KMFDM_Kid2000 vs. Christian Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
RE: KMFDM_Kid2000 vs. Christian Forums
I got a canned PM from one of the staff, "FreeInChrist":

Re: My Apostasy From Christianity
Hi,

The post quoted below is being removed for staff review. After review, you will be contacted.

FreeinChrist
Supervisor

In Reply to your post My Apostasy From Christianity

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
translation: "We can't beat you, so we're going to systematically remove all evidence of the fact."

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Why not just let god moderate their forum as a display of faith?

[+] 8 users Like KMFDM_Kid2000's post
08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:I kind of figured it would be. Guilty of bias maybe, and I shouldn't be that way, but I'd rather read something worthwhile. I plan on taking in some more of Sam Harris' stuff. He's definitely outside of the box, and I like that.
Well, my problems with Mcdowell: He was actually quoted somewhere (unrelated to book) as saying the internet is a great threat to xians, because xian children should not be given free access to information and should not be exposed to different points of view. I paraphrase, but you get the idea. That is the real reason I hate this guy: he wants to keep kids from learning or being exposed to any type of diversity because it might hurt their faith. So: he cares more about Christianity than he does about children, education and their future.

As for the book, it is the type of thing convincing to people who already believe the same things he does, and unconvincing to everyone else. It was a lot of bible-quoting and patting himself on the back for reading the bible, and using the bible as evidence of things and using the bible as evidence that the bible is divinely inspired, and no actual logic in the whole thing. And it's really big, which makes it even more painful to read.

As for San Harris, I like reading him even when he says stupid things and is clearly wrong. I don't know why, I just like him.

Quote:As if faith were quantifiable. Read on, you get an asshat later on arguing that because science cannot prove cold --> Therefore god exists. I asked him which one then? And proceeded to list off 3 entire postfuls of deity names. I lol'ed.
I did end up reading the whole thing, but parts of it were painful to read.

(08-05-2013 08:37 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  translation: "We can't beat you, so we're going to systematically remove all evidence of the fact."
Exactly. No wonder they like that McDowell guy, he also thinks it's dangerous to be exposed to other points of view. Obviously, their faith is very fragile thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
When I left Christianity in 2007, I felt the need to depart from my Xian martial arts dojo, where I was a 2nd-degree black belt instructor and the first one in the school to achieve the position of Chaplain Associate, because I didn't want to be a hypocrite and live a dual life.

The dojo master (or "shihan") tried to convince me that I was on the wrong track, and that all my doubts and questions had been taken care of by Josh McDowell and C. S. Lewis. He also stated that I'd be on the receiving end of "God's lightning bolts and 2X4".

Needless to say, I haven't had any contact with him since I left the faith. I learned a lot from the guy about martial arts and riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles, but he was quite the autocratic fundamentalist and I'm glad to be free of his influence.

As for McDowell, I've been checking out the rebuttals to his works at ironchariots.org - interesting stuff. I'm also reading a book called "God's Defenders: What They Believe and Why They Are Wrong" by S. T. Joshi, which deals in part with C. S. Lewis.
[+] 3 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
08-05-2013, 01:46 PM
That forum is increasingly frustrating. It's worse than arguing with a brick wall. It's like arguing with a brick wall that is falling apart and occasionally a brick slams into your head, leaving you with the sharp pain that you are wasting your time.

Evolve
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
My aunt has a C.S. Lewis book, "Mere Christianity" sitting on her coffee table. I am curious to see the circular drivel contained within, only to better arm myself against the "saved". I'm only familiar with Lewis as far as some quotes of his I see mocked on atheist FB pages, and um, now to sound stupid, didn't he write the Narnia series? *Google Search to quell my brain fart* Yes he did, and I do remember reading about subtle and not so subtle christian influences in that series. Honestly, I've never read a thing he's written other than the Facebook quotes I see by him that get eviscerated by the rational.

And don't ever think you're wasting your time. I was a hardcore Young Earth creationist. All it took to turn that into the Old Earth model was learning what a diploma mill was. From Old Earth model to BBT took a while, but it happened. You'll never get a theist to concede an argument right then and there, but I'm proof trying produces results. Baby steps, seeds of doubt, education and simply time and a receptive mind. Theist asshats do come around to reason.

What you do is never for naught. I wasted a week+ there just to have it deleted. I would do it all over again because I know SOMEONE out there read it that now has at least a shred of doubt they didn't before. And one person can change it all, given the right circumstances. Never surrender.

[+] 3 users Like KMFDM_Kid2000's post
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
(08-05-2013 02:47 PM)KMFDM_Kid2000 Wrote:  Baby steps, seeds of doubt, education and simply time and a receptive mind. Theist asshats do come around to reason.

What you do is never for naught. I wasted a week+ there just to have it deleted. I would do it all over again because I know SOMEONE out there read it that now has at least a shred of doubt they didn't before. And one person can change it all, given the right circumstances. Never surrender.

Very true. Years ago when I was still an Xian, I spent a lot of time on the Amazon Discussion Boards in a thread called "Dawkins and Dangerous Ideas II". The thread's atheist founder was a prolific Amazon reviewer named Stephen Haines; his handle on the DB was "The Bunyip". We went back and forth for quite awhile debating about God, science, faith, reason, and so on.

Looking back, I'd say that he helped begin my journey towards atheism. By the time I left the faith and posted about my deconversion on the DB, he was dealing with terminal illness, yet he still offered to be there for me. He passed away soon after, but I'll never forget him and his passion for rationality and truth and how he helped change my life for the better.
[+] 5 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
(08-05-2013 01:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That forum is increasingly frustrating. It's worse than arguing with a brick wall. It's like arguing with a brick wall that is falling apart and occasionally a brick slams into your head, leaving you with the sharp pain that you are wasting your time.

Well, that's an interesting way to put it!

While I have no experience dabbling in their waters, frankly I have no interest in doing so; I like exposing my brain to as little stupidity as possibly, but through my observations I have grown a liking toward referring to arguing against people like over there as "Throwing a wet sponge at a titanium wall."

You know your not getting anywhere with your efforts and once you stop you are left feeling like an idiot, mourning all the effort you put into lobbing that wet sponge at that titanium wall.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
(08-05-2013 04:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 01:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That forum is increasingly frustrating. It's worse than arguing with a brick wall. It's like arguing with a brick wall that is falling apart and occasionally a brick slams into your head, leaving you with the sharp pain that you are wasting your time.

Well, that's an interesting way to put it!

While I have no experience dabbling in their waters, frankly I have no interest in doing so; I like exposing my brain to as little stupidity as possibly, but through my observations I have grown a liking toward referring to arguing against people like over there as "Throwing a wet sponge at a titanium wall."

You know your not getting anywhere with your efforts and once you stop you are left feeling like an idiot, mourning all the effort you put into lobbing that wet sponge at that titanium wall.

I do find it interesting though. It is a learning experience to see how they reason, how they "think" and how they respond to criticism. It just isn't always in a way that I can justifiably argue is sane.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post