KONY

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
RE: KONY
(08-03-2012 12:20 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Anyone have thoughts one way or another?

We have ninja doctors who are specialized in surgically removing the cancer in the most minimalistic invasive manner before handing off the scalpel to the Ugandans and disappearing into the night. They should only be called in for extreme cases. My guess is the Navy Seals and Special Operations Forces are prepping for surgery.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2012, 07:33 PM
The video is mad at the government for not wanting to get involved in foreign wars, but frankly I'm with the government on this. Our military *is* supposed to protect our national interests and our people. No amount of Americans being pissed off makes genocide in another country our business or burden; that's the America people across the world hate.

On the other hand...we bombed Gaddafi's government last year. What's really all that different about us taking military action against this asshole? Especially since the request is not for direct military involvement, but rather training and "technology" (though is that recon technology? Weapons?) for central African governments.

Personally, I'd love to kick the bastard in the teeth that makes kids pick up guns and kill their families. But is that what we *should* do?
08-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I just watched this and It made me cry uncontrollably. This is sickening. In 2012, we still have this kind of conduct. And worse, it's being tolerated. The film maker is fucking genius.
09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
The video is very moving but then, so is Forrest Gump. No idea if invisible children is a trustworthy organisation, it's hard to tell isn't it?

They do a pretty good job of a rebuttal here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechi...iques.html

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
(09-03-2012 06:34 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  The video is very moving but then, so is Forrest Gump. No idea if invisible children is a trustworthy organisation, it's hard to tell isn't it?

They do a pretty good job of a rebuttal here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechi...iques.html

I was going to post that link. The organization might not be perfect but its work is needed, they have a rehab center, give warnings on attacks, they're working on providing water and sanitation and teaching those people to read and count among other things. Stoping Kony is just a part of the effort but I hope we'll get there someday.

Disregard my old posts.
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
(08-03-2012 11:37 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I only watched bits of it, I couldn't stand some of the editing. It is not a reporting style but an emotional documentary style.

Kony isn't in Uganda anymore, and his power is a lot less. There are still many problems, of course.

My beef is this organization's ethics. Too questionable, but people just give, they don't research the cause at all or where the money is exactly going and how it will help. I am probably of the unpopular thought that Africa needs less aid and more support. Is the saying "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"? I don't know what the solution is for these things, but what people think is helping isn't, and it may be even causing more damage.

My heart breaks for the children.

I have to agree with what you said here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-03-2012, 09:48 AM
To not know these things and be surprised that Uganda has "problems" you really need to be ignorant on the world around you. Sorry, but it's more than just common knowledge. It's a big part of the world, the cradle of our civilization that has been raped and destroyed by WHITE people (fucking pink skins) and then left for the vultures to rip apart what little was left there. I spent at least half of my life ashamed I am a fucking pink skin. First it was because what the whites did to Native Americans, I was crying about that when I was 12 years old, after that I started looking into other white bullshits and realized until I was 15 that there was not a single race that the whits didn't rape, kill, enslave, destroy, obliterate.

You can cry about Kony and the poor little Ugandans, but then just look around you, the Aborigines, the Native Americans, the whole South America, the whole Africa, some parts of Asia (Hong Kong for example), the Maori. Know that and be ashamed of your ancestors!

Now for a little OT, partly. It always surprised me how the whole South America is crazy about Christianity, they count as the biggest Christians in the world, right after the Pollacks, Croats and Irish, but they forget they that Christianity was forced at them in the most horrible of all Christian baptism attempts, with Gods greatest servant Cortes and his bunch. A similar thing happened with Turks in my neighboring Bosnia, around 500 years ago Turks came, killed everyone who wasn't a Muslim, so most of the people became Muslims at that time. Today, they will kill you if you tell them they are not Muslims, that they were Croats or Serbs once, but they were forced to become Muslims for survival.

Funny creatures we people are... Scary and funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn9gJmklJ...plpp_video

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson