Just once...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Just once...
[Image: gabby.jpg]

Just once, I would love to see an athlete give the credit for his or her success to evolution by natural selection and hard work.

www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

[Image: evol2.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Theofrak's post
07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
RE: Just once...
I like what Aaron Rodgers (QB for Green Bay Packers) said when he was asked about Tim Tebow's religious stances. He basically says to not flaunt your faith.

“I know Bob Costas at one point was critical about a player thanking Jesus Christ after a win, questioning what would happen if that player had lost, or do you really think God cares about winning and losing. I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, ‘Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.’

“So basically, I’m not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not. Given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis.”

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
If you really feel that the only reason you won was because god blessed you, then you should give the medal back.
Or
"I'm sorry miss, you tested positive for "blessings" and that's an unfair advantage to your other competitors"

I really like Gabby and her performances are incredible. She and her coaches deserve all the credit.
I just can't stand it when people don't accept all the hard work they put into their sport, but instead want to give credit to an imaginary being who did nothing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Phelps sure as fuck ain't no Christian. If he claims it it's only to keep his momma from praying for his ass for the next 40 years. Phelps knows he is God. ... It's what I would expect from a fellow Marylander.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Sadly, sports, which in some sense are religious surrogates, seem to be filled with theists.

Just watch the end of any NFL game and look out for the prayer circle made up of dozens of players from both teams and you'll know what I mean.

If Noam Chomsky is correct, sports, like religion, are instruments that the state uses to indoctrinate the masses into apathy, ignorance, and general impotence.

Mind you, I'm a pretty big sports fan and grew up a fanatic and competitive athlete, so I'm not saying it's all bad. Just that it's to be expected.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
(07-08-2012 08:28 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  If Noam Chomsky is correct, sports, like religion, are instruments that the state uses to indoctrinate the masses into apathy, ignorance, and general impotence.

Or, he just reignites the thought that "I Am My Own Personal Jesus."

This feels indisputable to me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-08-2012, 03:55 AM
I wish that an athlete would thank god when they lose, especially someone like an NFL quarterback. "It wasn't me today, it was just God's plan. I love you Jesus!" That would set off a nice shit storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
08-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Just one small thing you forget here, it's called SPONSORS. If one athlete says it was him and his coach and no god or God, how is that athlete suppose to get support form his team (mostly theists), government (mostly theists), sponsors (mostly theists), Olympic committee (mostly theists)...

You see, athletes are public persons and as such their PR is very important. It is much easier and better for them to be politically correct about these "sensitive" issues, so they just mention God and the majority of the public loves them. I see this as a PR move, as much as someone's real religion stance.

Would I love to see some open atheists in sports? Sure. Is it easier for them to move up the food chain if they are not opened atheists? Of course. So the conclusion is that we will not see open atheists in sports so soon, or in big numbers.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-08-2012, 05:57 AM
I can't even make pretend I care. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-08-2012, 06:14 AM
(07-08-2012 05:44 PM)Theofrak Wrote:  
[Image: gabby.jpg]

Just once, I would love to see an athlete give the credit for his or her success to evolution by natural selection and hard work.

Norwegian paddler Eirik Larsen, gold medal winner 1000 m paddling. "Now I can retire in good concience"

Norwegian fencer Bartosz Piasecki, silver medal winner "This is unreal. This shouldn't be possible. I came here as one of the lowest seeded fencers hoping to win a match or two. To get to the quarter finals is amazing. And now I'll get to experience an Olympic finals! Granted I won't win, but silver is as good as gold today!"

There's two for you, and honestly I can't remember a singel norwegian ever thanking god for their own hard work. Granted I don't care much for sports and such, but it's hard NOT to read these articles.