simply because I don't believe then I will take it.

Sorry, I had to rant. I just had to get that off my chest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like seeker13's post
23-02-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Just need to get this off my chest!
I'm not qualified to reply to you as I have never been religious, but if 'friends' drop you just because you have a different view to theirs then they were not friends anyway.
I have friends who are at the dimmer end of stupid, a JW elder and a CofE vicar. I call them delusional, they call me the brother of Satan. It's all good as friendship conquers all so they say. (I do know that the JW has problems with having me as a friend as he is not supposed to).
Family is different though and I'm afraid I simply don't understand how any family member could cut off contact over something as silly as fairy tales. You don't say if it is close family (I hope not) of more distant relatives. Makes no difference to my view but I guess one is easier to live with.
Take care and best wishes.
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 3 users Like stevec's post
23-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I can empathize with your situation to a degree in that I grew up baptist and the overwhelming majority of my "friends" are baptist or methodist. However, I have not come out to anyone but my wife and one friend (which was an accident on account of a night of drinking too much and running my mouth). To my surprise that friend turned out to also be an atheist.
If I were to come out on facebook, I am quite sure that I would immediately lose somewhere in the range of 20-25% of my "friends" by doing nothing more than posting the simple phrase "I do not believe in god". Another 20-25% would only refrain from unfriending me because I would become their pet project to bring back to jesus.
Instead, I am enjoying posting subtle hints of my apostasy that mostly float right over my friends' heads. I also get quite a kick out of looking around during all the prayers (at work, school, and other functions that should be free of religion but aren't) to see if anyone else is looking around. I am hoping to ID a few more atheist friends that way before I drop the big bomb.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
24-02-2016, 01:24 PM
It's both immediate family and distant relatives. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine hating someone for their belief.

(23-02-2016 03:11 PM)stevec Wrote:  I'm not qualified to reply to you as I have never been religious, but if 'friends' drop you just because you have a different view to theirs then they were not friends anyway.
I have friends who are at the dimmer end of stupid, a JW elder and a CofE vicar. I call them delusional, they call me the brother of Satan. It's all good as friendship conquers all so they say. (I do know that the JW has problems with having me as a friend as he is not supposed to).
Family is different though and I'm afraid I simply don't understand how any family member could cut off contact over something as silly as fairy tales. You don't say if it is close family (I hope not) of more distant relatives. Makes no difference to my view but I guess one is easier to live with.
Take care and best wishes.
Steve
24-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I did the same thing before I really told anyone. I would post subtle hints and such. It took a while for most to catch on and even when they did catch it they said it was a "phase i'm going through." Good luck to you when you decide to come out with it. Even though i'm sick of being harassed about it I must say there is a great deal of liberation to finally getting it out there.

(23-02-2016 03:33 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I can empathize with your situation to a degree in that I grew up baptist and the overwhelming majority of my "friends" are baptist or methodist. However, I have not come out to anyone but my wife and one friend (which was an accident on account of a night of drinking too much and running my mouth). To my surprise that friend turned out to also be an atheist.
If I were to come out on facebook, I am quite sure that I would immediately lose somewhere in the range of 20-25% of my "friends" by doing nothing more than posting the simple phrase "I do not believe in god". Another 20-25% would only refrain from unfriending me because I would become their pet project to bring back to jesus.
Instead, I am enjoying posting subtle hints of my apostasy that mostly float right over my friends' heads. I also get quite a kick out of looking around during all the prayers (at work, school, and other functions that should be free of religion but aren't) to see if anyone else is looking around. I am hoping to ID a few more atheist friends that way before I drop the big bomb.
[+] 1 user Likes seeker13's post
25-02-2016, 08:29 PM
(23-02-2016 12:27 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I immediately lost over 40 friends and family on facebook and in my life. No warning, no discussion, no questions. They dropped me in an instant simply because I don't believe in the same thing they do. God.

That is so fucking Cool man!! This is a really cool and a really good thing that happened! Know why?

[Image: 9273322460_fuck_them.jpg]

Not one single one of them loved you. None of those family members loved you, none of those so called "Friends" were actually your friend. None of them even liked you in the slightest and they never had, don't now-nor ever will. Why? Because they only cared about Jesus and whether or not you were as mindless as they are. This is fucking FANTASTIC that this happened to you, because now..you know exactly who does give a shit about you. If that number is zero people, you now know your whole life is a lie and can now move on and find real human beings, people with truth compassion and empathy and love who will appreciate you. Even if it takes a little while, there are TONS of them out there! Hell, You have me right here if that is a good start!

Quote:You find out who truly cares about you when you make an announcement like that. I'm not hurt. I'm pissed. I'm annoyed. I'm baffled. Why do my religious beliefs make a difference in somebody else's life? Why?

You are right, and why does it happen? Because they are taught from babies to pray and hate everything that is not them.

Quote:I have not dropped any of my christian friends. Considering the fact that I was raised in church, most of the people I know are believers. They post their bible verses and prayers all over facebook and I don't blink an eye. I keep scrolling. Some of them only keep me so they can berate me and my posts against religion. Just so they can start an argument. An argument which is fruitless against me. They will not and cannot change my mind, but they think they can. They think that yelling, screaming, crying, belittling, and threatening me will lead me to their god.

They do that because that is what keeps THEM in the religion, that has worked against them their whole life so they think if they do the same they can "convert" you back. They probably think you just pretend not to believe so you can sin and worship Satan lol.

They are wrong. Christ would not have done any of that. I'm so over christians and their hateful bigotry! If I am going to hell simply because I don't believe then I will take it.

You will always have friends here!...and if you're close by where I live a friend near by too!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 4 users Like Shadow Fox's post
26-02-2016, 12:23 AM
God you really know you're living in a wired society when the measure of love is facebook friendship Tongue

Take it easy OP. Your family if it operates like the standard family is weird and fucked up. Same for your friends. I doubt that they truly dislike you, they're probably just fucked in the head. Which can happen to anyone...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-02-2016, 12:27 AM
(23-02-2016 12:27 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I am so sick and tired of "godly" people hating and turning on me because of my lack of faith and religion. I was raised in church (baptist to be exact), but have had serious doubts since I was about 6-years-old. About a year ago is when I told my family and friends that I was not a believer. It didn't go well. I immediately lost over 40 friends and family on facebook and in my life. No warning, no discussion, no questions. They dropped me in an instant simply because I don't believe in the same thing they do. God. The one who we have no evidence or proof of. God, who has caused insurmountable pain and destruction by his own hands. (that's if he's real)

To be clear, it didn't hurt my feelings at first and still doesn't. You find out who truly cares about you when you make an announcement like that. I'm not hurt. I'm pissed. I'm annoyed. I'm baffled. Why do my religious beliefs make a difference in somebody else's life? Why? I have not dropped any of my christian friends. Considering the fact that I was raised in church, most of the people I know are believers. They post their bible verses and prayers all over facebook and I don't blink an eye. I keep scrolling. Some of them only keep me so they can berate me and my posts against religion. Just so they can start an argument. An argument which is fruitless against me. They will not and cannot change my mind, but they think they can. They think that yelling, screaming, crying, belittling, and threatening me will lead me to their god. They are wrong. Christ would not have done any of that. I'm so over christians and their hateful bigotry! If I am going to hell simply because I don't believe then I will take it.

Sorry, I had to rant. I just had to get that off my chest.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
Matthew 10.14.

Big Grin Consider Drinking Beverage Thumbsup

Screw them. They are all idiots. You're the smart one. Shy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post