Just needing some advice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
RE: Just needing some advice.
(11-08-2017 07:20 PM)ChuckuhLot Wrote:  something went wrong since my tablet

[Image: icon_v_cry.gif]

Why d'ya have to go and mention the word tablet. On the day I discovered I apparently killed my latest one but good (well, it died on me). The second one in four months

Quote:so I greatly apologize!

No worries, even hardened veterans (and veteranettes Rolleyes ) occasionally make double posts.

Quote:Firstly, he considers himself a heathen and doesn't even practice the magical, I think he only does it in rebellion to Christianity, faking as stated above

Then it should probably be okay to tell him. Again, you know the situation best and will have to play it by ear. I can't imagine a non-monotheist reacting especially badly to someone coming out as an atheist (but what do I know, I'm from Europe and religion - or lack thereof - isn't a big deal here)

Quote:One last question, what is required in order to get more involved in community based Atheist groups?

Do you mean in real life, as opposed to atheist forums? I don't know where you are from, but if you know of a group like this where you live, why not just contact them and ask? Or go to a meeting, if they have such?

And we hope you get to be a part of the TTA too. It's a cool enough place. Quite diverse, too Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
11-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Hi Welcome Smile

I think if you feel that not being truthful about your atheism to your friend is causing you personal distress and if you feel that it is causing tension in your friendship, I personally would come clean and tell him. If it's neither of these things and you are okay with learning about the Pagan lifestyle and possibly taking part in it on occasion just as a way to spend time with your friend and honor his beliefs, then I don't think you necessarily have to tell him anything. If your disbelief is not impeding your friendship in any way, then I see no point in telling him if you think it could put a strain on a good friendship.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-08-2017, 07:41 PM
(11-08-2017 07:32 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 07:20 PM)ChuckuhLot Wrote:  Yeah sorry about double posting, I truly did believe something went wrong since my tablet kicked me to mobile portion and is known to have issues with the mobile setups so I switched to full view, so I greatly apologize! Sad
Firstly, he considers himself a heathen and doesn't even practice the magical, I think he only does it in rebellion to Christianity, faking as stated above, I agree with you in so many ways Vera, most Pagans I meet know little on practicing magick as well as the many centuries of Gods that are out there, one that I met, her primary belief was she was Pagan because she believed in a Goddess mixed in with Christianity....
Nonetheless thank you all for the time takin to respond, even you unsapian. Smile I had a feeling it would double post.

I'm also sorry if my response sounded like a rebuke, I was truly giving what I thought was advice.

Glitches do happen. I should know that by now.

No need to apologize at all, I am one of the few who accept I will make mistakes, I am happy to be corrected rather then continue making the same mistakes.
Your post was more informative then anything! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes ChuckuhLot's post
11-08-2017, 07:50 PM
[/quote]Do you mean in real life, as opposed to atheist forums? I don't know where you are from, but if you know of a group like this where you live, why not just contact them and ask? Or go to a meeting, if they have such?

And we hope you get to be a part of the TTA too. It's a cool enough place. Quite diverse, too Yes
[/quote]

I appreciate all the welcoming posts, I am really enjoying the forum so far as well as the diversity! Cool
I did mean outside of the internet but never have been apart of a social group before so I will just try to get ahold of a group. As cliche' as it sounds, I would love to inspire others that it is OKAY to lack faith and not to be ashamed of it.
Coming from a Christian background it truly has opened my eyes and made me not only a more accepting person but open minded on top of that.
Again I thank you all for your valuable time to help assist in my upcoming decisions! Bowing
[+] 3 users Like ChuckuhLot's post
12-08-2017, 06:14 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

BTW, your quote coding should look like this:

[ quote ]Do you mean in real life, as opposed to atheist forums? I don't know where you are from, but if you know of a group like this where you live, why not just contact them and ask? Or go to a meeting, if they have such?[ /quote ]

(Note that I've added unnecessary spacing in order to disable the coding.)

—You need to close all tags after you insert coding with the [/] switch. Or just block and hit the "quote" icon in the dialogue box toolbar, which will apply all selected coding automatically.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Hello Chuck.

I am known here as Banjo.

My first question is, what kind of pagan? Is your friend following the Hellenic gods? If so, I see no issue. None of those gods demanded to be followed. Indeed, some were quite likable.

If we take a few of them, we can have Asclepius, god of medicine. Nothing wrong with that.

Sterquilinus. God of feces. One would hope he visits each day.

Bacchus. God of wine and fertility.

These gods were quite harmless. Aside from a few interventions they did not really interfere with humanity. Possibly the worst intervention was that of Diana with Dido in the Aeneid.

Were I you I would simply tell your friend you have cast off xianity.

I am not as educated in other gods such as the often mentioned Thor. However reading the classics from the ancients can be very enjoyable. My all time favorite being Sophocles.

There exists a great work, an encyclopedia no less, written by a highly educated Roman known as Pliny the elder. Reading this work gives insight into what the ancients knew or thought to be true at the time. Reading this work shows how little they did know. It was not their fault. Pliny himself seems to have been a great humanitarian who died attempting to save the population of Pompeii.

This work, known as The natural history, is free to be read on the internet. Perhaps show it to your friend?

Natural history. Pliny the elder.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Do you think that pagans are sometimes just in it for the fun and the neat Earthy holy days? Personally, I do. They are sort of like nature-people, Earth-mothers, homesteaders even.

So...being an atheist doesn't mean you have to tell anyone. You can just go along for the fun of his pagan doings and never mention that you don't believe in any of any superstitious crap. You know yourself and that is all that matters.

Unless he is a very serious pagan, but I just haven't come across any like that.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post