KC, you're a twit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: KC, you're a twit.
(27-11-2012 01:02 PM)Humakt Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 12:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Freethought, in a nutshell, is:

"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."
Seems like your placing a limitation on free thought there, if your not free to believe what has insufficient evidence your no free. I think what your definition describes is an empiricist, but meh Smile

Well, I agree with the statement. Here is the wiki on freethought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

And - the thoughts are free. So, at any time, you can discover evidence that serves as a foundation for believing something.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2012, 01:08 PM
(26-11-2012 09:36 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 09:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe I'll start identifying as a Dennettist. Drinking Beverage

That comes a little too close to dentist for.my liking.
I've tried to convert people, but it's like pulling teeth.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-11-2012, 01:16 PM
(27-11-2012 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've tried to convert people, but it's like pulling teeth.
For whom?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-11-2012, 01:48 PM
(27-11-2012 01:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 01:02 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Seems like your placing a limitation on free thought there, if your not free to believe what has insufficient evidence your no free. I think what your definition describes is an empiricist, but meh Smile

Well, I agree with the statement. Here is the wiki on freethought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

And - the thoughts are free. So, at any time, you can discover evidence that serves as a foundation for believing something.
Yeah, didn't mean it to sound like I was disagreeing with how you'd define it, just meant that the definition both your one and the wiki and the generally held one doesn't sound that free to me.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2012, 06:42 AM
I like James Randi's (http://www.randi.org/) use of the word "sceptic" in this context. A sceptic is someone who accepts knowledge provisionally in accordance with whether the evidence that accompanies the knowledge is consistent with the ordinary or extraordinary nature of the claim, and is prepared to let go of previously acquired knowledge if new knowledge comes accompanied by a sufficient weight of evidence.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post