Just what you wanted... another newbie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Just what you wanted... another newbie
Is this where we formally introduce ourselves? Hi. I'm a former Christian, born and raised. My family is extremely religious and at this point in time they have no idea that I am an atheist. It's hard for me to really pinpoint the start of my deconversion process. In some ways things seemed to change slowly over the course of years while other changes occurred overnight. Once I realized I no longer believed in the god that I was raised with I decided that I was good with calling myself an agnostic. Less than a week later I was an atheist and it is here I have settled.
Joining this group feels a bit like I am crashing a party so I'll be doing my best to mingle and join in the fun!

I'm also hoping this group is of the position that there is no such thing as a 'dumb question', because I fear I will have a lot of those.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Noelani's post
24-03-2012, 01:43 AM
RE: Just what you wanted... another newbie
Hi Noelani,

Welcome to the forum.

There IS no such thing as a dumb question here so post away and have fun.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
24-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Welcome Noelani Smile
24-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the family Noelani. Many of us find refuge on this site so I'm certan you will enjoy it

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
24-03-2012, 06:27 AM
It's about time we had another newbie!
Welcome, Noelani! Smile

But as to no such thing as a dumb question...wait until you see some of the questions that get posted here!

And if you're still worried about a dumb question, don't. It won't be as dumb as anything I've asked or have yet to ask! Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-03-2012, 06:31 AM
(24-03-2012 06:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And if you're still worried about a dumb question, don't. It won't be as dumb as anything I've asked or have yet to ask! Big Grin
Truth Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Welcome Noelani

Sincere questions are never a problem.

And I have to concur with Erxomai...you won't ask anything as dumb and I have or will ask!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-03-2012, 09:53 AM
whenever I see "born and raised" I think of the fresh prince theme song.

Welcome to the forum.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Welcome, Noelani!

I have lots of dumb questions, having filed away the bible at age 10. But I find I don't even have to ask any, I come here and read and find them answered without having asked.

Some of the people here know more about the bible than any Christians I have ever known. They're filling in the blanks have been too lazy (or found too boring) to go to the bible to look up.

I don't remember what in specific made me an atheist at age 10, I was very devout then. I do remember what started the deconversion though - babies who weren't baptized and died hanging in limbo for ever. What a nasty concept. But mostly I think I was just ready to give up my imaginary friend - god.

Oddly, I think I may be too good and too compassionate a person to be religious. Lots of crudeness and cruelty to be found in religion, but what do you expect from a code of conduct that stems from an age with very little knowlwedge of - most anything.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-03-2012, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2012 07:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-03-2012 10:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Welcome, Noelani!

I have lots of dumb questions, having filed away the bible at age 10. But I find I don't even have to ask any, I come here and read and find them answered without having asked.

Some of the people here know more about the bible than any Christians I have ever known. They're filling in the blanks have been too lazy (or found too boring) to go to the bible to look up.

I don't remember what in specific made me an atheist at age 10, I was very devout then. I do remember what started the deconversion though - babies who weren't baptized and died hanging in limbo for ever. What a nasty concept. But mostly I think I was just ready to give up my imaginary friend - god.

Oddly, I think I may be too good and too compassionate a person to be religious. Lots of crudeness and cruelty to be found in religion, but what do you expect from a code of conduct that stems from an age with very little knowlwedge of - most anything.

There are no dumb questions. In my experience, it's the MOST obvious ones that haven't really ever been answered. My friends call me "Mr. 'wait wait wait' ", cuz I want the basics spelled out, and the assumptions examined.

Ah yes limbo. That place where that the religion that says it's built on "Tradition and Scripture" recently decided THAT tradition better go. Oh well. One of these days, the House of Cards will tip over.

Limbo was what started the Buckminster down the dark path. I remember looking at my 4th grade teacher, thinking "how in the hell can you GO from limbo to heaven", (and Purgatory to heaven), (since she had just told us the spiritual realm was "timeless"). Guess I still ask that same question, ad nauseam. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post