Just once...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: Just once...
(07-08-2012 08:28 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Sadly, sports, which in some sense are religious surrogates, seem to be filled with theists.

Just watch the end of any NFL game and look out for the prayer circle made up of dozens of players from both teams and you'll know what I mean.

If Noam Chomsky is correct, sports, like religion, are instruments that the state uses to indoctrinate the masses into apathy, ignorance, and general impotence.

Mind you, I'm a pretty big sports fan and grew up a fanatic and competitive athlete, so I'm not saying it's all bad. Just that it's to be expected.

Helps to explain my distinct lack of fan-osity.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2012, 09:44 AM
What about if an athlete said, "I want to give all the glory to God. He created this awesome process of evolution, and through that, my brain became hard wired to work hard and succeed only through the grace that He bestowed upon me with the miracle of evolution and natural selection. Thank you, God."

[Image: 649e6845-507c-4586-b93c-499a.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Just once...
(08-08-2012 05:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I can't even make pretend I care. Tongue

You'd care if they started thanking Gwynnies. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-08-2012, 09:53 AM
(08-08-2012 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What about if an athlete said, "I want to give all the glory to God. He created this awesome process of evolution, and through that, my brain became hard wired to work hard and succeed only through the grace that He bestowed upon me with the miracle of evolution and natural selection. Thank you, God."

[Image: 649e6845-507c-4586-b93c-499a.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lmm3edWoLK1qh55zko1_400.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Speaking of religious athletes.. I recently joined a program/gym called cross fit and it is a no joke - no hold back - serious as shit - work out regime. You really don't see any "out of shape" peeps in my box/gym- (seriously the typical guy looks like his stomach is made of tire tread - girls are fittttt too ).. We also have a website that we have to record and track our workouts and progress and they have profiles similar to facebook or the old myspace- but fitness based.. The only thing outside of your fav workouts/sports ect, is the favorite quote section. I was disgusted to find that a vast majority of these people have bible/ religious quotes. It seems the cleaner people live the more religious kooks I find in the crannies.. UGH.. Every box is different tho. hopefully I just found one that has had a lot of church referrals or something - so far I haven't had anyone preach to me - or scold me for my very irreverant mouth - so no harm no foul I guess

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Just once...
(08-08-2012 10:11 AM)k37713 Wrote:  You really don't see any "out of shape" peeps in my box/gym- (seriously the typical guy looks like his stomach is made of tire tread - girls are fittttt too )..

Pics or it didn't happen. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-08-2012, 10:47 AM
[Image: gabby.jpg]
FIXED. Thumbsup

Why would an athlete need to say anything?

So... have philosophy, religion, and self reflection become some kind of competition? Fuck it then, I'm out. That's just bullshit I don't need to be a part of... and wouldn't trust anyone who is. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-08-2012, 11:06 AM
When I first saw that she gave the glory to god I thought, really, you spent who-knows how long training, practing, sacrificing having a life outside the sport, money spent, your parents/guardians working to support you and trying to help you out.... and you thank GOD?!? Even if he did exist, he didn't do anything for you.

And quite frankly given what many believe, if god cared, Israel would be kicking butt at all events and winning all three medals in all events (if possible--I don't follow it enough to know for certain).
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
08-08-2012, 01:10 PM
(08-08-2012 10:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:11 AM)k37713 Wrote:  You really don't see any "out of shape" peeps in my box/gym- (seriously the typical guy looks like his stomach is made of tire tread - girls are fittttt too )..

Pics or it didn't happen. Big Grin

ha.. I wasn't talking about me.. as I stated I'm new ( give me a couple months and I'll be cut like a mofo ) Smile Although I'm pretty fit, most of these peeps make me look like gilbert grape Bowing

[Image: fwhash.jpg]

yes thats a beer.. sooo.. when I wonder why I'm not in better shape .. mystery solved... Big Grin

was not my intention to derail this thread.. just was shocked at the amount of xtians in my gym - thought there might be a corelation between hard core athletes and fanatical religious mumbo jumbo.. they seem pretty intense in both

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
(08-08-2012 10:11 AM)k37713 Wrote:  Speaking of religious athletes.. I recently joined a program/gym called cross fit and it is a no joke - no hold back - serious as shit - work out regime. You really don't see any "out of shape" peeps in my box/gym- (seriously the typical guy looks like his stomach is made of tire tread - girls are fittttt too )..

Hmmm, I'm skeptical. Post some pictures of the girls so we can see if you're telling the truth.Drooling