Just when I thought I was out, she pulls me back in

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 12:30 PM
RE: Just when I thought I was out, she pulls me back in
Your exchange with her reminds me of a relationship I have with a nephew's ex-wife. SHe posts that cartoon of an ape changing to a human in 5 or 6 steps and declares that it is wrong. And will defend it saying that that is what evolution teaches. I've told her countless times that tha cartoon is not a lesson in evolution, but a cartoon! She is one of those if monkeys turned into people why are there still monkeys? Type people. She states that she is lucky that she never studied evolution!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
24-05-2016, 01:28 PM
If Americans came from Europe, then why are there still Europeans?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
24-05-2016, 01:37 PM
You know, it sounds like she wants to have an argument, perhaps you should immediately bring up things that are hard to argue for and get her to defend the ridiculous things in the bible.

The Tower of Babel myth is my favorite, absolutely ridiculous on so many levels.

If she wants to assert her prayers are answered, a meme with that starving kid in Africa should follow shortly after. The problem of evil is always an uncomfortable subject for a believer.

That may not be the best approach though, just being dismissive of her taunts and refusing to take her seriously might be the way to go.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
24-05-2016, 01:49 PM
(24-05-2016 01:37 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You know, it sounds like she wants to have an argument, perhaps you should immediately bring up things that are hard to argue for and get her to defend the ridiculous things in the bible.

The Tower of Babel myth is my favorite, absolutely ridiculous on so many levels.

If she wants to assert her prayers are answered, a meme with that starving kid in Africa should follow shortly after. The problem of evil is always an uncomfortable subject for a believer.

That may not be the best approach though, just being dismissive of her taunts and refusing to take her seriously might be the way to go.

I've taken the high road and ignored her for so long on FB, but the meme was just so wrong. Actually I was more offended as an editor than I was as an atheist. Thumbsup

To get her to not delete my opposing comments and actually apologize was pretty huge. And we saw each other on Sunday and everything was just fine, even though I know she was thinking I was going to burn in hell.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
24-05-2016, 01:55 PM
You might point out to her that most christians accept evolution. Even Billy Graham gives it a nod. (I think he's still alive) The Catholic church, Methodists and most mainstream churches accept evolution. It's mostly the wacky, far right nuts that take the Bible literally instead of metaphorically and these are the nutjobs out to lunch on evolution. So it's interesting that not only do the thousands of christian denominations disagree on Bible interpretation they also disagree on acceptance of evolution.

Give this a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance...ous_groups

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-05-2016, 02:47 PM
(24-05-2016 01:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You might point out to her that most christians accept evolution. Even Billy Graham gives it a nod. (I think he's still alive) The Catholic church, Methodists and most mainstream churches accept evolution. It's mostly the wacky, far right nuts that take the Bible literally instead of metaphorically and these are the nutjobs out to lunch on evolution. So it's interesting that not only do the thousands of christian denominations disagree on Bible interpretation they also disagree on acceptance of evolution.

Give this a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance...ous_groups

That was discussed years ago and she said she didn't believe in evolution until I showed her that John Paul II believed in evolution and made it part of the RCC catechism. Then as soon as I sent the email to her she said she believed it. I've written about all of this in the past on here and my blog and pointed out just how sad that is, to not believe in something unless your church does.

----
24-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Not knowing how to think, too many folks settle for being told what to think.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2016, 03:04 PM
(24-05-2016 03:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Not knowing how to think, too many folks settle for being told what to think.

The very definition of sheeple.

One update to this: About three days after we stopped commenting, her mother got in there and told her that non-belief in a higher power is just as important as belief and that she should stop having such a narrow mind and broaden her worldview. She said FB is not the place for this type of discussion. My SIL said that she and I have agreed to disagree and that she has a very large worldview. I laughed my ass off and liked her mom's comment. Next time I see her I'll give her a hug.

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post