Just sayin'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Just sayin'
I suppose this thread could have been put in "Rants", but what the heck...

In listening and watching and reading many of the US politicians, "news" outlets and sporting events, I've come up with a list of terms and words that should be banned from these sources. They are overused, misused, misinterpreted, largely subjective, and - to be frank - quite stupid. Here are mine (in no particular order); you can add more if you like...

1. "just sayin'
2. "Ya know?"
3. "hero" (or "heroic")
4. "awesome"
5. "athleticism"
6. "Ummm" or "Uhhhh" (used in common speech to fill silence gaps)
7. "bombshell"
8. "spectacular"
9. "breaking news"
10. "special"
11. "alert"
12. "poverty" (define it accurately first, then use it only if you must)
13. "the rich" (same as poverty)
14. and my all-time "champion"......"my fellow Americans"

Add more; I'm sure there are many of them!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: Just sayin'
Oh, lately one thing has been taking foot hold that really annoys me:

America strong.

Someone does something impressive, they are "America strong".

WTF?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-11-2013, 09:42 AM
They should all have to use Pingu Speak.

Someone should dub it over fox news.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-11-2013, 09:45 AM
(08-11-2013 09:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, lately one thing has been taking foot hold that really annoys me:

America strong.

WTF?

Hear, Hear!! Agreed! We'll add it to the list!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
09-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Wanted to add something here....not words/phrases, but actions.....

1. The silly, ignorant, and fatuous "celebrations" in the end zone of US football when a person scores; and the silly, ignorant, and fatuous "celebrations" when any player in US football does their job (let us say, during a quarterback "sack", or a tackle, or almost anything). The player's minds and "worth" still remain in the "hood" playground seeing how tough they can be.

2. The nonsensical habit of world (and real) football players to either slide on their knees or rip their jersey off after scoring a goal.

Most - certainly not all - of the players of these two sports appear to be nothing short of narcissistic, self-agrandizing morons.

IMHO!

09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
(09-11-2013 01:10 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Wanted to add something here....not words/phrases, but actions.....

1. The silly, ignorant, and fatuous "celebrations" in the end zone of US football when a person scores; and the silly, ignorant, and fatuous "celebrations" when any player in US football does their job (let us say, during a quarterback "sack", or a tackle, or almost anything). The player's minds and "worth" still remain in the "hood" playground seeing how tough they can be.

2. The nonsensical habit of world (and real) football players to either slide on their knees or rip their jersey off after scoring a goal.

Most - certainly not all - of the players of these two sports appear to be nothing short of narcissistic, self-agrandizing morons.

IMHO!

It sounds to me as though you never played in organized, competitive sport. Consider

Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
(09-11-2013 01:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 01:10 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Wanted to add something here....not words/phrases, but actions.....

IMHO!

It sounds to me as though you never played in organized, competitive sport. Consider

Hubby was a football fan and one day he got me to watch a game with him. It was foreign to me, I grew up around soccer. Afterwards he asked what I thought of it. I said "I like it when they cuddle and stick their bums up in the air."

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
(08-11-2013 09:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, lately one thing has been taking foot hold that really annoys me:

America strong.

WTF?

Sounds like an Indian.

"How, paleface. America strong, Cherokee stronger"
09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
(09-11-2013 01:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  

IMHO!

You are entitled to your humble opinion also!

Bowing

09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I heard a word here on the forum for the first time from some theist while we were fighting about something. He was an old codger so I just figured it was an old word that had fallen into disuse. Then suddenly, I started hearing it amongst other people on YouTube... all theists!

My desktop dictionary didn't have it and even the spell check here tells me it's spelled incorrectly. I'm pretty well read and have a fairly diverse vocabulary so, thought it might be some arcane word that had been recently revived.... sure enough...

Bloviate
blo·vi·ate [bloh-vee-eyt]
verb (used without object), blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing.
to speak pompously.
Origin:
1850–55, Americanism; pseudo-Latin alteration of blow to boast; popularized by W. G. Harding

Then I really got to wondering... Consider was this some word of the day on one of those word-a-day calendars and it just got out of hand? Or maybe christees are use to all reading the same book and then repeating things ... ?

Uh... I recently found that Seth used the word in his book, De-converted... don't suppose they read that book, do ya? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein