Just sayin'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
RE: Just sayin'
(09-11-2013 08:21 PM)kim Wrote:  I heard a word here on the forum for the first time from some theist while we were fighting about something. He was an old codger so I just figured it was an old word that had fallen into disuse. Then suddenly, I started hearing it amongst other people on YouTube... all theists!

My desktop dictionary didn't have it and even the spell check here tells me it's spelled incorrectly. I'm pretty well read and have a fairly diverse vocabulary so, thought it might be some arcane word that had been recently revived.... sure enough...

Bloviate
blo·vi·ate [bloh-vee-eyt]
verb (used without object), blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing.
to speak pompously.
Origin:
1850–55, Americanism; pseudo-Latin alteration of blow to boast; popularized by W. G. Harding

Then I really got to wondering... Consider was this some word of the day on one of those word-a-day calendars and it just got out of hand? Or maybe christees are use to all reading the same book and then repeating things ... ?

Uh... I recently found that Seth used the word in his book, De-converted... don't suppose they read that book, do ya? Wink

Bill O'Reilly is fond of that word. And of bloviating.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
(09-11-2013 07:23 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 01:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  It sounds to me as though you never played in organized, competitive sport. Consider

Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

You are entitled to your humble opinion also!

Bowing

Of course, your opinion - as all beliefs - should be based on fact. I offer the following folks to support my statements:
Bronco Nagurski, Jim Brown, Mickey Mantle, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Jerry Cramer, Pele, Romero, Paul Hornung, Bob Greise, Willie Mays, Larry Csonka, Hector Scarone, Cal Ripken, Red Grange, Claudio Tafferel, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus, Hank Aaron, John Charles, Joe Greene, Roosavelt Griere, Mike Schmidt, Don Drysdale, Sandy Kofax, Carl Furillo, Frank Gifford, Paolo, Rossi, Fran Tarkington, YA Tittle, Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff, Ernie Banks, Mario Kempes, Rivelinio, Jack Lambert, Tommy McDonald, Lance Alworth, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Cesar Alverez, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, Dan Marino, Bob Gibson, Bob Feller, Jairzinho, Whitey Ford, Yale Lary, Willie Wood, Ronnie Lott, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Uwe Seeler, Omar Sivore, Frank Robinson, Stan Musial, Didi, Giovani Rivera, Mel Ott, Ty Cobb, Duke Snyder, Al Kaline, Dale Murphy, Joe Namath, Carlos Alberto, Roy Campenella, Barry Sanders, Deacon Jones, Giacinto Facchetti, Romario, Bob Lilly, Alan Page, Ryne Sandburg...and so many, many more NEVER (repeat NEVER) ripped their jerseys off, jumped onto home plate, or leaped around in the end-zone like most of the spoiled, narcissistic, self-agrandizing, unintelligent, ridiculous, babyish, unprofessional "professional" players of today.
Oh...and by the way....all of the folks in the list did in fact play competitive sports.
So...would you like to list your "players" here?

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2013, 09:39 AM
(11-11-2013 09:36 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(09-11-2013 07:23 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  You are entitled to your humble opinion also!

Bowing

Of course, your opinion - as all beliefs - should be based on fact. I offer the following folks to support my statements:
Bronco Nagurski, Jim Brown, Mickey Mantle, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Jerry Cramer, Pele, Romero, Paul Hornung, Bob Greise, Willie Mays, Larry Csonka, Hector Scarone, Cal Ripken, Red Grange, Claudio Tafferel, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus, Hank Aaron, John Charles, Joe Greene, Roosavelt Griere, Mike Schmidt, Don Drysdale, Sandy Kofax, Carl Furillo, Frank Gifford, Paolo, Rossi, Fran Tarkington, YA Tittle, Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff, Ernie Banks, Mario Kempes, Rivelinio, Jack Lambert, Tommy McDonald, Lance Alworth, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Cesar Alverez, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, Dan Marino, Bob Gibson, Bob Feller, Jairzinho, Whitey Ford, Yale Lary, Willie Wood, Ronnie Lott, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Uwe Seeler, Omar Sivore, Frank Robinson, Stan Musial, Didi, Giovani Rivera, Mel Ott, Ty Cobb, Duke Snyder, Al Kaline, Dale Murphy, Joe Namath, Carlos Alberto, Roy Campenella, Barry Sanders, Deacon Jones, Giacinto Facchetti, Romario, Bob Lilly, Alan Page, Ryne Sandburg...and so many, many more NEVER (repeat NEVER) ripped their jerseys off, jumped onto home plate, or leaped around in the end-zone like most of the spoiled, narcissistic, self-agrandizing, unintelligent, ridiculous, babyish, unprofessional "professional" players of today.
Oh...and by the way....all of the folks in the list did in fact play competitive sports.

My point was that it is emotional and people react as individuals, and if you don't understand the power of that emotion you may not have experienced it.

12-11-2013, 07:43 AM
(11-11-2013 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 09:36 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Of course, your opinion - as all beliefs - should be based on fact. I offer the following folks to support my statements:

My point was that it is emotional and people react as individuals, and if you don't understand the power of that emotion you may not have experienced it.

Your point is taken. May I state for the record that I have semi-pro baseball plus 18.9 years in the military (some of that time in combat) in my past. I have experienced emotion. So have each and every one of the folks on my list - and hundreds of thousands more. It is the reaction to emotion by the current crop of spoiled, narcissistic, self-agrandizing, unintelligent, ridiculous, childish, unprofessional "professional" players of today. As shown by the individuals on my list, one canhandle one's emotions professionally regardless of how "powerful" that emotion may be.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2013, 09:03 AM
(12-11-2013 07:43 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  My point was that it is emotional and people react as individuals, and if you don't understand the power of that emotion you may not have experienced it.

Your point is taken. May I state for the record that I have semi-pro baseball plus 18.9 years in the military (some of that time in combat) in my past. I have experienced emotion. So have each and every one of the folks on my list - and hundreds of thousands more. It is the reaction to emotion by the current crop of spoiled, narcissistic, self-agrandizing, unintelligent, ridiculous, childish, unprofessional "professional" players of today. As shown by the individuals on my list, one canhandle one's emotions professionally regardless of how "powerful" that emotion may be.

Point taken.
You are making a knowledgeable value judgement.