Just so there is no confusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 09:48 PM by Reltzik.)
RE: Just so there is no confusion
(12-11-2015 08:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 05:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  The only bumper sticker that I ever want will read "I brake for tailgaters".

(Unfortunately, I've been advised that this could work against me if I'm ever sued after being rear-ended.)

It says you'd rather keep carbon out of the atmosphere than heavy metal batteries out of landfills.

In spite of people's best intentions in reducing their carbon footprint, the Prius just moves it over a few counties, or maybe even a state away. The energy still comes from fossil fuels, and since it has to be converted to electricity, there is even less efficiency to the Prius.

Um...

That's an issue for plug-in electric cars.

With hybrids (which is what a Prius is known for, even though there are a lot more hybrid models out there these days), the regenerative braking system captures a good chunk of the energy that would normally be lost to deceleration, and stores it in a battery for reuse. It's essentially recycling kinetic energy, and that has a major reduction in the carbon footprint.

As for plug-ins (which Toyota now has a model of Prius for, I think), it depends where your electricity comes from. If you're getting your power from a coal, petroleum, or natural gas plant, yes, that simply relocates the carbon footprint. If you're getting your electricity from solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal, biomass, or hydroelectric, then no, it doesn't.

(12-11-2015 08:41 PM)julep Wrote:  I hate bumper stickers, but I absolutely loathe those family stencils.

[Image: family_decals.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
12-11-2015, 10:07 PM
(12-11-2015 09:39 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  In spite of people's best intentions in reducing their carbon footprint, the Prius just moves it over a few counties, or maybe even a state away. The energy still comes from fossil fuels, and since it has to be converted to electricity, there is even less efficiency to the Prius.

Um...

That's an issue for plug-in electric cars.

With hybrids (which is what a Prius is known for, even though there are a lot more hybrid models out there these days), the regenerative braking system captures a good chunk of the energy that would normally be lost to deceleration, and stores it in a battery for reuse. It's essentially recycling kinetic energy, and that has a major reduction in the carbon footprint.

As for plug-ins (which Toyota now has a model of Prius for, I think), it depends where your electricity comes from. If you're getting your power from a coal, petroleum, or natural gas plant, yes, that simply relocates the carbon footprint. If you're getting your electricity from solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal, biomass, or hydroelectric, then no, it doesn't.

(12-11-2015 08:41 PM)julep Wrote:  I hate bumper stickers, but I absolutely loathe those family stencils.

[Image: family_decals.png]

True enough. Regenerative braking is taking many forms. There are companies that are developing it for things like trash trucks. The acceleration and deceleration from one house to another is being cycled into an accumulator instead of using brakes and fuel. Big savings. When on the road, they use fuel. Win-win.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-11-2015, 08:09 AM
I hate those stupid fucking "stick families" too .....

I rather liked this response --

[Image: $(KGrHqF,!oEFJNVmNE2hBSVEh,pGSw~~60_35.JPG]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-11-2015, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 09:36 AM by jabeady.)
Here's my stick - figure family:
[Image: 4766b536f8b05d869a0c84898327b992.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like jabeady's post
13-11-2015, 06:32 PM
You, sir, deserve a trollface.

[Image: troll-face-high-resolution.png.cf.png]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
17-11-2015, 03:07 PM
(12-11-2015 02:50 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 02:22 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  So he drove a Subaru but wasn't a liberal and since he was a man he couldn't have been a lesbian either.

This isn't the first time I've heard Subaru = lesbian. What gives? How is this even a stereotype?

Visit Cambridge Massachusetts, you'll understand the stereotype.