Just saying hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2017, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 12:53 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Just saying hello
(removed)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Welcome.

Since this is the introduction thread and we have special rules for engagement and the conversation is beginning to veer away from simply saying hello it may be time for hecrow55 to take this to the open section of the forum where we can more freely share ideas.

hecrow55, I’m sure many of us would welcome a new thread where we can discuss your ideas without restrictions. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
01-03-2017, 10:11 AM
(01-03-2017 05:55 AM)hecrow55 Wrote:  ...
Perhaps I'll start a thread to discuss this subject.

Excellent idea.

And thank you for noticing that this section is the 'get to know you' section rather than the 'hot topic' section.

Welcome to TTA. Looking forward to sharing and comparing ideas.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Hello, and welcome. Smile
01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
(28-02-2017 07:55 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  I am not a fundamentalist, literalist, nor a young earth creationist.

Well, that's a relief! Wink

Quote:Using the scientific method to assess Christ’s doctrine, I often felt I was in the middle of a battlefield, receiving incoming fire from both sides of the debate. But attitudes towards my arguments have subtly changed as the years progressed. Though neither side has been convinced by my approach - a foot in each camp - I believe it has led to a more civil and open discussion.

Perhaps we will debate some time.
I can't guarantee you won't still feel like you're on a battlefield, but I do try to treat others with at least the same degree of civility with which they treat me.

Welcome to the forum.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
01-03-2017, 06:26 PM
(01-03-2017 08:03 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As a scientist, I'm definitely curious to learn how one might "use the scientific method to evaluate" the doctrines in any scripture. The scientific method is to make testable hypotheses and have the results be demonstrable by experiment or other observation which has the potential to falsify any version that is not true... and have it be evident/repeatable to anyone else who examines the same demonstration, under a critical eye.

What sort of doctrine would produce testable, repeatable, demonstrable results? This smells to me a bit like the apologetics I've seen before, in which they assert that something we know occurs naturally is in fact the result of magical forces (such as altruistic and/or moral behavior in social animals), and claim that only their religion accounts for the magical force they claim is at play. I hope I am wrong, and am certainly willing to listen... but this strikes me as odd from the beginning.

I understand your concern on whether scientific method would work in studying scripture. As someone has pointed out, this is just a introduction section of the site. Will be starting a thread soon. Hope to see you there.
[+] 2 users Like hecrow55's post
01-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Hello Hecrow55 - always good to have the curious drop in to chat. This is a global site so, you'll get quite a variety of perspectives.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-03-2017, 07:18 PM
(01-03-2017 06:26 PM)hecrow55 Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 08:03 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As a scientist, I'm definitely curious to learn how one might "use the scientific method to evaluate" the doctrines in any scripture. The scientific method is to make testable hypotheses and have the results be demonstrable by experiment or other observation which has the potential to falsify any version that is not true... and have it be evident/repeatable to anyone else who examines the same demonstration, under a critical eye.

What sort of doctrine would produce testable, repeatable, demonstrable results? This smells to me a bit like the apologetics I've seen before, in which they assert that something we know occurs naturally is in fact the result of magical forces (such as altruistic and/or moral behavior in social animals), and claim that only their religion accounts for the magical force they claim is at play. I hope I am wrong, and am certainly willing to listen... but this strikes me as odd from the beginning.

I understand your concern on whether scientific method would work in studying scripture. As someone has pointed out, this is just a introduction section of the site. Will be starting a thread soon. Hope to see you there.

If you put it in the boxing ring you will only have to respond to one person. That saves a lot of whipsawing with the commentary. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-03-2017, 03:03 PM
[Image: K8XXuiQ.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post