Just to say Hi from the UK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Just to say Hi from the UK
I have been an Atheist just about all my adult life. I have atheists that go back in my family at least to my great grandparents. Here in the UK it is the "God Botherers" that stand out, mostly religion is considered private. Shouting your love of Jesus is NOT the norm. Not long ago we had to regulate to stop the teaching of intelligent design in the UK. This makes us sound like retards but from before the 50s to the turn of the century evolution was the norm in UK schools, both the established Church (CofE) and the Pope's mob had caved. The only reason legislation was needed was because under Tony Blair (born again Catholic and friend of Little Bush) we got a new wave of religious schools that we are now reigning in. My local primary school has the motto"Caring for ourselves, other people and the environment", on the school mugs it has the following printed underneath it "The world and the universe is an extremely beautiful place, and the more we understand it the more beautiful it does appear" Prof Richard Dawkins.

I wish you all luck in the USA. Here we have more work as skeptics going after quack medical claims than a problem with organised religion, we do however have a bit of a rearguard action springing up to combat fundamentalism stoked up by our interventions in the middle east (Blair again). The UK is pretty tolerant, you have to be shown to cause harm before the population wakes up, with radical Islam that is happening.

Keep up the good work
Rob

PS Seth if you give me your details I will post you a mug! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: Just to say Hi from the UK
Welcome aboard.

Seth is rarely is on the forum.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-09-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Just to say Hi from the UK
Hi Robert M - glad you could make it. As Kid Charley said, Seth rarely makes an appearance here but the community does pretty well. You might find some interesting conversation here if you stick around.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein