KONY

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
KONY
Has anyone seen this video that is going viral?

I haven't watched it yet, I hear it's horrific. I've heard stories about some of the topic in this video though. For the last couple of days every time I see this link pop up somewhere or hear people talking about it I get an uneasy feeling about agendas.

I found this article about the situation. I find this interesting.

Anyone have thoughts one way or another?
I found this article too. Hmmm....

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-03-2012, 01:26 AM
RE: KONY
Yes, he's one fucked up individual.

There's a couple of aussie girls that have rallied behind this too -

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8431...-kony-2012

I hope they can stop this barbarian Angry

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Get Kony......then get Tony Blair, George Bush, Barack Obama and David Cameron.

All warmongering bastards with an agenda for power.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
I just heard about this on the news this morning.
The story ended saying something like, "Critics say the filmmakers have exaggerated the situation." Oh, so instead of there being 10 massacres, there were really only 8 massacres. That's much more acceptable. Angry

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah I watched the video. I also heard all of the shit spouted about the Invisible Children group. then I heard their rebuttal which seemed reasonable to me. Fuck I mean, christian charities do sooooo much bad and give even less to the cause they claim to be championing...

Anyways my only real critique isn't of the video or the people who are making it, it's of the people who watch it and react as if they were unaware of the horrible atrocities committed around the world every day.

I was talking about this this morning. The whole reason that the First world problems theme has become so popular is because the first world is vastly different from everywhere else. Our crime is paltry in comparison to some countries every day activity. It's fucked. The world is dangerous. We have it easy. And the worst part is there are literally people out there that are completely unaware of the reality of human nature. Too busy on their cell phones I guess.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I haven't watched it, but it's been all over Reddit since yesterday... I really don't know what it's about. Is it SFW? As in, not any sort of explicit/violent material that could get me in trouble?

Reading about massacres in the thread, I'm hesitant to watch from work.
08-03-2012, 11:15 AM
(08-03-2012 11:01 AM)kineo Wrote:  I haven't watched it, but it's been all over Reddit since yesterday... I really don't know what it's about. Is it SFW? As in, not any sort of explicit/violent material that could get me in trouble?

Reading about massacres in the thread, I'm hesitant to watch from work.

Nah its all good. If I had to rate it like a film then I would give it a PG.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Ok, I'll check it out, thanks!
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I only watched bits of it, I couldn't stand some of the editing. It is not a reporting style but an emotional documentary style.

Kony isn't in Uganda anymore, and his power is a lot less. There are still many problems, of course.

My beef is this organization's ethics. Too questionable, but people just give, they don't research the cause at all or where the money is exactly going and how it will help. I am probably of the unpopular thought that Africa needs less aid and more support. Is the saying "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"? I don't know what the solution is for these things, but what people think is helping isn't, and it may be even causing more damage.

My heart breaks for the children.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
08-03-2012, 11:55 AM
(08-03-2012 11:37 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I only watched bits of it, I couldn't stand some of the editing. It is not a reporting style but an emotional documentary style.

Kony isn't in Uganda anymore, and his power is a lot less. There are still many problems, of course.

My beef is this organization's ethics. Too questionable, but people just give, they don't research the cause at all or where the money is exactly going and how it will help. I am probably of the unpopular thought that Africa needs less aid and more support. Is the saying "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"? I don't know what the solution is for these things, but what people think is helping isn't, and it may be even causing more damage.

My heart breaks for the children.

This is a common theme that I've heard over the last few years myself. And the blog article you linked says that Kony was pushed out of Uganda in 2004, right? And as of 2006 Uganda was in peace talks with the LRA and Kony. Maybe I need to watch the whole video. It's difficult to do at work and pay attention.

But I agree that a new solution needs to be reached for foreign aid. People need to be helped on their feet, but not led into a life of dependance on handouts. This is true of any welfare or assistance. Maybe that means restructuring how the aid is handled or cutting it altogether. But this isn't the first time I've heard of government corruption based around receiving foreign aid. As much as we'd like to be able to just send money overseas to fix a problem, sometimes it just doesn't. And sometimes it only makes things worse. I also don't know what the answer is... but I'm skeptical of this video. Again... I need to watch the whole thing I suppose.