Just tooting my own horn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Just tooting my own horn
As some of you may know, IRL I am a better-than-average bowler. I could have gone pro when I was younger but the money and stability just wasn't there. Well, I took 20 years off (the biggest mistake of my life next to not using critical thinking until I was in my 30s) to build my career and ensuing publishing company. Last year I realized my company is strong enough that I don't need to work as hard as I did when we first launched, so I decided to get back into bowling.

Last year I averaged 227, which is decent, especially after taking so many years off. But this year I have been enjoying some of the best performances of my career, and March was easily the best month of my bowling life. And it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I bowled 300-784 on Thursday to cap off a remarkable month that included a 1,049 4-game block, including 814 for three games and I won the tourney. I followed that up with series of 760-760-784 and tonight I bowled 778. Over that span I averaged 260+, which is unheard of.

It just feels good to finally be back to what I was capable of 20 years ago. I wanted to write it down somewhere because I don't like to do it on Facebook.

Anyway, just wanted to share my success and wondered if there were any bowlers out there who can appreciate this.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like WillHopp's post
04-04-2016, 10:42 PM
RE: Just tooting my own horn
Wow good for you! Big Grin How nice you are back to doing something you truly enjoy! I bowl for fun on occasion but I am not very good. But you certainly sound like you've got some bowling talent goin' on there Wink
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
04-04-2016, 10:48 PM
(04-04-2016 10:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  As some of you may know, IRL I am a better-than-average bowler. I could have gone pro when I was younger but the money and stability just wasn't there. Well, I took 20 years off (the biggest mistake of my life next to not using critical thinking until I was in my 30s) to build my career and ensuing publishing company. Last year I realized my company is strong enough that I don't need to work as hard as I did when we first launched, so I decided to get back into bowling.

Last year I averaged 227, which is decent, especially after taking so many years off. But this year I have been enjoying some of the best performances of my career, and March was easily the best month of my bowling life. And it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I bowled 300-784 on Thursday to cap off a remarkable month that included a 1,049 4-game block, including 814 for three games and I won the tourney. I followed that up with series of 760-760-784 and tonight I bowled 778. Over that span I averaged 260+, which is unheard of.

It just feels good to finally be back to what I was capable of 20 years ago. I wanted to write it down somewhere because I don't like to do it on Facebook.

Anyway, just wanted to share my success and wondered if there were any bowlers out there who can appreciate this.

Congrats!!!

My husband used to bowl, but he was never close to that. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Nicely done.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
04-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Congratulations.

I appreciate the sentiment (reaching / exceeding performance levels of a younger you) even though I don't understand any of the numbers.

Bravo.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Never really got into it myself, but well done!

Tongue Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-04-2016, 05:26 AM
I don't bowl - but do have a large supply of bowling pins (I've got a friend who does Brunswick machine repair) --

They make great reactive targets.............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-04-2016, 05:37 AM
But who do you think you are..? I am!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
05-04-2016, 06:46 AM
(04-04-2016 10:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  As some of you may know, IRL I am a better-than-average bowler. I could have gone pro when I was younger but the money and stability just wasn't there. Well, I took 20 years off (the biggest mistake of my life next to not using critical thinking until I was in my 30s) to build my career and ensuing publishing company. Last year I realized my company is strong enough that I don't need to work as hard as I did when we first launched, so I decided to get back into bowling.

When I bowled semi-regularly, I averaged in the 190s. The best string I ever bowled was 239, so I think I have a feel of what you're doing.

It sounds like you're really enjoying this, so have a great time. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Nicely done!
I never did much with it myself. My sister's hubby bowled a lot and took a big break like you did. We went out one day and he rolled a 186 on his first game. I think that did it for me Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post