Just some thoughts.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 01:34 AM
RE: Just some thoughts.
(08-03-2013 01:22 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 04:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  This might be the rational thing to do, but the love I have for my children would probably induce me to behave irrationally.
That is both very Christian, and very un-Christian of you, and I submit that it reveals the very real doubts you have about the existence of God - if you truly believed, 100%, free of all doubt, then you'd understand that him telling you to kill your children is part of his plan for all of you and defying that plan is the greatest sin you could commit (denying his plan is tantamount to denying his existence).

What's happening here is you're imagining this hypothetical world with a proved god to be exactly like the real world where you assume the unproved god is real. So you project the same behavior in the hypothetical world that you would have in the real world. In the real world, you would irrationally defy god. Nobody who really, truly, knows that god is real would ever do that, especially if all the rest of the bible junk is KNOWN to be real, such as heaven, hell, salvation, eternal reward, eternal damnation. If all of that is real, and KNOWN to be real, nobody would defy god. Ever. Doubly-especially since you would really be doing your children a favor, getting them to heaven much faster than they would otherwise get there. Everybody wins.

But you don't see it that way because you're projecting this world into the hypothetical one. In this world, you have doubts. You might irrationally let your love for your children override your rational obedience to god because you are not sure that blind obedience to a god about which you have doubts, about whose existence you are uncertain, is justified.

Congratulations, you've taken the first step: realizing you are not as sure of the justification for your irrational faith as you thought you were.
My belief that God would not ask me to kill my own children is very strong thus the bolded part is errant. What is actually happening is I am imagining this hypothetical world with a proved god to be very different from the real world where I assume the unproved god is also real.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply