Justice Democrats (US Politics)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 09:59 PM
RE: Justice Democrats (US Politics)
(25-01-2017 09:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 09:31 PM)julep Wrote:  Not compared to the taxes you would have paid in the 1950s or 1960s.

"Crazy" is relative. Taxes support all sorts of infrastructure and transparent institutions and services, without which, a civil society would be impossible, and without which high incomes would not be possible. People with high incomes should pay high (crazy) taxes, as their high income rests entirely on the social order and social structures that taxes make possible and support.

Yes. Also the "high" taxes are only on dollars earned past a certain amount, not on the total income, not that you'd ever know that from the bitching of some higher income people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 01:36 AM
I always find it amusing when people who are doing exceptionally well start complaining about how much they're paying in taxes, or even more amusing, trying to convince poor people who barely have the ability to make ends meet when working full time, that "flat tax" is a good idea. Those who pay the high tax brackets are able to do so because they are relatively secure, and the brackets reflect that security. You tax the guy who doesn't have to worry about keeping his heat/power on.

Whenever this complaint comes up, I think of Chris Rock's bit about OJ Simpson:

(relevant bit starts at 3:20 mark)

"You got 20 million, and your wife wants ten, big deal. You ain't starvin'. But if you make $30,000 and your wife wants 15, you might have to kill her! ... Now I'm not saying he shoulda killed her, but I understand."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-01-2017, 06:36 AM
Americans --- anytime something doesn't work -- their first best solution is to give it a new name and keep selling it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2017, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 07:49 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(26-01-2017 06:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Americans --- anytime something doesn't work -- their first best solution is to give it a new name and keep selling it.

This isn't the same thing. It's the Bernie wing of the democratic party. They're also pledging not to take any corporate money. How is that "the same thing"? That's a pretty big difference. Read their platform before making assumptions.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
26-01-2017, 07:55 AM
(26-01-2017 07:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 06:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Americans --- anytime something doesn't work -- their first best solution is to give it a new name and keep selling it.

This isn't the same thing. It's the Bernie wing of the democratic party. They're also pledging not to take any corporate money. How is that "the same thing"? That's a pretty big difference. Read their platform before making assumptions.

Tweedledee and Tweedledum I'm sure would insist the same.

I don't see it as anything new or different.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2017, 08:24 AM
(26-01-2017 07:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 07:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  This isn't the same thing. It's the Bernie wing of the democratic party. They're also pledging not to take any corporate money. How is that "the same thing"? That's a pretty big difference. Read their platform before making assumptions.

Tweedledee and Tweedledum I'm sure would insist the same.

Then you're being unnecessarily cynical.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
26-01-2017, 08:55 AM
(26-01-2017 08:24 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 07:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Tweedledee and Tweedledum I'm sure would insist the same.

Then you're being unnecessarily cynical.

Making a few minor changes to something doesn't make it "new"....

It's just recycled shit. Work on GM vehicles long enough, and you'll understand.. Wink

That's not cynicism. It's conclusions drawn on observation.

26-01-2017, 09:59 AM
(26-01-2017 08:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
Making a few minor changes to something doesn't make it "new"....

You big silly.

It''s not about new ... it's about reclaiming the old.

But I guess there's always a few who will sit back and enjoy the harvest of another person's labour.

You just relax. No need to trouble yourself.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-01-2017, 03:40 PM
I swear! If I listen to this guy much longer he's going to convert me to whatever he's selling.

Woof!

Big Grin

29-01-2017, 07:18 PM
(29-01-2017 03:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I swear! If I listen to this guy much longer he's going to convert me to whatever he's selling.

Woof!

Big Grin

The man is wise. Notice that through that entire video, he says the word "biblically" a couple of times, but other than that no mention of religion is needed to hear his message.

I'm sure that fact is lost on him, but regardless his perspective on humanity is righteous enough.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post