Just some musings...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Tongue Just some musings...
I wanted to share a random thought I had. I was thinking about the origins of our own solar system, and it’s future. In approximately five billion years our star, the sun, will expand to a red giant, engulfing and vaporizing mercury, venus, and, quite possibly, the earth. The heat of this would literally tear molecules apart. Even atoms would, perhaps temporarily, have their electrons ripped away, into an ionic plasma soup. The sun, casting off it’s outer shell, will be left a white dwarf.

The origins of our own solar system begun in much the same it will end. Or at least the foundations if its origin. There would have, in the much distant past, billions of years ago, a star, or stars that once reached their end as well. However, being much more massive than our own star, the sun, they would have had enough energy for one last explosive event in which they would go supernova, creating all the heaver elements needed for life. It would have been in the crucible of this, or these stars, that the elements that would form our star, our solar system, our world, and thus us, would have been created. We are quite literally, star dust, as it were.

This wasn’t really the thought, I’m referring to. Just the background, because as I thought about how our own solar system will end, and the similarity of what events would have had to have occurred to create it, a thought occurred to me. Perhaps, around that star, or one of those stars that gave birth to the elements that make up our bodies, there may have been a solar system of it’s own. It’s own planets orbiting it, that as with will happen to mercury, venus, and perhaps the earth, they were vaporized in the death of their own star, our parent star. If there was, there could have likewise been life on one or more of those planets. Perhaps even civilizations, with intelligence that rivals our own. In the event that ended that star’s life, that vaporized it’s planets, if there were any, it too would have vaporized the molecules of the life on those planets, or at least the molecules and atoms that were once parts of living things prior to that star’s final stages of expansion and collapse.

Perhaps, and we couldn’t know, but perhaps atoms inside our own bodies, were once atoms that made up the bodies of an ancient “alien” civilization. It’s too much speculation to say. But it’s interesting to think about. We, ourselves, could be made of not just star stuff, but previous, early celestial life, stuff. The very kind of life we look up at the stars and ponder about.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: Just some musings...
(11-10-2013 11:36 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Perhaps, and we couldn’t know, but perhaps atoms inside our own bodies, were once atoms that made up the bodies of an ancient “alien” civilization. It’s too much speculation to say. But it’s interesting to think about. We, ourselves, could be made of not just star stuff, but previous, early celestial life, stuff. The very kind of life we look up at the stars and ponder about.

Possible but not likely. Life like us requires second generations stars....that is stars born from the ashes or previous stars(in order to get all the heavy elements). The previous stars from which our solar system was born was probably a 1st generation star.
12-10-2013, 12:38 AM
(12-10-2013 12:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Possible but not likely. Life like us requires second generations stars....that is stars born from the ashes or previous stars(in order to get all the heavy elements). The previous stars from which our solar system was born was probably a 1st generation star.

That is a good point. I don't think it is likely myself. The odds, whatever those may be, seem unlikely.

But, larger mass stars burn through their fuel quicker, thus have shorter lives. If I round off the age of the universe to 14 billion years, subtract a rounded of 4 billion years for the age of our star. (rounded up for universe, down for sun to minimize the rounding) This leaving about 10 billion years to play with.

The age of a supermassive red giant, like that that would have gone super nova, would have "lived" less that 100 million years. perhaps only a few short 10s of millions. In the roughly 10 million years time, prior to our own sun, numerous stars of this type could have been "created" and destroyed. It's the time it takes in between explosions, and gravitation collapses of star debris, not time required for a star's life cycle, that matters, I think. And other near by super nova could speed up that gravitational collapse, as I understand it.

But again, only speculation. Not a knowable thing, or a claim I'd be foolish enough to make. Just interesting possibility to think about, I think.

12-10-2013, 01:56 AM
(12-10-2013 12:38 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  That is a good point. I don't think it is likely myself. The odds, whatever those may be, seem unlikely.

But, larger mass stars burn through their fuel quicker, thus have shorter lives. If I round off the age of the universe to 14 billion years, subtract a rounded of 4 billion years for the age of our star. (rounded up for universe, down for sun to minimize the rounding) This leaving about 10 billion years to play with.

The age of a supermassive red giant, like that that would have gone super nova, would have "lived" less that 100 million years. perhaps only a few short 10s of millions. In the roughly 10 million years time, prior to our own sun, numerous stars of this type could have been "created" and destroyed. It's the time it takes in between explosions, and gravitation collapses of star debris, not time required for a star's life cycle, that matters, I think. And other near by super nova could speed up that gravitational collapse, as I understand it.

But again, only speculation. Not a knowable thing, or a claim I'd be foolish enough to make. Just interesting possibility to think about, I think.

I understand where your coming from.

Think of any person in History, Aristotle for instance, when you take a breath you are inhaling atoms that he once inhaled. Your blood contains water molecules that once raced thru his veins. When you fart, you expel atoms he once farted out too.

Now I figure that intelligent life could have arisen at least 5 billion years before intelligent life on this planet rose. I don't think it farfetched that the some of what makes up you....made up some ancient alien. You could be part alien queef.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post