Justification of hell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Justification of hell?
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I'll just do it here..

So two weeks ago, my brother and I were driving back home from a funeral for two hours. I don't know how, but somehow we ended up talking about all kinds of philosophical stuff. I know he was an atheist too, but I wanted an update on his views, so we discussed god, the bible and all that crap.

At some point we talked about the concept of Hell, and I asked him if, under the assumption that hell existed and somehow we still got our pain receptors in the afterlife, he thinks that there could be anyone who actually deserved spending eternity in hell. Because I really think no one could ever possibly deserve that. But he actually said yes Blink.

That got me thinking if I'm just too pacifistic or if he really is crazy Huh. I think someone who thinks that anyone would deserve hell (yes, including mass murderers etc.) hasn't really thought about eternity enough.
Anyone of you have the same opinion that he does?

I don't really take him seriously tbh, besides not believing in a god, he loves conspiracy stories and at least 30 mins of that drive he told me about "Noetic Sciences" and that there is evidence that suggests our thoughts could influence matter outside our bodies.... he's 25 btw Smile.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 09:15 AM
RE: Justification of hell?
I'm with you on this one. Any crime or sin or whatever, even genocide, is finite. Infinite punishment for a finite crime is unjust.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
12-09-2013, 09:24 AM
As the personal idea of atheism began to take hold, one of the most difficult things for me was to let go the idea of hell -- or rather that very bad people don't suffer on beyond death. An example might be Hitler -- the thought that the worst thing he received was a bullet in the head.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
I have heard a doctrine [from the denomination I was involved with] that it wasn't JUST christians who are ressurected with new bodies, but also the sinners as well "so they could feel the torment of hell". I found that to be the most repulsive doctrine and was dumbfounded that someone would STILL serve a god who would create such a mechanism . . . merely for those who didn't "believe he existed". The most absurdly heinous philosophy ever devised by man.

Fortunately, it isn't true. Even IF the biblical god were real, and the bible was true, . . . people STILL wouldn't go to hell. There is one verse that proves this. . . . . unless the biblical god is a liar.

Again, it amazes me that people can serve a "god" who creates such a place and still believe "he" is a "god of love".
[+] 3 users Like DeavonReye's post
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Coupla elements of the human condition make hell viable as a concept. A sense of justice... and that spoilt little brat inside us that says the world is not fair. Mostly that second one. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I posted this about hell in another thread.

It occurred to me that one of the most evil aspects of Christianity is the uncertainty of hell.

But Christianity leaves you wondering, you just have to hope you managed to please God, and hope you picked the right church, and hope you've atoned for all your sins.

That must be terrifying for someone on their death bed, to be unsure whether you lived a good enough life.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Hell is a completely non-biblical concept. It was cooked up to scare children.
Everything about it is bullshit. Needs time, needs fuel, needs intact emotional and sensory systems. 100 % bullshit. The Hebrews had no idea that even resembled hell.
Thank you Dante Alighieri for our concept of hell.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM
(12-09-2013 09:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Hell is a completely non-biblical concept. It was cooked up to scare children.
Everything about it is bullshit. Needs time, needs fuel, needs intact emotional and sensory systems. 100 % bullshit. The Hebrews had no idea that even resembled hell.
Thank you Dante Alighieri for our concept of hell.

Yes, that's true. It's hard to separate it though today. Ministers not even fundie types, use the punishment of hell as an excuse rather than an legitimate reason to try to convert people to their faith.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks burning for eternity would be appropriate for any crime. Or being pushed down cliffs for eternity, as our prophet Mark said, would be the punishment for my kind Wink.

I know that the concept of hell itself is complete nonsense (I did enjoy reading the divine comedy though Tongue). I'm just afraid that there might be many people who actually think of something like hell as a fitting punishment. I know many people might say murderers, rapists etc should burn in hell, but if someone still says that after seriously thinking about what "an eternity" really is, that would be horrifying.

I think spending eternity as an actively thinking being would be cruel to begin with, no need for lakes of fire.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Taro, as someone who is maybe 15-20 years (I hope) from death I agree. Eternal life strikes one as difficult.

I will say that I wish hell on a lot of people. Like the bitch who would have run into me because she was texting while driving and barely slowed down at the stop sign. It was a good thing while walking I noticed her driving was distracted. Damn good thing I am not "god". A lot of you would burn.