RE: Just saying hello
Welcome to TTA!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
28-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Welcome, nice to meet you Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
01-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Hallo!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
01-03-2017, 04:26 AM
Welcome Harold.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
01-03-2017, 05:07 AM
(28-02-2017 07:55 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Using the scientific method to assess Christ’s doctrine, I often felt I was in the middle of a battlefield, receiving incoming fire from both sides of the debate.

Life is a learning experience. It took me twenty-five years of study to realize theistic assumptions were unnecessary, but that was mainly because I was trying to prove them correct rather than fairly assessing both sides of the arguments. So good luck.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-03-2017, 05:21 AM
(01-03-2017 05:07 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 07:55 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Using the scientific method to assess Christ’s doctrine, I often felt I was in the middle of a battlefield, receiving incoming fire from both sides of the debate.

Life is a learning experience. It took me twenty-five years of study to realize theistic assumptions were unnecessary, but that was mainly because I was trying to prove them correct rather than fairly assessing both sides of the arguments. So good luck.

Very much in agreement that assumptions are totally unnecessary in the study of scripture. As in other studies, it is the evidence that will produce the correct answers, most of which I've found are completely reversed of what has been assumed.
01-03-2017, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 12:54 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(removed)
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
01-03-2017, 05:55 AM
(01-03-2017 05:38 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 05:21 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  Very much in agreement that assumptions are totally unnecessary in the study of scripture. As in other studies, it is the evidence that will produce the correct answers, most of which I've found are completely reversed of what has been assumed.

Have you read any of Bart Ehrman's books about the scriptures? He makes a good case that Jesus was an apocalypticist.

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Apocalyptic...art+ehrman

No I haven't. But I believe that he would be referring to Jesus' speaking on the events that would lead up to the end times. In Jewish belief, this refers to the ending of the Law of Moses and the beginning of the Messianic realm which I am convinced by the evidence has already occurred. Would like to go into this but unfortunately I have to go to work right now. Perhaps I'll start a thread to discuss this subject.
01-03-2017, 06:09 AM
"Using the scientific method to assess Christ’s doctrine"

Hi Harold!

I'm also new here, but your words above caught my eye...

To me, Christ's doctrine is moral doctrine. We should do this, we should do that.

And normally, people say that moral thinking isn't subject to the scientific method in the way that facts about the physical world are. That is, we can't set up a falsifiable test to determine whether or not it's good to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

When you say you applied the scientific method to doctrine, may I ask how you did that? Or are you thinking more about historical questions about Christ's existence?

No hurry, I understand you're busy! Thanks in advance.
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
01-03-2017, 08:03 AM
As a scientist, I'm definitely curious to learn how one might "use the scientific method to evaluate" the doctrines in any scripture. The scientific method is to make testable hypotheses and have the results be demonstrable by experiment or other observation which has the potential to falsify any version that is not true... and have it be evident/repeatable to anyone else who examines the same demonstration, under a critical eye.

What sort of doctrine would produce testable, repeatable, demonstrable results? This smells to me a bit like the apologetics I've seen before, in which they assert that something we know occurs naturally is in fact the result of magical forces (such as altruistic and/or moral behavior in social animals), and claim that only their religion accounts for the magical force they claim is at play. I hope I am wrong, and am certainly willing to listen... but this strikes me as odd from the beginning.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post