Just worried

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Just worried
I'm in a constant state of worrying about the religion that I use to follow. I've only began this new life without god, so I realize its natural to be like this. Beyond simply reading the awesome posts on this forum, what other things can I do or read that can help me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes willds97's post
29-04-2017, 07:18 AM
RE: Just worried

Give this vid a watch. Great channel.

If I may, what in particular are you worried about from your prior religion?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
29-04-2017, 07:33 AM
(29-04-2017 07:18 AM)Loom Wrote:  

Give this vid a watch. Great channel.

If I may, what in particular are you worried about from your prior religion?

I'm worried that I may be wrong, basically. I was raised up in this belief, and around 16 or so I started to work towards obeying the bible and god. And it drove me absolutely insane. I was constantly trying to "hear god" when in reality I was simply answering myself. So I guess you could say I'm even more worried that someone or myself will drag me back into this hellish lifestyle. I hope that makes sense. And thanks, I'll check out the video.
29-04-2017, 07:47 AM
(29-04-2017 07:33 AM)willds97 Wrote:  ...
I'm even more worried that someone or myself will drag me back into this hellish lifestyle.

Knowledge is the best armour.

And it's a pretty good weapon too, when you're ready to use it.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-04-2017, 07:48 AM
You may indeed be wrong Smile That's called honesty. None of us can really claim absolute certainty of knowledge - at least beyond anything more or less trivial. But over time you can learn more of critical thinking and the scientific method. Once you do that, you can at least have confidence that it will be difficult to fool you in most areas of your life. Religion is one aspect, but there are many claims that need critical evaluation in life. Politics, get-rich-quick schemes, relationships... It literally takes a lifetime to learn wisdom, don't be sad that when you're young you've got a long way to go, be excited that you've started taking your first steps Smile

So what exactly makes critical thinking and science so hot-shot? Very simply, all that the scientific method says is "if you make a claim, it needs to be tested before being accepted as true", plus a whole bunch of techniques to ensure that due diligence has been done to test these claims.

Critical thinking is more or less based on the same premise, but more looking at ways in which we can be fooled both by others and ourselves. Critical thinking is something that anyone can read up on and I think everyone *should* do so, because it will make you a difficult target for conmen, of which there are many in this world.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-04-2017, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 08:06 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(29-04-2017 06:56 AM)willds97 Wrote:  I'm in a constant state of worrying about the religion that I use to follow. I've only began this new life without god, so I realize its natural to be like this. Beyond simply reading the awesome posts on this forum, what other things can I do or read that can help me?

I read a fair number of atheist books after I dropped my belief in God. The one I found most helpful was God, The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger.

What I regret most is that I ever took up the burden of proof for God myself. (That, to me, is the main trick religions play on us -- shifting the burden of proof to us.) Once I dropped that, I stopped worrying so much.
29-04-2017, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 09:32 AM by jennybee.)
Bart Ehrman's books are great. I found both his books: The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction and The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings to be extremely helpful. It's good to know exactly where your beliefs came from and yeah, they weren't from a god Wink

Additionally, Richard Carrier has a great article available online called The Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire. Basically, Jesus (if you believe he existed at all) wasn't the only one running around claiming to have magical powers. This type of thing was quite common with all sorts of people claiming magical feats.

Also, Christianity adopted many of its principles from the Zoroastrians, a neighboring group of peoples who were highly skilled at conquering things. This was something that was also done quite frequently during this time period--one tribe morphing their own religion as an offshoot of a neighboring religion. The idea was if these people are skilled conquerors, they must have the right Gods. There is a great video on YouTube by Carrier called Disproving Gods with History and Science.

So why do we believe crazy shit like a magical sky genie living in the clouds? There's a psychological reason behind all of this (again not from a god but from the way our brains are set up via evolution. A great video again on YouTube describing this is by Andy Thomson on Why We Believe in Gods.

John Loftus talks about the Outsider Test for Faith in his book. Think of any religion (besides yours) that you might think is a lil nutty. I personally used the cargo cults for my Outsider Test for Faith. The cargo cult is a remote tribe of peoples who currently believe that airplanes coincide with their gods--so much so that they have actually built rustic runways, hoping their gods return. Sounds crazy to you? Well, not to them. They believe with all their hearts because it's what they were taught to be true.

How about your religion? What were you taught? A magical leprechaun lives in the clouds, granting wishes if you only love him enough. There's also a horned monster that lives in the underworld waiting to punish you if you didn't worship this sky leprechaun enough. If you told this to a cargo cult believer, they might think you were the one who was nuts Tongue

Guy P. Harrison has several great books--I really love 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God and 50 Simple Questions for Every Christian. He makes a great point in one of his books (I don't offhand remember which one) about the fact that, throughout history there have been a million different gods and goddesses (with new ones being created every day).

In keeping with Harrison's point with so many gods and goddesses floating around throughout history and in present and future time, as a Christian, how do you know you have the *right* one?

So here are your choices: You can spend a lifetime attempting to worship all gods and goddesses that ever were, are, or ever will be (and due to the sheer number, you will never ever be able to get to them all)--all the while hoping you have yourself covered. OR you can form your own opinions based on science and reason (and not what random people told you was "true") and live the one life you have to its fullest and base your decisions on logic and fact and on what you can see, feel, hear, touch, analyze to be true. The choice is up to you.

And lastly something to think about: If you never heard about the Christian version of God--would you even know he existed at all? No, obviously you would not-therefore, someone had to tell you about him. Just like someone told you about Santa Claus. If you grew up in another time or place, I guarantee you would believing in a different god and different belief system entirely. For instance, one of the world's oldest known religions involves the belief in the Lion Man. So if you were an Aurignacian living 40,000 years ago (well before Jesus), you would be practicing shamanism with the Lion Man Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
29-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(29-04-2017 07:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-04-2017 07:33 AM)willds97 Wrote:  ...
I'm even more worried that someone or myself will drag me back into this hellish lifestyle.

Knowledge is the best armour.

And it's a pretty good weapon too, when you're ready to use it.

Thumbsup

Thanks!
29-04-2017, 09:33 AM
(29-04-2017 09:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Bart Ehrman's books are great. I found both his books: The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction and The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings to be extremely helpful. It's good to know exactly where your beliefs came from and yeah, they weren't from a god Wink

Additionally, Richard Carrier has a great article available online called The Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire. Basically, Jesus (if you believe he existed at all) wasn't the only one running around claiming to have magical powers. This type of thing was quite common with all sorts of people claiming magical feats.

Also, Christianity adopted many of its principles from the Zoroastrians, a neighboring group of peoples who were highly skilled at conquering things. This was something that was also done quite frequently during this time period--one tribe morphing their own religion as an offshoot of a neighboring religion. The idea was if these people are skilled conquerors, they must have the right Gods. There is a great video on YouTube by Carrier called Disproving Gods with History and Science.

So why do we believe crazy shit like a magical sky genie living in the clouds? There's a psychological reason behind all of this (again not from a god but from the way our brains are set up via evolution. A great video again on YouTube describing this is by Andy Thomson on Why We Believe in Gods.

John Loftus talks about the Outsider Test for Faith in his book. Think of any religion (besides yours) that you might think is a lil nutty. I personally used the cargo cults for my Outsider Test for Faith. The cargo cult is a remote tribe of peoples who currently believe that airplanes coincide with their gods--so much so that they have actually built rustic runways, hoping their gods return. Sounds crazy to you? Well, not to them. They believe with all their hearts because it's what they were taught to be true.

How about your religion? What were you taught? A magical leprechaun lives in the clouds, granting wishes if you only love him enough. There's also a horned monster that lives in the underworld waiting to punish you if you didn't worship this sky leprechaun enough. If you told this to a cargo cult believer, they might think you were the one who was nuts Tongue

Guy P. Harrison has several great books--I really love is 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God and 50 Simple Questions for Every Christian. He makes a great point in one of his books (I don't offhand remember which one) about the fact that, throughout history there have been a million different gods and goddesses (with new ones being created every day).

In keeping with Harrison's point with so many gods and goddesses floating around throughout history and in present and future time, as a Christian, how do you know you have the *right* one?

So here are your choices: You can spend a lifetime attempting to worship all gods and goddesses that ever were, are, or ever will be (and due to the sheer number, you will never ever be able to get to them all)--all the while hoping you have yourself covered. OR you can form your own opinions based on science and reason (and not what random people told you was "true") and live the one life you have to its fullest and base your decisions on logic and fact and on what you can see, feel, hear, touch, analyze to be true. The choice is up to you.

And lastly something to think about: If you never heard about the Christian version of God--would you even know he existed at all? No, obviously you would not-therefore, someone had to tell you about him. Just like someone told you about Santa Claus. If you grew up in another time or place, I guarantee you would believing in a different god and different belief system entirely. For instance, one of the world's oldest known religions involves the belief in the Lion Man. So if you were an Aurignacian living 40,000 years ago (well before Jesus), you would be practicing shamanism with the Lion Man Wink

You make a lot of sense the part about every other religious group believing in itself really helped
29-04-2017, 09:35 AM
(29-04-2017 07:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  You may indeed be wrong Smile That's called honesty. None of us can really claim absolute certainty of knowledge - at least beyond anything more or less trivial. But over time you can learn more of critical thinking and the scientific method. Once you do that, you can at least have confidence that it will be difficult to fool you in most areas of your life. Religion is one aspect, but there are many claims that need critical evaluation in life. Politics, get-rich-quick schemes, relationships... It literally takes a lifetime to learn wisdom, don't be sad that when you're young you've got a long way to go, be excited that you've started taking your first steps Smile

So what exactly makes critical thinking and science so hot-shot? Very simply, all that the scientific method says is "if you make a claim, it needs to be tested before being accepted as true", plus a whole bunch of techniques to ensure that due diligence has been done to test these claims.

Critical thinking is more or less based on the same premise, but more looking at ways in which we can be fooled both by others and ourselves. Critical thinking is something that anyone can read up on and I think everyone *should* do so, because it will make you a difficult target for conmen, of which there are many in this world.

Im definitely excited to learn more and better my critical thinking
[+] 1 user Likes willds97's post