Just saying hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Just saying hello
Just wish to say hello and introduce myself to the community. I am a strong believer in Christ, but I am not a fundamentalist, literalist, nor a young earth creationist.
I have been involved in debates between people of various religions, agnostics, and atheists in writers’ forums for the past 6 years. The rift between those who hold to traditional religious beliefs and those following the scientific methods of learning about the universe, specifically life itself, was very apparent.

Through the exchanges, sometimes heated but mostly friendly, a desire grew in me to learn about science that was similar to my passion for gaining knowledge and wisdom of Jesus. As I discovered more about science, I realized how some of its procedures and methods were identical to how I studied scripture. Instead of abiding by the traditional beliefs that have been passed down through the past two millennia, I adopted an open-minded approach to collecting and assessing the available evidence in order to reach logical conclusions. This was opposed to beginning with the conclusion and gathering evidence to support it (circular thinking), which is the traditional way the study of scripture has been approached.

Using the scientific method to assess Christ’s doctrine, I often felt I was in the middle of a battlefield, receiving incoming fire from both sides of the debate. But attitudes towards my arguments have subtly changed as the years progressed. Though neither side has been convinced by my approach - a foot in each camp - I believe it has led to a more civil and open discussion.

I am hoping to find also an open-minded experience in this forum group.
Offered in the Love of Christ,
Harold ShyShyShy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like hecrow55's post
28-02-2017, 08:20 PM
RE: Just saying hello
Welcome to our forum.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Well hello, Harold!

We actually have a few believers here who take a similar approach to the one you have described, above, and who are quite well-liked.

Essentially, as long as you are intellectually honest, don't try to tell us "what atheists really are/think", and don't preach at us, you'll fit in just fine. I will warn you (gently and kindly!) that the "if you are just open-minded and approach the evidence scientifically, you will find Jesus" approach is still seen as preaching. You could, however, contribute to Shai Hulud's thread, which I am enjoying. He's a Christian trained in scientific thinking, who is reading Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ, and critiquing that author's claims of having honestly evaluated the evidence. I think you'd enjoy the conversation, there, so I'll link you to that thread.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...for-Christ

Meanwhile, welcome to TTA! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Welcome Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
28-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Hiya!
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
28-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
28-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Welcome my friend. We welcome all rational thinkers. Everyone has a journey in this life to make. What you choose to believe and not to believe is yours alone. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
28-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Welcome! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post