KC's pug

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2012, 03:40 PM
RE: KC's pug
(18-06-2012 01:53 PM)k37713 Wrote:  ERX..The trick to teaching frisbee is teaching the "catch" command. Start with a ball or some toy the dog likes- put into a sit and throw the toy until the dog gets this down varying the distance the dog is sitting from you-- from there transition to the frisbee and then keep going from there. Its actually quite easy to get them trained to catch a frisbee if they are "toy" motivated Smile ALSO.. as mine got better at it.. I found it useful to have them first run behind and around me while i threw the frisbee so they could time the catch.
It's easier to just get a golden retriever - it's already hard-wired in their brain.

But, no, you have to get one of those freakin' mutant dogs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2012, 03:50 PM
(18-06-2012 03:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  But, no, you have to get one of those freakin' mutant dogs.

This is not the face of a mutant....
[Image: Snuffy.jpg]
Heart Snuffy is a mutt hybrid!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
18-06-2012, 03:58 PM
(18-06-2012 02:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-06-2012 01:53 PM)k37713 Wrote:  ERX..The trick to teaching frisbee is teaching the "catch" command. Start with a ball or some toy the dog likes- put into a sit and throw the toy until the dog gets this down varying the distance the dog is sitting from you-- from there transition to the frisbee and then keep going from there. Its actually quite easy to get them trained to catch a frisbee if they are "toy" motivated Smile ALSO.. as mine got better at it.. I found it useful to have them first run behind and around me while i threw the frisbee so they could time the catch.
Thanks, Kellie! I'll start working on the "catch." She's pretty good about chasing and even bringing it back (IF she wants me to throw it again). But I was wondering how to figure out how to get her to catch. Thanks a bunch for the tips. Smile

Of course.. if you get stuck on something feel free to email me-- Ive trained a couple and helped others with theirs too.. I also make it a rule to not let them play with thier retrieving toys and or frisbee's unless we are training/playing together - when they see it at this point they get excited to "play" Drooling

and Chas- retreivers, sporting and working dogs tend to be the easiest to train--but all dogs can learn ( you should have seen some of the wtf pups in some of my old agility classes that I atteneded with my first giant Smile IMO its just that the later have a stronger urge to please their humans - aka "drive"

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
18-06-2012, 04:10 PM
(18-06-2012 03:50 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-06-2012 03:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  But, no, you have to get one of those freakin' mutant dogs.

This is not the face of a mutant....
[Image: Snuffy.jpg]
Heart Snuffy is a mutt hybrid!
Must... resist... cuteness... Sad Ooohhh, cute widdle puppykins ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah Chas, I was after a Retriever, one that was already trained, but I didn't look away from the cuteness in time!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
18-06-2012, 04:18 PM
(18-06-2012 03:58 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I also make it a rule to not let them play with thier retrieving toys and or frisbee's unless we are training/playing together - when they see it at this point they get excited to "play" Drooling
Oh good idea!
It probably would have helped keep down on the mess of toys strewn all over the living room if I had followed this advice from the start. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-06-2012, 06:12 PM
She is such a cutie! You are both lucky to have found each other.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-06-2012, 07:07 PM
(18-06-2012 04:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-06-2012 03:58 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I also make it a rule to not let them play with thier retrieving toys and or frisbee's unless we are training/playing together - when they see it at this point they get excited to "play" Drooling
Oh good idea!
It probably would have helped keep down on the mess of toys strewn all over the living room if I had followed this advice from the start. Dodgy

It's ok to have a mess of toys - but you only play with her with the one, and it is kept out of reach when you are not playing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-06-2012, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 11:02 PM by Atothetheist.)
[Image: NTVYM.jpg]

[Image: MLQgR.jpg]

[Image: aYUhn.jpg]

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
18-06-2012, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 11:01 PM by Atothetheist.)
lol, beat my puppy, Tank.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.