Just needing some advice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Just needing some advice
Greetings everyone,
I am new to this forum, been Atheist for 4 years now, was a Christian prior to separating from that faith and since then, my happiness has improved because of it. Long story on how I came to separate and everyone has one so I wont bore you all with the details.
I have a friend who I consider close who has been trying to get me to become Pagan, as I have not revealed the fact I am a nonbeliever, I have lost a lot of people I thought were friends when I came out with the exception of my mother.
I stupidly went on a tour out of state to learn more about the faith though I know quite a bit about it already, my opinion has not changed.
Should I come out and tell him of my nonbelief? (As stupid as it may sound, he is the closest friend I have.)
I have been debating this for awhile and am
tired of holding back.
I am happy to be an Athiest, I am content knowing nothing will happen after my death, I don't need a God or Godess to lean on in my time of need. It never helped in the past.

Thank you all for reading and I apologize for the post being a little lengthy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2017, 06:34 PM
RE: Just needing some advice
Welcome.

That is such a highly individual thing, it's hard to give advice. It all depends on what your friend is like and how your relationship is...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-08-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: Just needing some advice
I think it depends on how passionate your friend is about his religion (in all honesty, part of me has always suspected pagans of just pretending, because I can't believe that anyone can actually believe something this silly. Kinda thought it was more woo-y, one-with-nature mumbo-jumbo)

Anyway, unless your friend is a pagan fundamentalist (hehe), I think it's better to (gently) tell him you're not especially interested and that you have your own beliefs (or lack thereof ;-)). After all, fair is fair, right? Why should his way of seeing the world outweigh yours? And your lack of belief deserves as much respect as other people's beliefs.

Religious beliefs are a rather important part of who we are so I think that among really close friends, this shouldn't really be a secret (of course, there are always exceptions).

Also, welcome (and this wasn't a long post by any stretch of the imagination Wink)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
11-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Sad Just needing some advice.
Hey everyone, first and foremost I am new to the forum and have been gladly an Athiest for 4 years.
I however have come for advice from other Atheists about a situation I am currently in.
I have been close with my best friend for about 4 years now, he is Pagan. I have not come out about my lack of belief in a God since I have met him and have not come out because in the past those I considered close, turn e their backs on me due to my Atheism.
I have however, come to a point that I can't hold back any longer, reason being I feel he is trying to push Paganism on me since I was Christian up until I was 20, I even stupidly accepted to go on a vacation week to an area to learn more about this faith. Needless to say, I already know much about it and my opinion has not changed.
My question here is, should I bite the bullet and come out? I can't take it holding it back, especially having to deal with a disease which will progress into colon cancer which already adds enough stress with in itself.
I am happy to be Atheist, I am content knowing that after death, nothing will happen. Tired of all the judgments I thought would never come from people I thought were friends. I just want the same respect as everyone else wants.
Another question, I am thinking of joining a group in my city dedicated to the topic of Atheism. Never attended anything like it and enjoy meeting like mind people. What all is required of me to join one of these social meet ups?

Thank you all for taking the time to give what advice you can, I hope to be apart of this forum for awhile as this is my first time in an all Atheist forum group! Big Grin
11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: Just needing some advice.
Hi.

Advice...

Don't make 2 threads about the same thing, especially on you're first arrival.

Make a thread in introductions to introduce your self, read the forum rules, then jump right in.

Smile

...and welcome

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
11-08-2017, 07:04 PM
(11-08-2017 07:01 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Hi.

Advice...

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to - first post has to be approved, so he probably thought something went wrong and it wasn't sent...

A mod will just merge them.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
11-08-2017, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 07:15 PM by unsapien.)
(11-08-2017 07:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 07:01 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Hi.

Advice...

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to - first post has to be approved, so he probably thought something went wrong and it wasn't sent...

A mod will just merge them.

I thought of that, just wanted to give...advice... you know just in case...

EDIT: Holy crap... fastest merge I ever saw...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
11-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Howdy Chuck. Welcome. Can't improve on what Vera said.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
11-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Yeah sorry about double posting, I truly did believe something went wrong since my tablet kicked me to mobile portion and is known to have issues with the mobile setups so I switched to full view, so I greatly apologize! Sad
Firstly, he considers himself a heathen and doesn't even practice the magical, I think he only does it in rebellion to Christianity, faking as stated above, I agree with you in so many ways Vera, most Pagans I meet know little on practicing magick as well as the many centuries of Gods that are out there, one that I met, her primary belief was she was Pagan because she believed in a Goddess mixed in with Christianity....
Nonetheless thank you all for the time takin to respond, even you unsapian. Smile I had a feeling it would double post.

One last question, what is required in order to get more involved in community based Atheist groups?
11-08-2017, 07:32 PM
(11-08-2017 07:20 PM)ChuckuhLot Wrote:  Yeah sorry about double posting, I truly did believe something went wrong since my tablet kicked me to mobile portion and is known to have issues with the mobile setups so I switched to full view, so I greatly apologize! Sad
Firstly, he considers himself a heathen and doesn't even practice the magical, I think he only does it in rebellion to Christianity, faking as stated above, I agree with you in so many ways Vera, most Pagans I meet know little on practicing magick as well as the many centuries of Gods that are out there, one that I met, her primary belief was she was Pagan because she believed in a Goddess mixed in with Christianity....
Nonetheless thank you all for the time takin to respond, even you unsapian. Smile I had a feeling it would double post.

I'm also sorry if my response sounded like a rebuke, I was truly giving what I thought was advice.

Glitches do happen. I should know that by now.

A friend in the hole